Materials

Started by Hannes, January 11, 2017, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Oshyan on March 24, 2018, 03:30:05 PM
Probably not much reason to use a full Glass Shader here, the transparency won't be seen even in close-ups (and is not entirely appropriate for mica anyway), and all you need is reflectivity. That can be had in the Default Shader or a Reflective Shader, without the render time cost of the Glass Shader. But good ideas and tinkering, looking forward to seeing what you came up with!

- Oshyan
Oh okay. I get it about the glass shader. I will rework and test this some more. Even without polished reflection, this combo of shaders WASasquatch has shared in the granite file is a great mix.

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 24, 2018, 07:06:29 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on March 24, 2018, 03:30:05 PM
Probably not much reason to use a full Glass Shader here, the transparency won't be seen even in close-ups (and is not entirely appropriate for mica anyway), and all you need is reflectivity. That can be had in the Default Shader or a Reflective Shader, without the render time cost of the Glass Shader. But good ideas and tinkering, looking forward to seeing what you came up with!

- Oshyan
Oh okay. I get it about the glass shader. I will rework and test this some more. Even without polished reflection, this combo of shaders WASasquatch has shared in the granite file is a great mix.

Awesome colour variation and scale work, it looks like a type of grainy quartz marble.

I would love to see Dune take a crack at the Mica reflections. He's done great work with ice crystals for snow.

WAS

Travertino Rojo Polished Marble (Rough & Veined)

Travertino Rojo is a prized marble rich in reds and oranges used around the world in expensive architecture.

I used many images for reference to create "generic" type as best I could.

Object Scale: 1 Meter

luvsmuzik

Thank you very much for the Rojo Marble! These are fantastic!

Hannes

Wow, great! Thanks.

archonforest

Indeed! Great material. Thx a lot.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Thanks everyone! Here was yesterday's (still today for me) material.

Opalized Stone or something like that.

Scale: 1m, and speaking of scale, does upscaling a small texture to large scales effect quality?

luvsmuzik

Quote from: WASasquatch on March 24, 2018, 09:05:24 PM
Travertino Rojo Polished Marble (Rough & Veined)

Travertino Rojo is a prized marble rich in reds and oranges used around the world in expensive architecture.

I used many images for reference to create "generic" type as best I could.

Object Scale: 1 Meter

Scale effect quality: I do not think so. Applied this to a cube, feeding into surface shader with a transform input (world space, final position) with all xyz scale at 100. The cube is displaced again with a PF before the object surface shader node as well.

I will just say one big THANKS! and download anything you share. okay? :)

luvsmuzik

I have tried to make an appropriate clip file..a note is included explaining each node. Most of you can do this already, but someone may find it useful.

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 29, 2018, 07:57:49 PM
I have tried to make an appropriate clip file..a note is included explaining each node. Most of you can do this already, but someone may find it useful.

Awesome addition to the materials library! Love the look of the blue.

masonspappy

Beautiful!.  I was trying to do exactly this when creating the planters for this image ( https://masonspappy.deviantart.com/art/Watching-Waiting-626143557  ) and never could get it looking like I wanted, so resorted to image mapping. Thanks!

luvsmuzik

Quote from: masonspappy on March 30, 2018, 10:41:34 AM

Beautiful!.  I was trying to do exactly this when creating the planters for this image ( https://masonspappy.deviantart.com/art/Watching-Waiting-626143557  ) and never could get it looking like I wanted, so resorted to image mapping. Thanks!
Thank you masonspappy!
Yes, that is a wonderful image! The texture shown is on a pretty big cube, but you can scale it with the transform (even into decimals if necessary). I always open the preview there (on the last merge or transform) to judge. If it looks too white, just change a color... :)

luvsmuzik

Fantasy granite light applied to simple building

Slight changes to WASasquatch's granite setup. Thanks again for those!

Inside these complex clips you often find merge nodes. I mess with those, vary the amount of mix, the type of mix: all, raise highest, cut away lowest. Then in the merge mode select a function in color for some interesting results. Most of you use a paint program and should be familiar with this.  :)

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 31, 2018, 05:30:52 PM
Fantasy granite light applied to simple building

Slight changes to WASasquatch's granite setup. Thanks again for those!

Inside these complex clips you often find merge nodes. I mess with those, vary the amount of mix, the type of mix: all, raise highest, cut away lowest. Then in the merge mode select a function in color for some interesting results. Most of you use a paint program and should be familiar with this.  :)

This reminds me of some of the rusty granite I've found up in the mountains here in WA. Well done. :)

WAS

Fluffy Moss Shader v1

Working on another version but my ideas have hit some road blocks. Simple surface shader with complex internal node network. I spend a lot of time on small details and mixing, sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't.

In this case I find the moss looks pretty good. Even close. And that's at a MPD 0.6 and AA 6 limitation, though I did bump GI cache and detail to 4, and Occlusion Weight (I believe it was) to 2 (feel it helps with fine detail being sharp)