Cut out the discussion of warez and pirated software, models, etc. here!

Started by gregsandor, May 11, 2008, 09:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

lightning

all the software i use to make my plants is legal except xfrog for maya but i got no idea how to use that ;D
but i have a legal copy of xfrog 3.5 xfrog 4.3 and cinema 4d r10.5 and onyx broad leaf i got them all at student price!

rcallicotte

...and I appreciate so many of the trees, bushes, and grass you have made.  Some of, if not the best, on here.  Your grass was a breakthrough.  The only thing you might watch is the non-commercial license thing, when you go to sell your objects.  Anyway, that's not my business, except if I go to buy something from you.

Quote from: lightning on May 12, 2008, 04:37:19 PM
all the software i use to make my plants is legal except xfrog for maya but i got no idea how to use that ;D
but i have a legal copy of xfrog 3.5 xfrog 4.3 and cinema 4d r10.5 and onyx broad leaf i got them all at student price!

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

lightning

Quote from: calico on May 12, 2008, 09:12:15 PM
...and I appreciate so many of the trees, bushes, and grass you have made.  Some of, if not the best, on here.  Your grass was a breakthrough.  The only thing you might watch is the non-commercial license thing, when you go to sell your objects.  Anyway, that's not my business, except if I go to buy something from you.

if you bought my models and which hardly anyone has :( you would have read in the pdf that the models can be used for commercial use

nikita

I think what calico is talking about are the licenses for the student-edition programs you use to make your objects. They typically don't allow commercial use.

lightning

Quote from: calico on May 12, 2008, 09:12:15 PM

sorry i didnt read what you said properly ::)

i didnt know about all that non comercial use stuff that sux >:(
afterall i did buy the damn software\
this is why i hate these software companys so much with all this legal shit you have to go through >:(

Will

Thats why I like to buy commercial licenses rather than student licenses though I did get one for XSI.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

nikita

Quote from: lightning on May 12, 2008, 10:18:58 PMi didnt know about all that non comercial use stuff that sux >:(
afterall i did buy the damn software\
this is why i hate these software companys so much with all this legal shit you have to go through >:(

You're not alone with that problem - nobody reads EULAs  ;D Maybe some of your licenses do allow commercial use.. did you check this?

If I ever own a software company, I plan to include the weirdest stuff in my license agreements just to see how long it takes till someone notices. "By using this software you accept the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your creator and god." or "You may only use this software if you eat one small stone each time you start the application. The final definition of 'stone' and 'one' is to be made solely by the vendor."

dandelO

Quote"You may only use this software if you eat one small stone each time you start the application. The final definition of 'stone' and 'one' is to be made solely by the vendor."

I like that!  :D

rcallicotte

This is one reason I like software like Silo and Modo.  Not too expensive and can still do a lot.  Another good software, if you find it on-sale at DAZ or some other place, is zBrush.  All of these are pretty affordable, if you have even a part-time job, and all of these have been used to make money by some great modelers and artists.

Heck, even TG2 has been used already to make money by someone who owned the full license.  More than once.

@Lightning - Just don't give up.  You're very talented and will figure a way out of this.  Remember - don't quit.  Your stuff is great.

nikita

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on May 13, 2008, 08:50:04 AM
This is one reason I like software like Silo and Modo.  Not too expensive and can still do a lot.  Another good software, if you find it on-sale at DAZ or some other place, is zBrush.  All of these are pretty affordable, if you have even a part-time job, and all of these have been used to make money by some great modelers and artists.

Heck, even TG2 has been used already to make money by someone who owned the full license.  More than once.

@Lightning - Just don't give up.  You're very talented and will figure a way out of this.  Remember - don't quit.  Your stuff is great.

Who do you know for example? Not that I'm seriously planning to try to earn something with TG2 :)

rcallicotte

Besides Digital Domain, TG2 has been used in Golden Compass and Star Trek and Stealth and another movie I can't remember.  Somebody from Planetside has more info than I have.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 13, 2008, 09:24:35 AM
Quote from: calico on May 13, 2008, 08:50:04 AM

Who do you know for example? Not that I'm seriously planning to try to earn something with TG2 :)

nikita

Quote from: calico on May 13, 2008, 10:08:34 AM
Besides Digital Domain, TG2 has been used in Golden Compass and Star Trek and Stealth and another movie I can't remember.  Somebody from Planetside has more info than I have.

I think those are Digital Domain projects and thus have been made with Engen.

rcallicotte

@nikita - Golden Compass wasn't...for sure.  It was made by someone who visits this website.