sluggish after working for some hours

Started by Dune, November 05, 2016, 11:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

Sorry, thought I had put that in there, 64GB.  ;)

Oshyan

Woah, so nearly 19GB. Well, part of that may be due to the recent update changes to the subdiv cache size, and part is almost certainly due to Easy Cloud and the cloud v3 scattering model it uses, as well as part coming from Embree. Basically, TG4 uses more memory than TG3, to do things better and faster. :D But we're looking at how optimize.

Our greater concern for this thread is this feeling of "sluggishness", and determining where it may be coming from. In the case of this most recent render I'm still unclear whether you are simply reporting memory use (helpful but not quite on the original topic of the thread), or if you are also experiencing sluggishness and reporting memory as a possible link. If you do see sluggishness now, it would not seem due to memory use since you have so much free...

- Oshyan

yossam

Like I said, I'm not using RTP. But if I change the seed on my "easy" cloud, it takes almost 20 seconds before the preview updates. And while it is waiting to update you basically can't do anything else, no mouse clicks, no nothing.

Oshyan

OK, that's good info, thank you. Can I ask what your cloud Quality setting is? And number of Voxels?

- Oshyan

zaxxon

Hey Matt, using TG 40010 with V2 clouds the 'sluggish' behavior was very noticeable so I did check the memory usage and was surprised that it wasn't  ramping up, and still had a fair margin of available RAM. I didn't take notes, but I still have the scene in progress and will track the numbers.  As my scenes are pretty loaded with high poly models I had assumed that perhaps I had hit the 'ceiling' with my current way of building TG environments. In particular: the viewport even with many objects and pops 'hidden' became progressively slower, the crop renders not only took longer, but additionally the app after render became slower to finish and release the image for saving. I was going to try the scene in the 3.4 vers to see if it was my scene construction or a change in the program, as well as the new vers. 4004. I'll still do that as it appears that others have something similar happening. The V3 clouds are another conversation. I did have a go at some V3 clouds in the current scene and the render time hit is pretty severe (even for me :-[). The RTP seemed to do pretty well, and I didn't really notice any  progressive slow-down.

yossam

Quality: 1.00053
Voxels: 49.85 million

It is the file Luc uploaded in this thread:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22370.0.html

zaxxon

Yossam, I believe the Luc Bianco file has 500 million voxels (499.85). That's a pretty robust setting.

yossam

I stand corrected...............old, tired, need new glasses eyeballs. Sorry............ :P

Oshyan

Mm, yeah, 500m voxels is going to be taxing, especially on memory use. Lots of nice detail though. :D

Zaxxon, very interesting that you're seeing this even with v2 clouds and that memory use does not seem to be an issue at first glance. Please do check it in 3.4 as that would definitely be an important comparison. In addition, are your v2 cloud layers localized and using voxel acceleration? Were you using RTP prior to or during the experience of sluggishness?

- Oshyan

Dune

Ah, this is going to be interesting... I will keep your questions in mind, Matt, and check things out while working. I didn't have much memory load by objects, just a few small pops, did have a V3 cloud in there, and used RTP ocassionally (not all the time). Perhaps hitting RTP on and off also adds to memory, if it keeps every state without auto-flush?

AP

Just for the sake of it, I tried 500 million voxels and Terragen crashed. After that I put it back to 50 million voxels. It was worth trying at least.

Oshyan

AP, how much memory do you have? Did you watch memory use while attempting this?

- Oshyan

AP

Quote from: Oshyan on November 07, 2016, 01:22:44 PM
AP, how much memory do you have? Did you watch memory use while attempting this?

- Oshyan

Only 4 gigabytes, however I can try it again and look at the memory reading.

AP

The memory is at 1.5 gigabytes before opening Terragen and when Terragen is running it jumps to 3.63 gigabytes. That would probably explain the crash.

Oshyan

Yeah, 4GB is the minimum for good reason. I'm afraid you don't have a lot to work with when it comes to using Terragen 4.

- Oshyan