Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealUser

Well, we all knew that this could happen, didn't we? So, I am not so disappointed about this news. Life goes on and some time in this year it will come. There are so many other thing I could care about ... ;-)
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

Cyber-Angel

Some times things don't go as planed and to be fair to Planetside as soon as they knew there was going to be a delay then some thing was said about it, this is no where near as bad as the pre-forums days when all we had was just the Yahoo Group to rely on if I thwart other wise I would say so, and if you've been around here long enough you know what that mains!

The problem that has caused the delay must be affecting other areas of the software or has the potential to do so but further more it is good to know that Planetside care enough about both their customers and their product that they provide to have a short delay and fix the problem before shipping the product beta or no beta, some software vendors would have provided the beta as is and would have provided a patch to fix the problem (Akin to providing life saving surgery after the patient is already dead).

Quote from: Kevin F on January 04, 2008, 05:10:06 AM
This is really disappointing yet predictable news! It's also very poor PR. Planetside must realise by now that giving deadlines is a flawed policy unless you can guarantee to meet them, and you obviously don't have the resources and backing to support your predictions.
I'm also annoyed that you left it 'till the very day of release to announce the latest delay. This is so unprofessional.
No doubt some of the sycophants on this forum will not agree and say that they would rather wait for a full working version. So would I and have been for most of the last decade!

Unprofessional or not the face remains that in software as in an other industry the unexpected can and dose occur and given that Planetside has finite resources I think they do what they can with what they've got, the process of learning continues so that the same kind of mistake dose not happen again.

I think that they had to be sure that there was going to be a delay and absolutely sure that it was going to have a significant impact that the deadline for release was going to be missed and so they said what they did when they did, yes sooner would have been better but in the end they did say some thing, thats all that matters.

What in the end is it we are talking about here...Software. 

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  8)       

Boggy49

Perfection takes time.  Keep me posted.  Thanks.

trashman

"Shit happens". Good luck. It's a great product. :)

rcallicotte

That would only make sense, but someone from Planetside would need to confirm.  Everything this company has done so far has been completely fair and thorough.

Quote from: otakar on January 04, 2008, 12:58:03 AM
If the final release gets delayed, will the pre-release pricing also get extended?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Exactly.

Quote from: JimB on January 04, 2008, 07:21:51 AM
...and I'm just happy they found the rendering problem before releasing it or it would have been VERY VERY BAD.  ;)

rcallicotte

Thanks Matt for stepping up to the challenge.  Best wishes for you and the Planetside team.

stevehmeyer

How many times have I been waiting for some software release and not heard a word, sometimes for nearly a year.  Thanks Planetside your prompt announcement makes me fee I can trust you, any wayl some things are worth waiting for.

cyphyr

What a shame, I'm disappointed but I can of course understand the reasons.

I think it would be sweet if Planetside would release some images made with the new renderer, I'm sure it has been working and that what ever issue has delayed the release must have been fairly well hidden or it would have come to light earlier.

I would love to see some images with the new transparency settings enabled just for fun you know.

Oh well keep working guys, cant wait :)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

joshbakr

I'm not surprised, I mean I've only known about TG2 since 2004.  ;)

riamacgroup

I'll take quality over "rush to market" any day.  Besides, we've already used it in publication and it's great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Seth

I'll wait for it ! :)
Good luck to the Planetside staff !

peejay

also happy to wait - keep up the good work   :)
adamans rebellis quod iustus nos

Tennoki

Delay's no problem .. if it needs fixing it needs it regardless .. no point in releasing something that doesn't work and getting 250 reports of a major issue you already know about.  New system doesn't arrive until February anyway...

moodflow

Sorry you guys couldn't get it out on time.  I've having a blast with your current version - a new version was just icing on the cake!   ;D

Either way, keep up the great work Planetside!  
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music