Terragen 4 Benchmark released!

Started by Oshyan, April 21, 2019, 06:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

The much-anticipated Terragen 4 benchmark is here! Big thanks to Ulco Glimmerveen for creating the original scene and allowing us to use it as the basis for this benchmark. As with the Terragen 3 benchmark, this new version has been designed to test Terragen 4-specific features like the new v3 Cloud Shading (multiple scattering), Robust Adaptive Sampling, Lens Effects, and more. For the first time we are also including several bundled objects, among them two that were kindly provided by IDV Software, makers of Speedtree. You may use these objects only in non-commercial projects. As a result the benchmark download is much larger, but still a reasonable ~14MB in .zip format.

[attachimg=1]

Please note that due to the user of newer features like robust adaptive sampling, you will need Terragen 4.3 or newer to run the benchmark. Those of you whose maintenance is expired and who do not have access to 4.3 can still use the free version to run the benchmark. Just be sure to copy your older version install folder to a new location before installing 4.3 (or maintain the install file for later reinstallation).

Head on over to our Terragen 4 Benchmark page to download the scene and submit your render time, then check out the full list of results:
https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-4-benchmark/

We've also added a new results page that will allow for easier viewing and sorting than before (the full spreadsheet view is also still available):
https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-4-benchmark-results/

We can't wait to see results from some of the newer powerhouse CPUs from AMD and Intel!

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Excellent (and very Dune ;) )
I have been looking forward to testing this out :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

archonforest

Do we need to turn off the logical cores for the test?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

Sorry, I had to send the benchmark form twice, since I accidentally checked "overclocked" in the first form. It's not, so please delete the one with overclocked checked.

jaf

If I remember right (I don't "remember right" as often these days), we couldn't make more than one submission in the old benchmark database (for the same system.)  Is this still true?  I would think it beneficial to do that during the v4 time frame when new builds are released.  [edit]  It could show where a type of cpu/memory made a difference, positive or negative or just comparing different (TG) builds.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Oshyan

Quote from: archonforest on April 22, 2019, 05:39:24 AM
Do we need to turn off the logical cores for the test?

No need to change anything from your default configuration. If there are any issues with really high core counts, those should be shown in the benchmark and then we can see places to optimize further.

Also you can submit multiple results, so you could try with and without hyperthreading (I assume that's what you meant by "logical cores").

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Quote from: Hannes on April 22, 2019, 07:00:19 AM
Sorry, I had to send the benchmark form twice, since I accidentally checked "overclocked" in the first form. It's not, so please delete the one with overclocked checked.

No problem, taken care of. For future reference you can edit your response(s). The option is provided at the end of the result submission, and I believe if you revisit the form there should be a way as well.

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Quote from: jaf on April 22, 2019, 02:15:54 PM
If I remember right (I don't "remember right" as often these days), we couldn't make more than one submission in the old benchmark database (for the same system.)  Is this still true?  I would think it beneficial to do that during the v4 time frame when new builds are released.  [edit]  It could show where a type of cpu/memory made a difference, positive or negative or just comparing different (TG) builds.

With the old benchmark and with this one you can definitely submit multiple results. There is an option to submit a new result immediately after submission, and otherwise you can just revisit the form.

- Oshyan

SILENCER

4:46 here in build   4.4.18

And a great looking shot. Stuff to learn in there, been out of the TG loop for  bit.

archonforest

Holly cow a Threadripper kicked the butt of an i9!! WOW!

ops another i9 came to the party. 4minutes holly sh......

Oshyan

Wow, that's a surprise to me, that i9 result is crazy. I would venture to guess this benchmark ends up with just a few threads running toward the end and the i9 can really turbo boost at that point, up to its max of 4.2Ghz or perhaps even higher. That could explain why it's a bigger relative jump than you'd expect. Very interesting indeed.

- Oshyan

Matt

Should the 7980-XE say 16 cores or 18? It also says you have one CPU. Are you sure it's not dual, at that speed?

EDIT: Ah, of course it can't be dual because it's not Xeon. I'm amazed at that speed!
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

I edited it, it should be 18. This is why we have people supply the model # (and hopefully correctly). :D

- Oshyan

Dune

A new horizon is looming with those speeds, have to persuade the wife  ::)

archonforest

Quote from: Dune on April 24, 2019, 02:09:35 AM
A new horizon is looming with those speeds, have to persuade the wife  ::)

Hehe, I know what u mean...not an easy task...lol