Jungle - RTO version @ page 5

Started by Tangled-Universe, April 02, 2009, 11:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Oh yes, sorry...of course: it is rendering at the default size of 400MB, so nothing exciting :)

Mohawk20

Ah, so you had changed it before and that didn't work out. So you see there is a default setting for a reason  ;)
Howgh!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 12, 2009, 12:51:55 PM
Ah, so you had changed it before and that didn't work out. So you see there is a default setting for a reason  ;)

Of course, wiseguy ;)

There was a good reason to use a greater rendercache than the default.
Since I have >4GB of RAM TG2 should be able to utilize all available resources up to its own limitation.
By offering a greater rendercache you could theoritically offer TG2 more "room" to work with.
This could also increase renderspeed and in some cases could also prevent counter-errors.

Matt made this educated guess some time ago and it worked fine for a couple of scenes before.
Probably with this one lots of RAM was already allocated by the cache and more RAM was necessary for other processes.
At that point some threads crashed because of memory-issues.
At least, these are so far the most recent thoughts on what was happening.
Unless you have a better understanding of it and knew I really had to use 400MB, then I'm really happy to hear :)

Martin

Oshyan

Actually there are so far only very few scenes where I have seen any positive difference with increased caches. In *theory* a larger cache will provide better performance, but in practice I think other overhead factors reduce the impact of this. So as a general rule again it is best not to change it. Once TG2 goes 64 bit that advice may change since it will then be possible to use much more memory, but still it is not useful to use more memory than "necessary". This is particularly so with very complex and demanding scenes since they already take up a lot of memory even before rendering.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Ok, here it is:

Rendered in <20 hours @ 1920x1080.
Detail 1, AA 12, GI 2/4 + SS-prepass, Mitchell-Netravalli filter + Bloom.
96 atmosphere samples and clouds @ quality 1.5.
Rendered in 2 crops and used the region padding feature which resulted in 2 perfectly seamless crops :)

Click here for 1920x1080-version:

Enjoy!

Martin

Tangled-Universe

oops...double-post, sorry :)

PG

~Fantastic. It's as good, if not better, than RArchers Climbing the Chimney render. Can I use it as a wallpaper? :D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

I love the fuzzy rockside with the ferns. Is that procedural, or a grass pop?
Howgh!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PG on April 13, 2009, 06:49:13 AM
~Fantastic. It's as good, if not better, than RArchers Climbing the Chimney render. Can I use it as a wallpaper? :D

Thanks :) Feel free to use it, I made it for the same purpose ;)

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 13, 2009, 06:49:22 AM
I love the fuzzy rockside with the ferns. Is that procedural, or a grass pop?

Thanks too :)
Unfortunately not procedural, it's indeed a grass pop, about 1.1 million instances (only around the crater!).

Martin

inkydigit

awesome vegetation.... great place to abseil!

Seth

very very good lighting dude !
love the population and the realistic look

sjefen

Awesome work Martin. Keep it up.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Mohawk20

Ok, so which grass was it? I like how it covers even the steep slopes.
Howgh!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 13, 2009, 10:59:10 AM
Ok, so which grass was it? I like how it covers even the steep slopes.

Here's the clipfile of the grasses. The camera is positioned in the crater.
Hope this will provide enough info :)

Martin

Mohawk20

I can't check it out now, rendering on both pc's. But the fact that you can share objects in a clipfile means you used the internal grass object. Nice to see those looks pretty good as well.
Howgh!