Lion King Like Scenes

Started by a_petrukovich, March 01, 2020, 03:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_petrukovich

Hi, I'm new here.
I began a journey to study the Terragen by creating a series of pics similar to some scenes (4-5) from the last Lion King movie. I will try to create the environment, atmosphere, and general look and feel from this movie (without animals obviously). Here are the first two scenes with original references.

WAS

Fantastic! 

I love these recreation scenes like these based on reference, wether exact or derivative. 

And I'd say your study of Terragen is coming along nicely.

Hannes

Wow, that's amazing!!!!!
First of all: welcome to the forum!

It's always great to try to recreate reference images. The learning factor is huge. 

What a start! Looking forward to your next ones.

DocCharly65

Welcome to the forum!
And congrats to these great renders - fantastic start!

Dune

That's extraordinary, especially for a first post! Welcome to this forum, and indeed I too hope to see you here regularly. Any help with anything is readily dealt with here.

On a sidenote: I see a dark patch in the water LK3 under/left. Have you any idea how that came to be there? Is this by any chance using a GI cache file, and one of a sequence? Dorian had the same kind of patches recently (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27650.0.html) and a while ago.

sboerner

These are brilliant! Please post more as you continue your journey. (And welcome to the forum.)

a_petrukovich

Guys, thanks to all! BTW those images are not the first ones. I took my first steps from version 3 I guess, but I did not create something predictable or finished. Then I forgot about terragen, and return to it 2-3 times without any good results. But today I want to go forward and create pics that not shame to share.

Quote from: Dune on March 02, 2020, 01:50:19 AMThat's extraordinary, especially for a first post! Welcome to this forum, and indeed I too hope to see you here regularly. Any help with anything is readily dealt with here.

On a sidenote: I see a dark patch in the water LK3 under/left. Have you any idea how that came to be there? Is this by any chance using a GI cache file, and one of a sequence? Dorian had the same kind of patches recently (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27650.0.html) and a while ago.
Thanks! I don't know how I got it. I don't render any sequence and did not use cache

Dune

Interesting, so that's not the culprit. Would you be willing to share the tgd, without all assets of course, just to check out what causes that patch?

Matt

Quote from: Dune on March 03, 2020, 02:27:14 AMInteresting, so that's not the culprit.

I think it is culprit. The Standard Renderer uses the GI cache by default. Most people are rendering images with a GI cache, it's just in memory (generated in the pre-pass) rather than a GI cache file.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

mhaze

Terrific work! welcome to the forum.

Matt

These look great! Looking forward to what you show next.

Dune

@Matt: So reducing the GI cache detail or increasing the blur radius would be the solution for things like this?

Matt

Quote from: Dune on March 03, 2020, 06:05:28 AM@Matt: So reducing the GI cache detail or increasing the blur radius would be the solution for things like this?

That is one way, but the reduced detail may be undesirable. Another way is to generate a GI cache file with the water disabled, then render the final image with that GI cache file.

a_petrukovich

Quote from: Matt on March 03, 2020, 05:18:27 AM
Quote from: Dune on March 03, 2020, 02:27:14 AMInteresting, so that's not the culprit.

I think it is culprit. The Standard Renderer uses the GI cache by default. Most people are rendering images with a GI cache, it's just in memory (generated in the pre-pass) rather than a GI cache file.
Oh, thanks for the info. I'm working on the next scene now, so maybe later try that solution. I'm working on that "project" in my spare time when the family is sleeping) and therefore everything is sooo slow.

a_petrukovich

Next scene (animated gif in attach). Still WIP.