Tree stuff

Started by luvsmuzik, December 01, 2016, 09:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Another Blender tree with v3Powerfractal for bark color. I am trying to get this PF to displace also. Is that possible?

Gras7 TGO population
Crabgrass1 TGO population AP? Thanks!

Fiddling with strata and shaders

Ran it through Poseray and put a bump on it.

luvsmuzik

Here is a clip render of tree with image and PF (black&white) function applied. So yes you can!

N-drju

What a nice idea!

Your solutions... make my trees great again... ;D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Looks more like a bump map actually. The only way to get imported geometry to displace is with this:
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

That is two different PFs one for color and one for displacement(B&W) through a transform input world position and set at neg4. Then a speckled B&W as displacement image, dunno, it worked.

Oshyan

I think what Bobby is saying is that in Terragen you have Ray Trace Objects enabled by default, and as long as that is enabled and you do not override it on a per-object basis, then you will not get displacement. Instead, displacements are rendered as bump maps, which only affect shading and do not deform surface geometry. So you *will* see an effect, but it will not change the silhouette (and actual shape) of the object. It just simulates the appearance of bumps.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on December 02, 2016, 05:35:03 PM
I think what Bobby is saying is that in Terragen you have Ray Trace Objects enabled by default, and as long as that is enabled and you do not override it on a per-object basis, then you will not get displacement. Instead, displacements are rendered as bump maps, which only affect shading and do not deform surface geometry. So you *will* see an effect, but it will not change the silhouette (and actual shape) of the object. It just simulates the appearance of bumps.

- Oshyan

Thanks man, I'm a bit short on explanations but that nails what was happening inside my head when I wrote that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 02, 2016, 07:27:57 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on December 02, 2016, 05:35:03 PM

- Oshyan

Thanks man, I'm a bit short on explanations but that nails what was happening inside my head when I wrote that.

Thank you both for those replies. I knew I had had success with objects that were already displaced and used. Here I was trying to give the PF a not so smooth look. It is okay that I just *see a variation* rather than just a smear of two colors. Thanks for the heads up on all of that. I can make a displaced tree trunk but I do not know what is a reasonable size object  for a beautiful tree, or anything else. I shall study free share file sizes to compare. I have probably enough free shares for a couple of forests and at least one jungle, but it is fun to try to make something for me. ;D

luvsmuzik

This is an example of a displaced tree trunk (out of program) using a vertex group for just the lower trunk. An image texture is applied to entire tree. I think it resembles a realistic tree trunk. So I do understand what you are saying about displacing geometry. In Terragen, only objects listed in "displaceable objects", other than terrain, will displace or no?

fleetwood

Nice tree experiments.

" In Terragen, only objects listed in "displaceable objects", other than terrain, will displace or no?"

It used to be that way but now for imported objects like your trees, we have the "Render Method" check box available to choose "force displacement" (geometry gets changed) or "Force RayTrace"  (simulated- meaning the displacement specified in you PFs is interpreted only as a shading pattern on the object surface)

Agura Nata

Very interesting as there is always been to learn for me!  :D
"Live and Learn!"

Agura Nata

or complex objects, I find it better to use a bump map without shifting the volume because it would otherwise be confusing  ;)

Picture 2:
The hovering sphere is volume shifting the other bump, everything has front and cons
"Live and Learn!"

luvsmuzik

Picture 2:
The hovering sphere is volume shifting the other bump, everything has front and cons

Ha! Walk like an Egyptian comes to mind.....Those are terrific examples!

Agura Nata

Quote from: luvsmuzik on December 04, 2016, 08:47:38 AM
Picture 2:

Ha! Walk like an Egyptian comes to mind.....Those are terrific examples!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk

Yes  ;) ;) ;)
"Live and Learn!"

luvsmuzik

Like Robinhood, I am still in the trees.

Saw a recent back-lit image and was reminded of my attempt with willows.I have about 15 renders, but will show three. I call this After the Rain.

Then we had snow showers yesterday, so of course.....I had to do some pines. Free conifer object and a pitiful pine tipped in snow.