chat on the forum ?

Started by Seth, February 11, 2009, 11:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

sometimes, i can see people talking to each others on the forum with a difference of 1 minute between the posts so i was wandering... why don't you put a little shoutbox or chatroom on the forum... ? it might improve the communication sometimes ^^

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dark Fire

I agree. I would suggest Jibdig (I think there was a Terragen thing there), but it hasn't been working for years...

Tangled-Universe

I agree, but I also don't...

I agree if the chatlog is being posted as a message afterwards.
If not I don't :)

Many times other people are also interested in the subject, especially when it is a problem or a way to make something really cool. It would then be killing for the forum if information gets lost due to a chatfunction.

Or is this a stupid thought?

Martin

Dark Fire

But that would make us like XDA-Developers - we'd end up telling everyone with random basic questions just to use the search feature of the forums.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 11, 2009, 11:38:30 AM
But that would make us like XDA-Developers - we'd end up telling everyone with random basic questions just to use the search feature of the forums.

In regard to whose post is this? I think I don't understand?

Seth

no, that is not stupid. But sometimes people just keep talking to each others with (sorry to say that) almost zero interest for other people not involved in the talking...
I just submit the idea because sometimes chatting allows better understanding than posting (well to me it does sometimes)

ps : for example, while i was writing, there were people posting in this thread so i have the message
QuoteWarning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Dark Fire

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 11, 2009, 11:39:38 AM
Quote from: Dark Fire on February 11, 2009, 11:38:30 AM

In regard to whose post is this? I think I don't understand?
To yours. I'd hardly be replying to my own post.
The point is that these forums would become an inherently less friendly place, and swamped with random information.

Tangled-Universe

I understand you point, but I think a lot of useful information for other people will be lost when they are going on chat.

I live in the Netherlands and what if American people are having an interesting discussion about whatever....I won't be able to participate because it's probably in the middle of the night here. So there's no way I can ever get to that info, because there are no forum-posts about it.

Seth

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 11, 2009, 11:46:49 AM

I live in the Netherlands and what if American people are having an interesting discussion about whatever....I won't be able to participate because it's probably in the middle of the night here. So there's no way I can ever get to that info, because there are no forum-posts about it.

totally right !
but i was thinking about a less technical chatting place...

Dark Fire

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 11, 2009, 11:46:49 AM
I understand you point, but I think a lot of useful information for other people will be lost when they are going on chat.

The amount of data that could generate would be obscene though, and a lot of it would be rubbish because many people will use it as Seth says.
Also, if it's that important to you, I'm sure you could set up a system to create a log for yourself or *gasps* stay awake.

rcallicotte

Dark Fire, he's in the Netherlands Germany.  Don't be a futz.

Anyway, chat can have its use for quickfire conversations and wouldn't be used for instruction - I wouldn't use it that way, but I might ask questions from someone.  It depends on how it's used.  If someone doesn't use the chat, no one could force them.  But, if two or more people wanted to discuss something rather right then and there with the details at hand, chat is useful.

Dark Fire

Who's in Germany? I'm confused now.

Tangled-Universe

Yeah, who's in Germany? And what's a 'futz'???

rcallicotte

TU - you're in Germany, aren't you?  And a 'futz' is a putz with a tendency to f^@% around with people.