Plants

Started by helentr, January 21, 2007, 03:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helentr

Hi,

I managed to make TGOs of some of the Plant Studio and Arbaro plants.
If you are interested, I can post some more (at least those that are under 500 kb zipped).
Two samples below: A low poly Plant Studio cabbage and a detailed Arbaro grass.

Helen

Dark Fire

They look good enough for me - thanks!

Tim O'Donoghue

helentr

This is the fan palm from Arbaro.
Its trunk and branches need some texturing (all the Xfrog trees are textured) - the file has only simple colors.
For the image below, I used EA16brk1_b.tif from the Xfrog tgo files as a bump map for the trunk.

*Edited on 22/2/07: Made an image map for the trunk, smoothed the trunk and added UV for the trunk and leafs. The RAR includes a PNG image with the UV map. If you want, you can paint over it for a leaf image. Have not had luck so far :(

Helen

§ardine

Hey thanks for the donations  8)
I'm thinking that if I ever get some time I may do some modeling to contribute to here  :D

datey

thank you so much for the plants...there so cool
datey

helentr

This is from the older XFrog plants (someone had posted a link in the forum). They are not directly usable in Terragen. I can post a tutorial on how to convert them with Wings3D, Terragen and an image editor.

Helen

Dark Fire

There's no denying that the XFrog plants are the best out there, but these plants are giving those of us who don't have mountains of money to spend a chance to create nice pictures.

helentr

Quote from: Dark Fire on January 24, 2007, 03:34:33 PM
There's no denying that the XFrog plants are the best out there, but these plants are giving those of us who don't have mountains of money to spend a chance to create nice pictures.

I would prefer onyx http://www.onyxtree.com/ to XFrog, I like the look of their plants better and they include 300 plants in the package, while XFrog plants cost a fortune. So, I would buy Onyx if I could afford it.

Until then, free Arbaro http://arbaro.sourceforge.net/ is a decent alternative - the only drawback is that the OBJ export has broken textures and you need to reapply them in another application.

In Terragen, at least according to the majority of renders I have seen so far, we don't need high poly tree models (10 to 100 Mb and more each OBJ+textures), except for a couple close ups. All the above programs make high poly trees (with XFrog you can buy XFrog Tune to reduce the complexity of the trees). I don't know of a decent medium to low-poly tree modeler and certainly none free.
Plant Studio (http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/PlantStudio/) makes low poly  plants and is free, but no trees. The plants are usable if you change the (garish) colors and reflections.

Speaking of which, here is another Plant Studio plant, campanula, with better detail. The TGO size needed a RAR compression to fit into the forum rules.

Helen

Lucio

thank you very much helen

Costaud

Quote from: helentr on January 24, 2007, 01:11:59 PM
This is from the older XFrog plants (someone had posted a link in the forum). They are not directly usable in Terragen. I can post a tutorial on how to convert them with Wings3D, Terragen and an image editor.

Helen

Yes yes post a tutorial please.

helentr

Here is the tutorial - just plain text.

Helen

Costaud

helentr

I thought of making a water plant, so I made the model of a leaf that I saw on a photo.
They are tricky to put on the water. You need to uncheck the "sit on terrain" for populations and move up and down in small increments.
The ones on the scene below probably needed a calmer water ...
And even the tiniest displacement on the leaf texture fractal (say 0.01) ruins them.

Helen

Tim O'Donoghue

Ooooh, that's super! From seeing similar plants here, the edges do not seem to touch the water, and you've modeled that perfectly.