A Get Started Terragen 2 Tutorial for the Terrified

Started by schmeerlap, October 09, 2009, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVA99

Hey John, you rock!

Thanks for a very good tutorial.

Echo R

I did the tutorial and it wasn't quite the same still had a lot of the strata rock part showing but my biggest problem was rendering time. It took 1 hour 40 minutes. I have the free version so it changed the size automatically but I didn't mess with any of the other settings since I don't understand what the numbers or words mean.... so how can I get rendering time down?

schmeerlap

Hi Echo R
An hour and 40 minutes isn't too long a render time as TG2 renders generally go. Of course it will depend on the spec of your machine, in particaular the speed of your processor and the amount of ram your machine has.
Check out the following link which will give you good advice on optimum rendering settings:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6442.0

regards
John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

nemasis

I have known about Terragen for a while. I first heard about it when I read Jag Panzer used it for the mountain scenes in one of there videos. Unfortunately the learning curve was a bit steep, and the search continued. I have used Vue, but just didn't like it. I know its been used in major motion pictures and all...but eh, whatever.

I just want to thank you John for putting this together as this has helped tremendously in my understanding!

I'll post my render as soon as its finished.

Nemasis

nemasis

Posting of finished render. I have the free version so detail is set at 1 and AA set at 3. res at 800x480. rendered in 53mins.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1628241/ben_mcduff_final.jpg

-nemasis

schmeerlap

Good effort nemasis. Maybe the grass is a bit too saturated and yellowy; going darker and closer to the reddish side of green might improve it. The more you practice, the more confident and better you get.
Oh, and there shouldn't be any need to go higher than 1 with the render detail setting; I usually render at 0.9.

John

nemasis

Yea the grass is something i want to tweak...way to yellow.

Is it possible in the full version to go past 1 in render detail?

Again, thanks.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Yes, but it is almost never necessary and generally not advised to do. If there appear to be "detail" issues, they likely stem from other factors like antialiasing, atmosphere or cloud samples, etc.

- Oshyan

nemasis

Any chance on seeing a tutorial on vegetation populations?  ;D

nemasis

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

freelancah

A fine tutorial. I usually link this to people who ask for help ;)

DannyG

John thanks, this is a must have foundation to TG 2. Thanks for taken the time to write it. Credit Mr Lampost's Bush pack
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

schmeerlap

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond , Danny, but I've been off the computer since I injured my right arm. Nice clouds, and I like the sunlight streaking through the atmosphere; small terrain features seem a wee bit spiky.

John.

bobbystahr

Quote from: schmeerlap on December 29, 2010, 11:13:49 AM
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond , Danny, but I've been off the computer since I injured my right arm. Nice clouds, and I like the sunlight streaking through the atmosphere; small terrain features seem a wee bit spiky.

John.

sorry to hear you injured yourself man...got a bit of arm pain lately as well but due mainly to over work as I'm practicing, playing and computing as well as shovelling snow so the arms get a bit stressed. glad yer back on the box again.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist