Space Nebula

Started by Stormlord, March 28, 2021, 08:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormlord

Basically a tribut to Denis Sirenko, he had the basic idea of creating space nebulas in a new and spectacular way.
His outstanding and georgeous thread can be found here...
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23403.0.html

Based upon his idea and input, I created this space nebula scenery for my own desktop in 4K.
First I rendered a few main nebulas in original 4K resolution, followed by some smaller ones in 1K for details in the main nebulas.

Main nebulas rendered with Micropoly detail 1.0 and AA 0.8. Different overlays to add faint structures or subtract dust bands and globules rendered in 1024x1024 with 0.6 and AA 0.3.
The original .psd file (16-bit depth to receive a pefect colour result) contains many layers with all the different nebulas. Background stars are from HST and ESO photo plates (see Screenshot).
Maybe there is somebody else who would like to have it also for his own computer, so I share it here in its original resolution.

Star Forming Region SH1 4K.jpg
Final 4K Desktop

Star Forming Region SH1 4K (Clean).jpg
Clean version for other compositions

Screenshot Photoshop.jpg
Photoshop Screenshot

STORMLORD

Dune

Wow, this is so good! I especially like the 'organic' shapes in the low left. Thanks for showing, and sharing.

WAS

That's awesome! Curiously, why are you using MPD to influence cloud detail? Isn't defer better and just AA?

DocCharly65

Thats really great work!

Denis Sirenko

Thanks a lot, Dirk! It's nice to see that my business lives on :)

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: Stormlord on March 28, 2021, 08:24:17 AMFirst I rendered a few main nebulas in original 4K resolution, followed by some smaller ones in 1K for details in the main nebulas.

STORMLORD

This is exactly the process that I ended up with in order to get more detail and variety :)

Stormlord

Ups... I did it again! This is my latest nebula which is more complex.
In the scene is also the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST) Instrument from NASA.

The Mesh has been converted from LWO to MAX and rendered separately in 3DsMax 2009. It can be downloaded with more other stuff here (great link!).
https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models -> https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/wfirst

Supernova Remnant (Clean Nebula).jpg
Supernova Remnant (Clean Nebula)

Supernova Remnant WFIRST.jpg
Supernova Remnant (WFIRST)

I hope you like it!
Comments, constructive critric and opinions are welcome

STORMLORD

Dune

I love it. No criticism or ideas, whatsoever. Perfect stuff!

Stormlord

This week I have created another great Desktop. I had in mind creating something in cool and blue colours this time.
So spontaneously came the astrophotos from the star cluster Pleyades in my mind, because they have this special look.
So I did it and name this picture therefore "Star Forming Region Plejades", I really hope you like it!

Star Forming Region Pleyades (Clean).jpg
This is the clean version, main nebula with fine details

Star Forming Region Pleyades (WFIRST).jpg
Star Forming Region Pleyades

I invite everyone to create his own nebulas and space sceneries, it makes fun creating beautiful pictures like that!!!

STORMLORD

Dune

Kadri

I like the images very much.
Just the object looks out of place, to me at least. Needs probably a different lighting.

Stormlord

Thank you Kadri...
Yes, it is just a pre-rendered NASA satellite and simply put into the image without paying attention to it's lightning. It's just my standard lightning from inside 3dsMax.
I did not really pay attention to the lightning in/or from the nebula (except the blue colour fading), next time I have a closer look to the lightning also.

Screenshot WFIRS.jpg

So thank you for your very constructive comment Kadri!
(It's better than always say something like "Oh yeah, like it" as so often here in this forum. These are nonsens comments because they say nearly nothing.
Also, by giving such a flat statement, it degrades the hard work of the artist which flowed into his work trying to do his best. Better to give a negative but true
statement which is constructive, than a simple and flat comment that just say's nothing. Valuable input helps the artist to try harder and better next time!
Flat or no input at all is not really helpful for improvement. So better to stay with the truth or don't comment anything if it is not really helpful or motivating.
This is just my own opinion!)

@Dune
This was really a statement which motivates me, because your artwork is really very impressive and inspiring to me. If you just say "Awesome!", I know, you really mean it!
This motivates me to created more stuff like "Star Forming Region Pleyades", so thank you for your simple but true-hearthed comment, which I really appreciate!

@WAS
I now use defer, thx for your hint! Here I really learned something by looking into the Planetside Wiki.

STORMLORD