sluggish after working for some hours

Started by Dune, November 05, 2016, 11:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Perhaps in some cases, yes. I just adapt to what I know I can do and what my computer is capable of.

bobbystahr

Quote from: AP on November 07, 2016, 10:08:26 PM
Perhaps in some cases, yes. I just adapt to what I know I can do and what my computer is capable of.

And some fairly impressive output if I do say. Probably a faster machine than this old dell though.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

I have a Intel Core i5 1.7 GHz. I am wanting to upgrade some day, all in due time.

bobbystahr

Quote from: AP on November 07, 2016, 10:50:59 PM
I have a Intel Core i5 1.7 GHz. I am wanting to upgrade some day, all in due time.

this dell is a duo core at 3.0Ghz but task master never reports it reaching that speed.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Working hours on one file without using RTP or V3 clouds shows no sluggishness, so it's either. I'll see if I can work with one of those used and see what happens.....

zaxxon

Here are two separate renders, that using the same settings have a pretty large render time difference. The top one was an area crop render and took 7 hours 18 minutes, the bottom one was cut out of the completely rendered image which took 5 hours 7 minutes in total. 900X1600, detail 1, AA 8. The top image was rendered after a number of scene changes and RTP viewings, the bottom was rendered after a reboot and reload. Additionally the top image has only two populations and no hero objects, whereas the bottom image is fully populated with numerous hero objects. So that's a obviously significant variance. The base scene takes 24 gigs to load; with the top image at render end reporting 63.1 gigs used (out of 64 gigs installed), and the bottom image topped out at 58.4 gigs used. For now my process is to reboot and reload every so often, but especially to render out full res images. I still have to retest the V2 performance, but despite the pain I opted for the V3 clouds (they're just prettier!).

Oshyan

Interesting results Zaxxon (and gorgeous clouds!). I would suspect that with that much memory used for the top crop, it may well have been using your disk-based swap space for additional memory, which would slow down rendering dramatically. It could be due to the RTP not releasing memory after the previous use, though that's pure speculation on my part. But given the clear difference in reported memory use you show there, it does seem as if there's some kind of memory-related issue going on.

Thanks for those details. Hope to see the full and final image soon, it looks very promising!

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: zaxxon on November 08, 2016, 04:45:45 PM
I still have to retest the V2 performance, but despite the pain I opted for the V3 clouds (they're just prettier!).

I have to agree, and I just flashed how you keep the same shapes...they both use the same Density shader, D'oh....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Wonderful sky, Doug! Looking forward to a big one too.
It indeed looks like TG doesn't flush memory before rendering, or something in that sense. The second one should have taken longer with all the veggies.

AP

Quote from: zaxxon on November 08, 2016, 04:45:45 PM
Here are two separate renders, that using the same settings have a pretty large render time difference. The top one was an area crop render and took 7 hours 18 minutes, the bottom one was cut out of the completely rendered image which took 5 hours 7 minutes in total. 900X1600, detail 1, AA 8. The top image was rendered after a number of scene changes and RTP viewings, the bottom was rendered after a reboot and reload. Additionally the top image has only two populations and no hero objects, whereas the bottom image is fully populated with numerous hero objects. So that's a obviously significant variance. The base scene takes 24 gigs to load; with the top image at render end reporting 63.1 gigs used (out of 64 gigs installed), and the bottom image topped out at 58.4 gigs used. For now my process is to reboot and reload every so often, but especially to render out full res images. I still have to retest the V2 performance, but despite the pain I opted for the V3 clouds (they're just prettier!).

Are the clouds default settings Easy clouds or Cloud layer v3 clouds?

zaxxon

AP: the clouds are 'Easy Clouds' and no, these are not the default settings. When I post the final image I'll put the settings up in the forum.
Dune: Exactly. I'm certainly not a programmer, so I'll not hazard a quess here. And as Oshyan pointed out when the ram is near the limit performance will suffer.  Looks like it's time to add more ram at any rate.

Shigawire

Is this being investigated as a possible memory leak?

Oshyan

It is being investigated as a potential bug. A memory leak is just one possible element.

- Oshyan

mhaze

Just seen this, I too have experienced this sluggishness.  When it happens I simply save and reboot TG.

zaxxon

A couple of new observations after some more work on the scene referenced above. My latest test render of the entire image took 4 hours 56 minutes, and ended with 46.6 gigs in use. This was rendered without a reboot/reload. The scene had numerous object tweaks and small to medium crop renders and spans about 6 saved revisions, all this with the Easy Cloud voxel count reduced to 10 million (500 million setting used in final render), and RTP not being used (as I had already finalized the cloud shapes and placement). The key factor seems to be the RTP use. As I recall, while using the V2 clouds in prior iterations of this scene, I did use the RTP to preview those clouds. Indeed, the RTP is an amazing pre-viz for clouds and atmosphere. Also, in the current work, I didn't notice any progressively 'sluggish' viewport performance.