sluggish after working for some hours

Started by Dune, November 05, 2016, 11:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I notice that TG is getting very sluggish after a few hours of working on one file, and doing testrenders. Refreshing of everything takes longer, also loading a new file. But also explorer gets sluggish (with TG still open). Could it be that TG 'retains memory' or so?
Usually a reboot helps to speed everything up again, but would there be a faster way?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 05, 2016, 11:37:50 AM
I notice that TG is getting very sluggish after a few hours of working on one file, and doing testrenders. Refreshing of everything takes longer, also loading a new file. But also explorer gets sluggish (with TG still open). Could it be that TG 'retains memory' or so?
Usually a reboot helps to speed everything up again, but would there be a faster way?

Been finding that doing torture tests on my new one as well. It had been happening on the old dell but I wrote it off to the computer not the program...Restarting the computer helped more than restarting TG4
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Yes, though I just restarted TG and it was fast again.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 05, 2016, 11:53:00 AM
Yes, though I just restarted TG and it was fast again.

That suffices on the Corsair but the dell needs a complete restart. Must be the age...and as an aside the dell has win 10 but the corsair only win 7
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

zaxxon

I've have experienced this behavior as well. On a fairly complex scene over several iterations the length of similar test renders grew substantially longer. Also, the viewport became increasingly sluggish. After a reboot the program was noticeably quicker. My current practice involves a reboot about every half dozen iterations. Unfortunately between reloading the scene and subsequent population updates this has become a rather lengthy work-around.  :(

Dune

Good to hear I'm not the only one  :) Perhaps a 'flush memory' button would be good (if that could work)...

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 06, 2016, 02:45:17 AM
Good to hear I'm not the only one  :) Perhaps a 'flush memory' button would be good (if that could work)...

Hmmm, maybe that has impacted the way my new box runs...I'll get it back Tuesday and find out then if there's any difference.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

yossam

Thought it was just me having issues................been trying to figure out what was wrong with my pooter. A reboot rather than a restart is the only thing that helps mine. The longer I'm in TG the slower it gets.  ???

luvsmuzik

I guess in my non-techie jargon this is what I was trying to ask about the other day Ulco. I had noticed a slow down and saw 'population cache' somewhere.
I know  a web browser used to load up and store items that you had to clean stuff out of now and then.....
I wondered if TG handled objects the same way or each new render it just keeps adding more and more to TG internal memory, if there is such a thing.

I don't need a detailed answer, I know someone will figure this out. :)

Quote from: Dune on November 06, 2016, 02:45:17 AM

archonforest

Did u guys tried the Purge Undo under the project menu? Might help.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Matt

Does Windows Task Manager show high memory usage in these situations?

Are you all using the new clouds (Easy Cloud or Cloud Layer V3), or do you notice this slowdown even when you have not been using them?

Are you all using the RTP, or do you notice the slowdown even if you haven't been using RTP?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

with my ancient video card I rarely use RTP but it happens in any piece I work on for any length of time. both on this computer which I reinstalled TG4 and the new one that's gone back to the shop for tweaking. I'll keep Task Manager open next session and look at that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Just so you know Bobby, the RTP actually taxes the graphics card *less* than the regular preview. ;) It does, however, use more memory, so if memory is also an issue on your old machine, it would be best minimized too.

- Oshyan

yossam

On the render I'm doing right now............not using RTP. Just using 8 cores. Memory usage is at 29% with a very simple scene................no populations, two objects (6 MB, 161 MB), one "easy" cloud layer. If you need any more info let me know.

Oshyan

What is your total amount of memory, so we know what "29%" actually means? Also, is it behaving "sluggish" right now, as described earlier in this thread?

- Oshyan