Windows 10

Started by matrix2003, July 28, 2015, 11:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

It appears my final thoughts weren't so final.  Going back to do a clean install, but the Win 10 recovery program failed.  It restarted the PC (without deleting or reinstalling anything and hung on the 'select your keyboard setup' screen).  Forcing the computer off and turning back on brought me back to Win 10 pre attempted recovery.

Nothing left to do now but a BIOS initiated recovery off the drive partition back to factory settings and Win 7.  Determined to stay with Win 10, however.

bobbystahr

Watching this with interest, but am leaning away from 10 till someone raves about how much better TG3 runs under it as that's pretty much my only software I'm using except for PoseRay , Imagine 3D and Bryce once in a while.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Upon Infinity

Also, note: The ability to revert back to your old version of windows is only good for a month.  At least to do so through Win 10.  If you have a recovery partition, you can always use that, however.

Upon Infinity

OK, got me a pure, clean install.  Don't have internet access.  Screen's distorted from no drivers.  Don't even have software to play DVD's.  This is the life.  It all begins here.  :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Upon Infinity on August 18, 2015, 11:34:16 PM
Also, note: The ability to revert back to your old version of windows is only good for a month.  At least to do so through Win 10.  If you have a recovery partition, you can always use that, however.

Well at least I have a Win 7 pro disc but I'm still on the fence...don't see a good reason yo jump yet.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Upon Infinity

Yeah, normally, i'd wait, too.  But I got no creative ideas these past few weeks, so I need something to occupy me.

mhaze

Apart from having no drivers the first time I installed it Win 10 has been perfect.  I've now installed it on 3 machines and only my most modern render machine has given bother - go figure. My old laptop and an old comp I use for music worked first time out of the box.

I have found that it's fast to start, fast to run and trying to configure as it has a mixture of old and new configuration screens but with a little help from god mode and and google they are all running smoothly.

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on August 19, 2015, 04:36:40 AM
Apart from having no drivers the first time I installed it Win 10 has been perfect.  I've now installed it on 3 machines and only my most modern render machine has given bother - go figure. My old laptop and an old comp I use for music worked first time out of the box.

I have found that it's fast to start, fast to run and trying to configure as it has a mixture of old and new configuration screens but with a little help from god mode and and google they are all running smoothly.

Does it make TG any better/faster or is it just M$ trying to run/ruin our cyber lives with subscription services like adobe and autodesk....when I get software I like a cd/dvd in my grubby little paws so I can run it on an off line virus safe machine....just sayin....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Upon Infinity

Not likely to run Terragen any better.  I thought at first it made the 3d preview faster.  It may have been my imagination.  Rendering certainly won't see any improvement.  If anything, it's likely to run worse, because Win 10 is less stable.  Also, it's not a subscription service.  And you can run it on offline machines, as Win 10 allows you to create an installation USB device for such a purpose. 

archonforest

Quote from: Upon Infinity on August 19, 2015, 03:14:39 PM
Not likely to run Terragen any better.  I thought at first it made the 3d preview faster.  It may have been my imagination.  Rendering certainly won't see any improvement.  If anything, it's likely to run worse, because Win 10 is less stable.  Also, it's not a subscription service.  And you can run it on offline machines, as Win 10 allows you to create an installation USB device for such a purpose.
What kind of instability you encounter?
My IT dude wants to upgrade all to Win 10... :-[
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Upon Infinity

Well, for one thing, getting my graphics drivers to work is proving to be a bitch the second time around (they won't install) and it's frozen by doing so at least once.  Certain programs will close spontaneously on me without me closing them.  Things like that.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: mhaze on August 19, 2015, 04:36:40 AM

Have you tested them all, thoroughly?  Just curious, because getting Win 10 up and running is the easy part.  It little issues that creep up later that seem to be the problem.  For example (and for all others considering doing a clean install), today I had to manually install a Microsoft module for C++ that would allow me to run programs that ran normally when I simply upgraded from Win 7.

Dune

Some programs are probably just not compatible, I guess. Like I'm having issues installing Adobe CS3 on win 7 64bit. Just doesn't work. It may be a big 'intercompany agreement' to make you buy newer versions  >:(

mhaze

Manual C++ install was a common problem in the past and will be in the future.  A lot of old programs use earlier versions of C++  and C++ libraries and won't work without them loaded.  I've noticed no instability at all with win 10 in fact I'd say it was smoother and faster.  The only program which won't work was ivy gen 2012 thankfully the old version does.  I had to update bitdefender to a win 10 version which was painless.  There are always these problems with new operating systems usually due to old programs or hardware.  Half the fun of upgrading! I've learn't more about computers upgrading programs than anyway else!  Privacy doesn't worry me I don't use computers for nefarious purposes so I don't care very much.  It's a modern paranoia, we have always been watched catalogued and spied on, worrying about it will just make you unhappy and there's plenty you can do to hide if you wish.