Real

Started by rcallicotte, February 03, 2009, 11:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Something looks realistic about this, even though it still looks like a CG cloud.  Not sure if its the color, the sharpness...not sure.  Nice work!
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Confusoid

To me it seems the lack of internal light scattering. Seeing the shape along the dark side is throwing it off i think.

It's to bad we can't get along the cloud edges small-scale break-up i mean very small and fine like seeing mist close-up. I think that would help with this.

Cyber-Angel

Talking of Terragens scattering in clouds my understanding of the Fake Internal Scattering is that is single scattering in the forward direction only; whereas the lighting of real clouds comes form multiple Mie Scattering in both the forward and backward directions, also there is droplet optics to consider and the scattering interactions between droplets.

The thing is; that we will only be able to get so far with TG2 as specified and equipped the way things are today a case of close, but no cigar. These things may change over time but that's for the future [maybe]. In closing I don't wish to rain one any ones parade, just stating my two cents worth, and that's that.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel             

rcallicotte

I appreciate your comments and well wishes.  I'm struggling with the belief that what CA says is true - the TG2 clouds in their present form cannot quite look like the real deal.  We've seen some cool stuff and we especially know how much work has gone into creating the "perfect" clouds, so I too am not here for controversy.  Just keeping it - "Real".

Now, on to my next iteration of how to get this last cloud looking more like this photo...

;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Confusoid

Multiple Scattering, your right. That is what i was thinking but it's more then possible. There is software that can even do this in real time with clouds so i think it's just a matter of the developers implementing it which they will eventually. Vue 7 has indirect illumination but i am not sure if it does it like multiple scattering would.

moodflow

Quote from: Saurav on February 11, 2009, 02:14:13 AM
Updated version of the clouds I was working on before. I reduced internal scattering and upped the ambient lighting as TU suggested. Exported as an EXR file and tonemapped in PS, colour corrected in Lightroom.

4.5Hrs render time.

Saurav, what about dropping GI lighting to 0.5?  I did that on my image, and it made a huge difference.  Its worth a shot!

Saurav

Thanks for the tip moodflow.  :)  I'll give that a go on my next try.

rcallicotte

I'm finding the same thing, Moodflow.  The Environmental Lighting, when set low, seems to work wonders in the clouds.  Not sure why, but maybe this and some multiscattering would make all the difference.  But, what do I know?  I'm just a TG2 twiddler.   :-*
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Quote from: calico on February 18, 2009, 08:41:46 AM
I'm just a TG2 twiddler.   :-*

Yep, same here my friend!   8)