screwing around with architecture

Started by TheBadger, July 04, 2015, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Quote from: Kadri on July 07, 2015, 04:37:55 PM

This is the same issue maybe :

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19431.msg190539.html#msg190539

Basic smoothing might help hopefully.

Mesh displacer. OK, I have to read that thread real close again now. I am in T3 and the full pro version. It is interesting though. When I open this project, "displacing/deforming mesh" happens automatically before the project is fully open. I am not sure what that is doing?
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Not sure what problem you have. But the important part is in Matt's answers on that link in the second page.
You have to smooth the normals of your object before importing to TG3 if you want to render with Ray trace object OFF.
If this is your problem it might be easy to fix hopefully.

TheBadger

not even sure what is meant by smooth normals. I know how to smooth geometry, but is that the same? I am modeling this in Maya if that maters?
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

OK really last one. JUst wanted to do some better post.
[attachimg=1]
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Don't add more polygons (don't subdivide). You only smooth the normals. The polygon count doesn't change.
If you need to have more polygons that is another thing.
The most basic way (i don't use Maya) is our standard friend Poseray .
Maya sure must have a similar option.

Edit: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17384.msg168591.html#msg168591
        There are better threads around too i think about this.
        But you have a Mac i think?

fleetwood

I think J. Meyer's recent post on 3d models is probably very relevant to this.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20209.msg199715.html#msg199715

What I just found is that unchecking Double-sided surface in my cube object gives the edges a much better look.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on July 07, 2015, 06:36:44 PM

Yep, same solution for a different problem.

Ah ha...yes it's a solid...double sided is mainly for single pixel thick planes/windows and stuff like that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

unchecking Double-sided surface blows up my model.
[attachimg=1]

:-[ ???
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Try "smooth normals" or whatever it is in Maya.  That was what i mean.

Kadri

We can try the most basic way. Upload one rock without any texture to me if you will.I will try it.

Dune

Something else I notice, but I might be wrong; are your corners really rounded? Looking at the poly edges you don't see the corner in the smallest corner polys move inward slightly, if you get my point. Hard to see though.

bobbystahr

There's that; and I noticed they needed a rounded bevel as they look razor sharp and an ancient building would have a fair bit of the sharpness worn off over time.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist