A bee's view of the family Stripe

Started by Dune, May 24, 2020, 01:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 25, 2020, 02:07:12 AMWhat do you mean by the aspect of the skin, Jo? I'm sure it can be a better by using the glass shader with subsurface scattering, but I didn't bother because of the distance.

Luvs; Steve is right, you can get a personal licence. And the group is Roman, so the guy can perfectly well get away with his tunic  Indeed, the thing to do now is find nice (Roman) fabric designs/textures, and learn to make proper patterns, or find some on the web. And experiment more with the presets of fabrics (50 or so!), which names' puzzle me mostly.

I deliberately overdid the size of the sack he's carrying, to add some subtle humor. Probably his wife's wardrobe.

Here's close-up of the guy, with his new hairdo. No subsurface scattering, though.

He is not amused with his workload...

Dune

Indeed, I've been messing with procedural skinflaws, but use only a basic reflection (which I'm also struggling with), so I might dive into better mapping/reflections. But as Jochen states, it's all so time-consuming.

N-drju

Your "homo digitalis" are really not bad, they look quite natural so I wouldn't bother. :) Perhaps a few drops of sweat running from the forehead would do the trick?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I've been testing sweat before. Difficult to get really watery drops on a skin, as it's only bump that can be accomplished. The perfect way would be another object or pop of drops. I did however mask in some more (quite subtle) 'flat' drops of sweat on yet another figure.

DocCharly65

As direct from life! Great!

Perhaps you can get sweat like I get reflecting parts in some of my objects if I can't separate them: I create a mask (opacity image) for the reflecting area and set opacity to inverted in the main object. Then I copy the same object and deselect inverting so I hae only that specific part as a single object to let it shine and reflect.

An example how I did that with a basketball, where I wanted to let the orange area be reflecting and the line not but it was one single object:

Zwischenablage-2.jpg

Zwischenablage-3.jpg

cocateho26

A wonderfully done image all around, but the guy's facial expression really brings it to life lol. If only the rest of his family was just as sassy...  ::)

Dune

Thanks. I tried merging by a dotty mask, which works kind of the same (I don't want the skin under the drops to not exist at all, so I think the opacity trick won't work here, unless perhaps only used on the drops... though I think I tried that, mmm). The problem is that I don't want skinpores' bump in my drops, and it's hard to match the bump/offset. You easily get a tiny ridge around the drop. I have experimented earlier with a surface layer (after the default) masked by dots and set to smooth (all bump out), and add tiny drop-bump and reflection there, but that gives the same difficulty. I may have another go... must be a way....

j meyer

As far as I know sweat, slime, sputum and the like are usually
done with a separate object. Although this might give that
AO outline problem again in TG.

Nicely improved skin on the fat lady btw. :) .

Dune

Yes, just thought about that this morning, so I will make a copy of the face only, and probably have it procedurally 'dropped up' for a watery bump effect. See what that does. It's a bit of work of course... if I had to do that for every figure. A simple procedural way on one object may be handier, but it's a nice experiment.
Made the lady as a couple of parts now, cape can be replaced by scarf.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on May 29, 2020, 01:26:29 AMMade the lady as a couple of parts now, cape can be replaced by scarf.

Always a good idea. For security reasons too. ;) I actually did the same a few times with my houses.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

I am sure not your answer, but I got a nice glisten effect on the frog skin with the old dew drops clip, a merge, and a lower reflective value and a mask. Is your face a separate shader or an all-in-one UV map which adds to the fun?

mhaze

Great work - these figures are terrific and the clothes much improved.

Dune

Thanks.
@luvsmuzik; that's what I did, kind of, but it's the bump that gives me trouble, not the reflection. I have to smooth out the skinbumps where the drops are, and that is pretty hard. An extra face with opacity mask and glass shader didn't work either, always got these dark drops, even with shadows of the new face off. It's not important.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

Dune

New guy. Smoke sucks, flames can be better, but it's for distance anyway.