screwing around with architecture

Started by TheBadger, July 04, 2015, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Promising project.
Regarding the maya screenies: to me that looks like you are modeling these blocks
as if they were to be rendered with a renderer that adds subdivs on render time
and utilizes a smmoth modifier (or whatever that's called in maya).
Provided that I'm right you'd have to either change the modeling style and use hard
edges her or you'd have to subdivide you modle before exporting twice.Or even better
change that doubled? center edges to single edges and then subdivide twice.Thus you'd
get nice smooth corners with the help of the stopping edges you already have at the
corners.That's what they are there for usually.And they are absolutely pointless,if you
export your model as is.
Hope the above is understandable.
I'd like to address that in the other thread in the next days btw.

Kadri

Quote from: j meyer on July 08, 2015, 12:08:11 PM

Would be good to have all those kind of things in one place.

Michael if you can find the equivalent "normal smoothing" export of obj files like in Poseray. You should do this without much problems.
The balance between subdivided polygons and suited degrees of normal on edges isn't so hard to find.
With high degrees for normal smoothing you can even displace a very low poly cube quite drastic as you can see below.
There is just one place you can see a little what is happening. And you don't need this kind of high displacement on edges at all.
Without smoothing to a certain degree it breaks apart.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on July 08, 2015, 12:58:49 PM
Quote from: j meyer on July 08, 2015, 12:08:11 PM

Would be good to have all those kind of things in one place.

Michael if you can find the equivalent "normal smoothing" export of obj files like in Poseray. You should do this without much problems.
The balance between subdivided polygons and suited degrees of normal on edges isn't so hard to find.
With high degrees for normal smoothing you can even displace a very low poly cube quite drastic as you can see below.
There is just one place you can see a little what is happening. And you don't need this kind of high displacement on edges at all.
Without smoothing to a certain degree it breaks apart.

Could you maybe put that base cube in File Sharing as a lot of us don't have the software to make one?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

@ Kadri
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/57133/importing-smooth-models-from-maya-.html
I found this. I will try it and see if it does what we are talking about today or next.

Thanks all.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

No answers in the Maya forums Michael?
That link is still a little confusing...to me at least.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on July 09, 2015, 03:24:03 PM

No answers in the Maya forums Michael?
That link is still a little confusing...to me at least.

I saw this there that seemed helpful:

I had the same problem - on maya select your mesh, under polygons menu go to Mesh-Smooth then set your divisions. then save you file

hope this helps

Is that what you were aiming at?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

Quote from: Kadri on July 09, 2015, 07:17:17 PM

This looks kinda close...?
http://www.3dtutorialzone.com/tutorial?id=4

How so? I know how to save out an OBJ. I thought you believed the problem was normals?
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Its difficult to understand what the difference between Maya and PoseRay, since I can't use PoseRay, and no one can explain what PoseRay does or how it does it.

I think I have to do this (from my link):
Quoteselect your model then goto Normals > soften edge. next step is to add the normal maps to your model and pretty soon you'll get that 'press 3' look.

I won't think Ill get to it tonight though. I got sunburned real bad and feel like crap from it... Fishing is totally worth it though!  ;D... Anything to be warm after this past winter ;)
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on July 09, 2015, 10:06:23 PM
... Anything to be warm after this past winter ;)

I hear ya big time...they seem to get worse as I get older....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Kadri

"Recalculate Normals: will force any two faces that have an angle larger than the crease angle to appear to have a sharp edge.
If the angle is less than the threshold the edge between the faces will appear to be smooth.
This is accomplished by creating or removing normals at the face edges. No vertices are created with this option.
The crease angle ranges from 0 to 180 degrees. If it is set at 0 then all the faces in the model will appear flat.
If it is set to 180 then all of the faces will appear to be smooth. Smoothing only works on faces that share edges.
If two faces seem to share an edge and smoothing does not change their appearance then most likely the edge is not shared and each face has its own edge.
To fix this you can weld vertices (PoseRay will suggest to smooth when you check on weld vertices).
As a general rule organic-type models should use 180 degrees and mechanical objects should use less than 90 degrees. There are 4 methods to calculate normals:

Normal sum calculates the normals at each vertex by direct average of the normals from the faces sharing that vertex.
    Angle-weighted sum will weight the average according to the face angle at the vertex. (This method usually gives the best results)
    Unique normal sum uses the unique normals at each vertex to calculate the average.
    Inverse area sum weights each normal at a vertex by the inverse of the area of its face."

From here:
https://ca217bf218386ade28595be56ca98f5ee45ce5d2.googledrive.com/host/0B0MYeki9vLYYLXQzcVVua0lST2s/poserayhelp.htm#Vertices_and_normals

TheBadger

Hi Man.
Well it worked. I got to it tonight after all. I am rendering it out now but I can already see the difference. So that is good. Thank you much, Kadri, and J.
I will post the image so you can see for your selves when its done... A few min from now.
It has been eaten.