Windows 10

Started by matrix2003, July 28, 2015, 11:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

There is a site where you guys can chk what software compatible with Win 7 or 10 and what not. Can be useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

fleetwood

Quote from: Upon Infinity on August 19, 2015, 12:55:53 AM
OK, got me a pure, clean install.  Don't have internet access.  Screen's distorted from no drivers.  Don't even have software to play DVD's.  This is the life.  It all begins here.  :)

Decided to go for it yesterday because I guess I wanted some excitement. As soon as the machine completed the install ( they made it look clean and pretty anyway) the machine booted for the final time and showed it now had no internet service. Since the install just got done using my ethernet connection this fact was quite annoying.

None of the Win 10 network trouble shooting functions would make the ethernet reset or connect.  I finally did a shutdown and then unplugged the power cord to the machine to get a full reboot. This allowed the ethernet connection to start and stay up long enough for me to download new Intel Win 10 drivers for my Intel ethernet card.  I'm disappointed that Microsoft didn't have a better system in place to point to the solution or get the correct ethernet driver during the initial install .

Tried Terragen and it was immediately obvious that the preview window was "sick" . The sky of the default scene would show up as blue patches and blobs on a grey background or just go all grey. This suggested that new Win 10 level Video drivers needed to be installed from Nvidia. With the new drivers the Terragen preview window now looks just fine.

That's my story after the first day. No other glitches yet ........

mhaze

Standard fare!  I agree, considering how long it takes to check for updates you'd think it would update the drivers too.

WAS

Windows 10 is working great. However there are weird "mobile" quarks that annoy me. For example, file Association is through windows settings, and interferes with applications. A couple applications that set associations during install failed to install because windows prompted to go to Windows Settings, which caused a fault in the execution of the installation.

However to point out, Windows 10 is not the last. It's the last publicized launch. All new updates will become available as they release via Windows Update. Much like Android. So long as your device is compatible, you'll be able to upgrade.

Tangled-Universe

Made the jump too and it was the reason I was offline for a day or two ;)

Initial upgrade from Win7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro went pretty flawless.

I read I had to upgrade first to then use Win10's own app for resetting your machine.
This allowed my machine hardware to be registered first so that you won't need a Win10 license key when doing a clean install.
So I made some backups (forgot TG key of course haha) and pressed the "reset" button in the app.

All went fine until after the clean install Win10 did not recognise my SSD as a boot device anymore.

In the end I fixed it by downloading the Media Creation Tool from MS and created a USB boot device with that.
Took about half an hour, but it worked very well.
Inserted the USB and followed the installation procedure.
Activation was automatic.

Now I'm on Win10 Pro, fresh install and it works fine.

TheBadger

No I am really not making a Mac Vs. PC post here. But Holly shit this all sounds like a head ache! :o
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on August 20, 2015, 07:16:01 PM
No I am really not making a Mac Vs. PC post here. But Holly shit this all sounds like a head ache! :o

Well, Mike, this is what we have to go through...in lieu of having to hold it a certain way in order for it to work. ;)

TheBadger

Quotein lieu of having to hold it a certain way in order for it to work
Yes, I noticed when I am holding my Mac Pro, it does not work as well as when its sitting on the desktop.  ???
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on August 21, 2015, 02:11:41 AM
Quotein lieu of having to hold it a certain way in order for it to work
Yes, I noticed when I am holding my Mac Pro, it does not work as well as when its sitting on the desktop.  ???

"You're holding it wrong."

mhaze

Macs don't have to cope with dozens/hundreds? of different hardware configurations!

TheBadger

Quote from: mhaze on August 21, 2015, 05:02:08 AM
Macs don't have to cope with dozens/hundreds? of different hardware configurations!

Ahh, yes, thank you. That does create some better perspective for me.
That is one thing I often am bothered by about macs, not being able to upgrade certain parts. But this thread makes me feel a little better about it :D Except the graphics card stuff! That pisses me off to no end  ;D Have to buy a PC to use all the great new graphics cards that are out and soon to be out >:(

OK, Ill leave you to your migraines now.
It has been eaten.

yossam

I think I survived the update with just minor headaches.................Windows changed my graphic drivers so the biggest resolution I had was 1024X768...........talk about large icons. It didn't want to change back to Nvidia drivers either, had to install twice before it took. Hopefully, that is all I will have to deal with. Update was scheduled for tomorrow, don't know why it pulled the trigger today.  ::)

Lady of the Lake

I am wondering how Microsoft expects ordinary people like me with hardly any computer workings knowledge to do this upgrade.  I have been reading the thread and some of you have had to do things that I wouldn't have a clue how to do.   Guess I will just stay with Win. 7 and be happy about it.   :) 

mhaze

Wait for six months and then upgrade. After July 2016 you will have to pay.