screwing around with architecture

Started by TheBadger, July 04, 2015, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Just as you said, normals. I only had trouble understanding the difference between what is meant by normals between all the softwares and how to effect them IN TG and the other soft.

In my case, using Maya & TG, all I had to do was like the quote from my link (last page), the effect was auto saved to the OBJ, which TG is now translating correctly on its own. Still not sure how to manually do anything with normals, or why we can not use normal maps in TG, or what the difference between normal maps and normals like we were talking about here are... But I can live with my ignorance for the moment.

Here is the render showing the change in TG:
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Would not another test I can do, be to increase displacement like your stone, Kadri? I mean, if I make extreme displacement and the model does not explode, then that proves it works, right?
It has been eaten.

Kadri

The edges look good so far i can see.
I got so curious that i installed the demo version of Maya tonight. Which Command did it?
There are some places that made a difference but i could not find the way to make the cube explode like in the file i uploaded here Michael.
Curious of your test.

TheBadger

IN the polygon tool set, go-> NORMALS-> Soften Edge.
MAke sure the object (s) is selected (IT will be green if selected, and additional parts will be white when multi selected)

Then save out the OBJ. To save out the OBJ you have to make sure that OBJ is turned on, in the plug-in manager, if you did not know that.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It did not work: see below.

I think this problem is the edges not normals. I think that the edges are not straight up and down in the Y.
I Have already started to rebuild the section.

In this render, the bad effect happens after rendering, when bounce to the ounce kicks in. IN the previous render the problem is not there, but I stopped the render before bounce to the ounce kicked in.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Hmmm...Have you seen the last post about Poseray? Are the vertices welded (i think it is merged in Maya) at the edges for example?

TheBadger

Quote from: Kadri on July 10, 2015, 01:43:06 AM

Hmmm...Have you seen the last post about Poseray? Are the vertices welded (i think it is merged in Maya) at the edges for example?

I was just thinking that. That maybe there are some verts not merged on that corner! I will go through it in a second. Right now I turned up the displacement a good bit to see where the model explodes and does not. Its rendering. I am guessing that if that corner is a mess but the reset of the model is not, then that is the answer.  ?
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I don't know Michael.But i think we are  forgetting that converting between different programs can have different results so much you try.
There might be a solution but it might be the way the 3D object in Maya is handled and the OBJ file is exported too.

TheBadger

No, verts are fine. those edges were all created by edge loop tool, so its not even really possible that they are not merged.

I will send you that part of the model in a few moments. I still have your email. At least then you wont be guessing anymore ;D
I will send it to J as well, I told him a long time ago that I would, but that was before I got sick of the project ;D
It has been eaten.

Kadri

And of course how Terragen handles OBJ files at import too.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

Maybe you should set the displacement to a negative to have it explode less, or use an offset, so it averages the displacement. As a bypass, I mean.