Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

wow Dune. you got eagle eyes for sure to spot this. :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on February 14, 2019, 03:02:58 AM
wow Dune. you got eagle eyes for sure to spot this. :D

actually Dune just groks proportion...I noticed that as well...looked a bit off and would have done a comparison except was beat to it. should be a dawdle to move those joints down a bit from the wire view.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Thanks, Ulco. Glad you mentioned this. I'd hoped to make any necessary updates by now but have been pulled away on a deadline project. I'll look into it and post an updated rendering soon. Fortunately the UVs haven't been mapped yet, so this is a good time to make fixes.

sboerner

Well, I started fixing the lower legs and one thing led to another . . . tweaks to hooves, front leg joints, chest, neck and head. I'm seeing one or two details that might need further adjustments but I'm otherwise ready to call this done. I made a turntable video and wonder if I could post it here. (.mov file, about 1 MB. Rather not link to an external source for something this trivial.) In the meantime here are four frames that show it from various angles. No mane or tail – those will be redone. Then on to the harness and shading.

Dune

Wonderful. I think it's perfect now. Great job. Btw. you can post a few movietypes: mp4, mov, avi, flv.

mhaze

sboerner

Thanks! It's pretty close. He's a little thin for a draft horse, but maybe he can be bulked up a bit. I know I'll see other things during rigging and shading. Next one will be better.

sboerner

Horse No. 1, posed and harnessed and ready to go. Working on his partner now.

mhaze

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on March 03, 2019, 01:09:50 PM
Horse No. 1, posed and harnessed and ready to go. Working on his partner now.

well from a mainly inorganic modeler's PoV...WOW....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Thanks! The coat needs to be a little more reflective . . . I added a fine-grain displacement to simulate the hair and that seems to be interfering with the specularity. Have to experiment with that balance. (The models will be in the middle distance in the scene, so maybe no displacement is needed.)

DocCharly65

So great work!
Good luck with the reflections.

Dune

Very fine modeling indeed. Great work. Good enough to sell on its own. For mid distance I wouldn't bother with bump. It's luckily not a wild or Shetland horse with a rough hairy coat. Some PF across its coat may be nice to give some variation (in both texture and shine). And some dirt on the feet and hooves...

sboerner

Wagon and horse assembly, with a load of fresh apples. Only lacking a driver now.

QuoteSome PF across its coat may be nice to give some variation (in both texture and shine). And some dirt on the feet and hooves...

Once it's placed in the scene I'll experiment with this. Maybe a surface layer or distribution shader to add dirt to lower legs and wagon wheels. Good suggestions, thanks.

QuoteSo great work!
Good luck with the reflections.

Thank you! I think the reflections looks pretty good now and balance the surface texture. Another thing to fine-tune once it's in place with the real lighting and environment.

Funny how these individual models take on lives of their own. This will be small detail in the overall scene. But this one's an investment in future scenes, because I know I'll be using it again. (Plus it's fun.)

Edited to add the photo.  :P

archonforest

Looks fantastic! Awesome model.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd