Passing Rock of Gibraltar (WIP)

Started by 3Dships, March 06, 2015, 03:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3Dships

Hi guys,

For many years I've been keeping a check on Terragen's development progress. Noticing Version 3's features made me give it a serious try for the first time. Must say thanks to the regular forum contributors that made available various useful bits & pieces I used to produce the image attached & Planetside Software for the trial version.

Regards, H4n$

The passions are the winds that fill the ship's sails; although they sometimes cause its destruction it could not proceed without them. -Voltaire-

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Indeed, a very nice render, and welcome to this forum! We hope (I do, at least) to see more of your work. Great ships also.

If you're open to C&C, I'd have one comment; the wake. I think it is too straight and hard, and I would break it up, soften it further behind the ship. And perhaps give it some reflectivity, so sun-hit areas will be lighter, like at the bow of the ship.

mhaze

Welcome.  A vey good start and an unusual image.  I agree with dune about the wake.

3Dships

Thanks guys, much appreciated. In the end I'm just a 3D modeller... Only been at it (TG) for about a week so still exploring possibilities!. A really good wake is difficult to achieve in any 3D package & with TG I still have to figure out lots (-: The foam needs volume & gradients (fading) for both the pattern & colour. Also have to look at improving the wave pattern generated by the ships. Luckily there's guys like yourself that have shared their knowledge on this forum. Still some of that left to dissect before asking questions.

Regards, H4n$
The passions are the winds that fill the ship's sails; although they sometimes cause its destruction it could not proceed without them. -Voltaire-

Dune

A fractal warp (watch the sizes) and stretching of the voronoi foam is the easiest way for the wake, and/or a Photoshop) painted mask.

3Dships

Thanks for those pointers. I will defo have a look at that (-: It was actually seeing your (& more specifically the beach) pictures & imagery that Hannes, DandelO & various other regular forum contributors achieved that made me feel that the time could be right to have a go with TG... Since progress has been well beyond my expectations I'm about to fork out but still have to decide on which TG version?! Obviously, I haven't come around to assessing animation capabilities for my 3Dships purposes yet. That sailing ship animation Hannes did was very impressive though... Guess, everything can be done with blood, sweat & bit of dedication...

Regards, H4n$

Oshyan

Excellent work - particularly the latest version - and especially for only having used TG for a week or so!

- Oshyan

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

3Dships

Thanks guys (-:

It is mainly due to TG3's feature set & the members of this forum who made it pretty straight forward to research & put together things so far (-:

I'm not anywhere finished though as I only managed to find time to adjust the Painted mask for the foam a bit. I have to build a setup to visualise the rules of the road at sea. Ideally, I would end up with a default seascape where the weather / seastate can be adjusted easily & both the static (buoys & stuff) & moving objects (watercraft) can be popped in as complete modules including their interaction (foam/wake) with the water. This would allow for being able to move the various objects (including their interaction with the water) around to visualise the various scenarios to explain the rules at sea. Ideally, navigation lights & animation would be included as well. At the moment I still have to figure out a way to attach wake/foam to a ship...

Regards, H4nz

Dune

That sounds like an intriguing venture. The wake part isn't that hard; you can make one (or more, if wakes are very different) Photoshop greyscale mask, import it in an image map shader (leave at default, but set the size) and attach a transform shader to it, in which you click the location and angle of ship 1. For ship 2, add another transform shader with location and rotation (and perhaps size) and add through a merge shader. Etcetera.

3Dships

Thanks a lot for those pointers Dune (-: I was already under the impression that a lot is now possible with Terragen. I also see loads of mathematical nodes available & was wondering if it could be possible to build a clip file which creates a 3D Kelvin Wake pattern on a lake or sphere surface?! I'm having a dig for the maths required to do this. I already got the code for a Houdini Kelvin Wake Mesh deformer & got in touch with a developer that coded a Kelvin Wake deformer plugin for Maya as well. Is there any maths wizards on this forum that could have any idea if this is at all possible?

bobbystahr

For those like mtself who have no idea what a Kelvin Wake loos like mr google says this:
https://thatsmaths.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/kelvin-wake-duck.jpg
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

There are a few math wizards around,  Mogn is one, Oysteroid... they might chime in one of these days.