NWDA image contest - The WINNERS

Started by FrankB, May 12, 2009, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

So, I'm curious: who is still working on their entry for the contest?

dandelO

I'm really trying to but it's taking me hours to do anything in TG worthwhile. My cave scene, that was WIP for the contest, took about 3-4 hours to render on the pc it was made in, the same scene on this hunk of junk I'm using now will take probably 8-10.

Everything I'm doing recently is as minimal as possible, all crap, simply to fill my render-needs! I need a pc upgrade, quickly! :(

rcallicotte

I am, but I've had -

• lots of stuff going on at home
  • my anniversary coming up
  • a PC breakdown
  • lots of other software needs
  • TG2 rendering slowly
  • experimenting with something in TG2 has slowed things down even more

But, I'll still attempt to get something in.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Zylot

Aye, it's a good thing I finished mine when I did, as my PC has been destroyed as well.

On the upside, I won't have the absolute worst render machine here anymore. ;)

Zairyn Arsyn

I'm still working on mine, the clouds part that is,
plus I'm working on two other render projects.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Thelby

Geezzz, That's Dido for me, too!!! My Rendering Computer just took a nose dive. Lost my CPU and motherboard, but at least my HDD is OK, Wheeew!!! Anyway, I try not to use this PC I am on now for rendering even though it is a 3 GHz DualCore. I don't want to burn it out cause it is great for the Internet. I usually use it for building some scenes then send them to the renderer, but not till I get a new motherboard and CPU. I do have my eye on a 3.73 GHz Extreme DualCore that runs like a Quad and it is inexpensive, too. Couple of replaced jumpers and it should hummmmm well over 4 GHz easy!!!
But that is my story!!!  :D

domdib

Still plugging away at shaders and pops - will have something to show soon.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Thelby on June 30, 2009, 03:56:32 PM
Geezzz, That's Dido for me, too!!! My Rendering Computer just took a nose dive. Lost my CPU and motherboard, but at least my HDD is OK, Wheeew!!! Anyway, I try not to use this PC I am on now for rendering even though it is a 3 GHz DualCore. I don't want to burn it out cause it is great for the Internet. I usually use it for building some scenes then send them to the renderer, but not till I get a new motherboard and CPU. I do have my eye on a 3.73 GHz Extreme DualCore that runs like a Quad and it is inexpensive, too. Couple of replaced jumpers and it should hummmmm well over 4 GHz easy!!!
But that is my story!!!  :D

That sounds awful :( Hopefully it won't cost you too much money in the end and hopefully you can still finish the work!

Quote from: domdib on June 30, 2009, 04:06:00 PM
Still plugging away at shaders and pops - will have something to show soon.

Keep on going I'd say. With 2 weeks left there's enough time to finish stuff.

Martin

littlecannon

Hi Frank.... If I get my image down to 250kb, it will look pretty rough and have very little detail, the same if I downsize the image. Can I send you a full quality (albeit jpeg) to look at and then maybe just resize/compress it for the gallery? Thanks in advance, Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

rcallicotte

Are you asking for an exception to the size rule?  If so, and it goes through, then maybe a few of us would like that exception.

Quote from: littlecannon on July 02, 2009, 10:22:55 AM
Hi Frank.... If I get my image down to 250kb, it will look pretty rough and have very little detail, the same if I downsize the image. Can I send you a full quality (albeit jpeg) to look at and then maybe just resize/compress it for the gallery? Thanks in advance, Simon.

domdib

Indeed. I wonder why this size restriction is in place? Is it related to technical restrictions on NWDA's site? Perhaps Frank could let us know. After all, limiting the dimensions should ensure that no-one gets an unfair advantage, and as littlecannon is suggesting, for realism, detail is quite important.

littlecannon

Hey calico and domdib... it's just so they see it in all it's glory, but it would be nice if they upped the size as it seems strange to judge a competition on realism with bad quality pictures ???
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Tangled-Universe

Yes, the size-limit is due to technical limitations of the NWDA-site.
I shall have a chat with Frank to see if it's possible to also send an unresized/uncompressed image along with your submission to be reviewed. BUT, you would still have to send a max 1680x1050px and max 250kb image as submission.
So not as a replacement. We're not going to resize/compress images for participants.

We'll get back to you soon.

Martin

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 02, 2009, 11:04:19 AM
Yes, the size-limit is due to technical limitations of the NWDA-site.
I shall have a chat with Frank to see if it's possible to also send an unresized/uncompressed image along with your submission to be reviewed. BUT, you would still have to send a max 1680x1050px and max 250kb image as submission.
So not as a replacement. We're not going to resize/compress images for participants.

We'll get back to you soon.

Martin

WTF?   And which Image will you Judge from?  I downsized mine from 1680x1256 too 1404x1050 then optimized from 2.3 MB down too 244kb to meet requirements. I Just compared the 2 images and can't see much difference at all. I figured the optimizing was part of the competition?
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

rcallicotte

Did you keep your original?

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on July 02, 2009, 12:31:50 PM

WTF?   And which Image will you Judge from?  I downsized mine from 1680x1256 too 1404x1050 then optimized from 2.3 MB down too 244kb to meet requirements. I Just compared the 2 images and can't see much difference at all. I figured the optimizing was part of the competition?