Black patches on finished render

Started by mt_sabao, May 26, 2009, 04:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mt_sabao

??? :-\ image says it all. I get the "finished rendering" message, but this black patches remain on the image. Anyone knows what this might be? maybe terragen can't hand so many objects?!?! They around 20 000 polygons each, it's not that many i think.

It starts being really frustrating using Terragen for real life projects with real deadlines  :-[

mt_sabao

after a fresh restart, nothing opened but terragen, after 17 min of rendering again "finished rendering" message, and again black patches, different this time, but lots of black un-rendered area :/
anyone?

mt_sabao

turning GI off (under Enviro Light, Mode: Ambient Occlusion) the render finished, but looks terribly bland...

FrankB

it seems like a specific model of yours does not have textures. Can you check the texture path and texture filenames and extensions?

Regards;
Frank

Mohawk20

Quote from: FrankB on May 26, 2009, 05:45:52 AM
it seems like a specific model of yours does not have textures. Can you check the texture path and texture filenames and extensions?

Regards;
Frank

That was my guess as well, looks like the black patches have the shape of specific models.
Howgh!

mt_sabao

Hmm, Thanks for replying guys. But I don't think that's it. It has rendered in Ambient occlusion and also with just a couple of antennas, and they're  the same, only repeated. i'm doing a smaller render see if it works

mt_sabao

it renders in smaller res (1080->600)  and quality (detail 0.5 -> 0.35, GI blur radius 8 -> 4).
Also the memory usage seems to be the same, (1.9GB, 2.99GB virtual) on both renders. I'm on a Mac btw...

grrrrrrrr   ???

mt_sabao

domdib

I'd suggest you move this into the Support forum and send PS a TGD along with whatever models you're using. Since Jo is the Mac person, she'd probably be the best person to look at this.

EDIT: And if, as you imply, there is a deadline on this, it would probably help to let PS know what it is.

cyphyr

Things to try :)
Put the objects through Poseray, seems to sort out most of the obj issues:
Check for small displacements especially on your model, unless your getting real close to your objects they will serve little purpose and can cause problems.
Another option might be to export your fully textured object out from TG2 as a TGO object and then replace your obj's with tgo's.
If you like I can look at the file and objects for you pm me if interested.
Good luck
richard
is that a population of dishes or 13 single objects?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

This looks like textures are missing...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

No I don't think its missing textures, the black squares are not limited to the objects although I do suspect the objects are causing the errors. I suspect it may have something to do with either the objects or (I think) the DEM terrain your using.
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Matt

It looks like something in your objects (or the object shaders) is causing bad values to be stored in the GI cache (because the problem goes away if you use a different GI mode: ambient occlusion). Can you try re-rendering with just a basic Lambert Shader attached to your objects? If that renders OK, take a look at your shaders and try different settings or shaders to find out where the problem is coming from.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Henry Blewer

Are the objects double sided? Open them in the program you used to create them. Set the polygons to double sided, then import them back into Terragen 2. Set the double sided checkbox. This may be what's going on. I had a similar issue 15 years ago using Lightwave objects in a 3D game I never finished.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi,

Quote from: domdib on May 26, 2009, 09:10:16 AM
Since Jo is the Mac person, she'd probably be the best person to look at this.

Jo is a he ;-).

Anyway, if you try Matt's suggestions above and don't have any joy, please pack up *everything* which makes up the scene and send it to me. If it's over 10 MB it might not come through via email so you'd need to upload it somewhere and send me the link, if possible. You can email me at :

jomeder@planetside.co.uk

Regards,

Jo