bobbystahr

Q1 or 2  2016 will tell
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

astrofalcon

All I want to know is will the new atmosphere system now have real Subsurface Scattering in the clouds?

Thanks! Can't wait!

- Shawn

Matt

Quote from: astrofalcon on December 16, 2015, 05:23:33 PM
All I want to know is will the new atmosphere system now have real Subsurface Scattering in the clouds?

Yes :) I'll go into more detail in a future blog post on terragen4.com

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on December 16, 2015, 09:03:16 PM
Quote from: astrofalcon on December 16, 2015, 05:23:33 PM

Yes :) I'll go into more detail in a future blog post on terragen4.com

Matt

This is really excited. I am curious, will you all lovely gentlemen (and ladies?) be continuing the Freeware Versions for Terragen 4?

Kadri

That sounds great Matt.

The most i want to know is how much speed improvement we can expect in the previewer and renderer.
Frankly i don't expect much but i really hope i am wrong about this.

AP

Sense the new clouds have Sub surface scattering which i suspected as much then i will "cautiously" say we may have such a feature for other areas such as terrain and vegetation.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Kadri on December 16, 2015, 11:08:06 PM

That sounds great Matt.

The most i want to know is how much speed improvement we can expect in the previewer and renderer.

I think that is not unfair to say to be honest.

For a hobbyist TG3 was disappointing and felt more like a 2.5 release.
TG4 is perhaps what TG3 should have been and will be the leap/improvement we hoped for when we migrated from TG2 to TG3.
But let's try to not keep looking back and get stuck in this old debate about version numbers.

Because the thing and fact for me is: TG4 will be worth updating, most definitely.

Antoine

QuoteUnless my eyes are deceiving me, there is something rather interesting about how the leaves look in the alpha renders.

I wonder if there is not an improved Global Illumination, which I really hope for the future version.

David.

AP

Quite possible improvements there also. We shall see. Per my observations, it does look improved in the lighting and atmospherics aspects as well.

Kadri

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 17, 2015, 03:39:56 AM
Quote from: Kadri on December 16, 2015, 11:08:06 PM
That sounds great Matt.

I think that is not unfair to say to be honest.

For a hobbyist TG3 was disappointing and felt more like a 2.5 release.
TG4 is perhaps what TG3 should have been and will be the leap/improvement we hoped for when we migrated from TG2 to TG3.
But let's try to not keep looking back and get stuck in this old debate about version numbers.

Because the thing and fact for me is: TG4 will be worth updating, most definitely.

Thanks Martin. At least it looks like from your post that there are nice other things to see.

Oshyan

We will still have a free version, yes.

"Subsurface" scattering in clouds (volumetrics) is not the same as hard surface subsurface scattering (e.g. skin, snow, etc.).

- Oshyan

mdharrington

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: mdharrington on December 17, 2015, 03:36:52 PM
very different from 'sub-surface scattering'

here is an interesting 'real time' algorithm...
http://www-ljk.imag.fr/Publications/Basilic/com.lmc.publi.PUBLI_Inproceedings@117681e94b6_1e9c7f4/clouds.pdf

Yes this paper is known to Planetside. (I passed it on a few years ago)

As far as I know this solution isn't (suitable for) procedural(s) and requires depth maps to be made for the imported model.
It can probably be modified to use procedurals, but then the game starts to change completely and the first thing which will disappear is the "real time" aspect of it.

TheBadger

QuoteBecause the thing and fact for me is: TG4 will be worth updating, most definitely.

The thing for me is, I know T-U is very openly and honestly critical about the things that are not good. So when T-U says the quote above, and Oshyan says it will make you cry in the other thread, I gotta say I am getting pretty optimistic and excited.

Part of me wants to also ask about my wants for the upgrade-if they were implemented. But I kinda want to be surprised, and incase they are not there yet, I don't want to cry yet. I now look forward to crying one of two ways  ;D :-\
It has been eaten.

AP

Quote from: Oshyan on December 17, 2015, 03:29:11 PM
We will still have a free version, yes.

"Subsurface" scattering in clouds (volumetrics) is not the same as hard surface subsurface scattering (e.g. skin, snow, etc.).

- Oshyan

That is true and i should have known that. It works differently in a volume density vs a solid density.