Rock study

Started by Kadri, August 23, 2015, 09:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Quote from: Terrapsychogen on April 08, 2016, 06:43:36 AM
I have yet to try out a camera projected image though...

Other ways work too. Just use what fits.

Dune

I was merely kidding about the particle system, I understood well! Nice effect all the same.

Kadri

;D <-- These can help Ulco...mostly at least  :)

Dune

Kadri

I wanted to make a new image. But got bored from it.
Then i used the scene from page 5 to get a big different rock wall structure for a different scene.
These are some of the tests. Not finished ones of course. But still liked them enough to share here.

All are from the same scene file with small changes here and there.
09 is from two of those scenes merged with displacement setting at "difference".
Tried to render it with less holes and bigger but even a small crop render wasn't half finished after one day.

If i can finish my last image it will be more closer to the last one probably(11).

Kadri

Part two of the above post.

I like 06 too. Nearly was going with it.

Kadri

If anyone is curious here is a screenshot of the node network.
It is more trying this and that so please don't read too much into it.
This is from the final scene i am working on and not seen above (closer to 11) but very similar.

Dune

Some pretty cool effects, Kadri! I like nr. 09 most I think, very unworldly, and probably not very fast to render.

Kadri

I liked it too Ulco and it would be good for a unworldly-fantastic kind of image as you said.
As i wrote above even a small crop with high planet displacement 4 (it still had holes),
render detail 1(this could be lower maybe) and force all edges was too long.
I would need one of the new AMD Rysen 16 cores probably even to render it in 2-4 days.
Maybe 1-2 years later.

But small renders doesn't turn out as you wish when you render them bigger always.
The last image looked too different then the preview or i changed something accidentally.
Still working on it.

Tangled-Universe

I wonder how it looks when you add a compute terrain node after the "ayrinti" node and disconnect the "ayrinti" node's connection to the strata & outcrops shader (the one as a child to the surface layer below).
You probably need to increase the displacement of the "ayrinti" node, since you feed the same amount of displacement into the strata and outcrops shader and add that back again to the main data chain through the surface layer.

The reason I'm wondering this is because of the stretching of the geometry and especially its textures. A compute node at a clever position can improve this stretching.

I really like the colour palette of the 'karst'.

Kadri

I had 2-3 more compute nodes before but as you know the scene gets too long to render so i tried get rid of them so much i can.

With a compute node in that place the kind of blobby look gets more pronounced Martin (with the same parameters at least).
Look at the second file you see below. The camera is a little further back but you can see the difference.

I don't mind stretching in Y but displacement is still too chaotic (that's what you mind too probably).
Still working on it. Appreciate all suggestions.
What i kinda want is a more or less straight high wall with some strata patches like there are parts that are fallen down, if that makes sense.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 29, 2017, 02:12:04 AM
Some pretty cool effects, Kadri! I like nr. 09 most I think, very unworldly, and probably not very fast to render.

big agree from me on this No. 09...almost geiger-esque
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

fleetwood

9,10,11 getting really interesting - keep going. :)

zaxxon

Some really fine results Kadri! Thanks for sharing the set-ups. 10 and 11 are the ones that truly grabbed my attention. TG's displacement tools used with skill and understanding are capable of almost photogrametric quality. I'm amazed.

bobbystahr

Quote from: zaxxon on July 29, 2017, 09:48:57 AM
Some really fine results Kadri! Thanks for sharing the set-ups. 10 and 11 are the ones that truly grabbed my attention. TG's displacement tools used with skill and understanding are capable of almost photogrametric quality. I'm amazed.

Indeed they are Doug...sitting here mind blown yet again...twixt Kadri and Rene I'm totally intimidated TG wise
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist