castellum

Started by Dune, December 29, 2019, 05:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

New job at hand, so here's one of the first tests of one of the 4 entrances. PT, which makes darks really nice. Lot of work still needed to terrain (heathland with distant sea), roads, pallisades, buildings to build, and the entrances too. And then beautify with lots of Roman stuff....
Roads are kind of paved with slabs of sandstone, but I don't know yet how regular/irregular they should be.

Kadri

(This new "like" thing in the forum is nice when you really like something but don't have much to say  ;D )

Dune

Yes, handy. And if I get less than 10 likes, I'll quit :P

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 29, 2019, 05:59:12 AMPT, which makes darks really nice.
Naturally. PT isn't just for vegetation, like I'll always maintain; as per documentation and research of the render method. All about time you're willing to spend.

Quote from: Dune on December 29, 2019, 05:59:12 AMRoads are kind of paved with slabs of sandstone, but I don't know yet how regular/irregular they should be.

You'd think for a fortification, the quality of the roads probably wouldn't be that big of a concern, so long as they worked. So I imagine the stone work would be quite irregular and puzzle pieces from existing stones they are either gathering or shaling from a quarry.

Attached is roman road in Britain. Notice the stones don't look worked in the first shot. The second shot is a two-way with drainage. It doesn't really look like the stones (other than aqueduct which would have been on the left) were worked beyond just making sure they were correct height, and than puzzled in.

WAS

This image is just rather small, but is of a "roman highway" which definitely looks like more work was put into shaping the stones, and especially the remaining aqueduct.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 29, 2019, 10:20:25 AMYes, handy. And if I get less than 10 likes, I'll quit :P
ha ha ha ha yeah, tell me another one LOL
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

So . . . who are they actually worried about? Looks like the coast is clear. :D

Great start – curious to see how this one develops.

Dune

Thanks very much for posting the roads, WAS. I think it would indeed be irregular stuff, as this was also a temporary defence post, used for only 5 years, but I will ask the archaeologist who wrote his thesis about it. Instead of the voronoi I've now used a warped voronoi-manhattan pattern, which I like better. But I may have to draw a handmade tiled imagemap after all.
Hardest part was to paint the whites in PD so that outside and inside angles of the embankment were correct and it has the right width at top and bottom. I thought about sculpting in LW and then making an ortho heightmap render as plan B. Not necessary.
Yeah, coast is clear, so there are only 2 Romans  ;D  Rest has gone fishing.

Dune

Updated with some temporary barracks and stuff.

KyL

Cool project!

You could try some of this textures
This would make nice roads, mixed with some mud...

Oshyan

Oh hey, nice poses, and I know it's nowhere near a final image but I like that you put DoF in anyway. :D

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks KyL. I know the site, have got some of those already. I have to see what kind of roads they want.

DocCharly65

Nice to see a new job in your hands :)
Cool and interesting results so far!

Dune

One of the textures from that site. Forgot about the bump issue in PT though :(  (inside of temporary barrack)