Constable's Haywain ~ WIP

Started by cyphyr, October 08, 2007, 03:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Well since I seem to be stumped on my city idea I'm going to go for the other idea of attempting to reproduce the classic English master piece, Constable's Haywain. I'll be posting in this thread in the hope of picking up hints and tips as I progress from the start rather than get everyones all the advice at the end, and have to do everything again. Firstly I will attempt to map out the painting so I have an idea where everything goes and then I'll make the models, the cart (Harvey, may I borrow the cart you kindly offered as a reference model :) ), the horse (is there one or two?), the farmer, the house and the dog. I'm not going to try to reproduce the image exactly but rather try to get something that has the same elements and conveys the same feeling.

Wish me luck.

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dhavalmistry

oh I wish you good luck (x1000000000)...cuz u are gonna need it....:D
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: cyphyr on October 08, 2007, 03:35:54 PM
(Harvey, may I borrow the cart you kindly offered as a reference model :) )

Check your email.

;D

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

cyphyr

Well I've started on the cottage, nothing great as yet and a lot of detailing work to go. I'll use this as a base mesh and build up a more interesting version on top of this. I know some of the roof tiles are the wrong scale as are some of the bricks but , hey early days :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

sjefen

Looks nice. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
What modeling software do you use?
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Harvey Birdman

My apologies if this is painfully obvious, but just in case...

The wagon and carts have just a little too shiny and newly varnished look to them, know what I mean? This is what I did to muss them up a bit:

Right click on the object in the node view and select 'Internal Network'. Rigth-click and create a new Surface Layer in the internal network. Disconnect the main cart shader from the 'Surface Shader' connection and connect it to the 'Input' connection of the new surface layer. Connect the output of the new surface layer to the 'Surface Shader' input. Now set a low coverage value in the new layer and give it a dust color (or whatever). It'll blend the dust with all the cart components, giving it a nice dirty look.

(I experimented with 'Interset Underlying Layer' settings with the new surface layer, thinking I might be able to have the 'dust' collect in crannies, but no luck. At least I couldn't get it to work. I suspect the same trouble as with BigBen's grass shader network - the internal network doesn't have access to terrain/surface information.)

Will

I could paint it a texture in ZBrush if you need it.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Will, how easy is this to learn?

Quote from: Will on October 09, 2007, 05:50:22 AM
I could paint it a texture in ZBrush if you need it.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

Ok I got up this morning, made the coffee and looked at last nights work and thought I just cant let that stand, yuck ! After a little research I found that the cottage is still standing and theres a few photo's of it making modeling it much easier. Here's a higher resolution version, still a bit squared off but I think it will do for the time being. I use Lightwave for modeling, have done since version 5, but I'm hopeless at organic modeling so I'll be off to Poser for the farmers, horses and other farmyard fauna. Distant trees will be from the usual suspects, xfrog freebies, turbosquid and our own ever expanding resources. In the original painting theres only 3 "hero" trees and these will be modeled directly in Lightwave.

Thanks for the offer Will but I'll decline, I really want to push myself on this one, do as much as possible my self. Harvy I will be using your model but you may not recognise it by the time I'm finished with it lol :D

Richard

ps. Ivy from the wonderful Ivy Generator, google it, its great! :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Oshyan

Looking really nice so far. Yes it's a "perfect" house at this point but there's plenty of time to rough it up a bit. ;)

- Oshyan

nvseal

Looking good so far. I'll be keeping an eye on this one

dhavalmistry

this is looking nice...what program are you using to model these???....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

sonshine777

Looking good this could be a fun or frustrating project for you (I hope its fun)

Just thought I would give you my count of horses, there appears to be three, two side by side and one in the lead. Keep up the great work. :)

Harvey Birdman

I think that cottage looks pretty good! It has a nice little wiggle to the roofline and everything.

;D