Why Apple Passed Microsoft in Market Capitalization

Started by Kadri, May 28, 2010, 12:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikita

Real men build their own pad out of a single $3 microcontroller and a roll of tinfoil!

Apple products simply are not for geeks - it's for people who want to pointlessly spend money an easy to use device that makes them feel good. That's fine, but what I really hate is the hype.

Quote from: http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays"Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

old_blaggard

I for one don't understand why these folks don't have a higher market cap than either of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYw2ewoO6c4.

Also, just to chime in: Mac and PC are both fine. I use a Mac and am more comfortable with it because that's what I grew up with, and I'm usually able to find deals or proper buying cycles that make Mac hardware no more expensive than the PC equivalent. I think the real reason that Apple has increased its market cap so much is a) the future growth expectations of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad platforms versus Microsoft's saturated market, and b) the simple fact that the iPhone has been a runaway success, with total iPhone sales projected to hit up to 40 million units this year (don't forget that the iPhone is sold to the carriers for more than twice its cost in parts).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

FrankB

@Kadri: I didn't even read the content behind the link you posted. I was just commenting on the generalization comments made to this thread. I don't think anyone is angry or anything, it's just a normal debate. I know Franck. He writes some stuff. I kick his ass, he kicks my ass, and we have a laugh later on. PG usually has a valid and reasonable view on things and adds another angle to the debate. Usually in the end, Walli jumps in and writes something so utterly profound and true that we all feel like kids. So it's great, hehe :)

Kadri

Hmmm... ?  Then there should be someone who says Linux is the best or something in this line ,
as in most PC or Mac OS threads . Who would be that guy?  Efflux ? ;D

You guys are crazy :)

PG

Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Walli

Quote from: FrankB on May 28, 2010, 01:40:10 PMUsually in the end, Walli jumps in and writes something so utterly profound and true that we all feel like kids. So it's great, hehe :)

cookies for all, but then brush your teeth with iBrush and then off we go to bed ;-)

Zairyn Arsyn

:D:
Quote from: Walli on May 28, 2010, 04:55:00 PM
Quote from: FrankB on May 28, 2010, 01:40:10 PMUsually in the end, Walli jumps in and writes something so utterly profound and true that we all feel like kids. So it's great, hehe :)

cookies for all, but then brush your teeth with iBrush and then off we go to bed ;-)
With iToothpaste!!!
with ifluoride!
;D
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

PG

This topic's gettin' crazy. iMagettinouttahere
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Seth

Planetside needs to create an app for iPad... wouldn't it be cool to play iTG2 on it ?

Seth

FrankB

I think the iPad is a great thing. As long as your conscious about the lock-in and can be in peace with the fact, it's a nice tool. People try to make it more than it should be, and then criticize it for not meeting their expectations. Like no webcam, no USB (although there's an adapter) and various other shortcomings when compared to a netbook or a normal notebook.
The way I look at it it's a browsing machine for the couch. To browse a few site, see a few videos, read newspapers, check some email, and from time to time show a few photos if required.
It's useless for music (because at home I have my HiFi and when travelling a small ipod), and I don't think its a good book reader either. It's also very little fun to game with (kids may see this differently). It's really just for surfing and a few things left and right of that.

Most people, and I assume close to nobody, really needs it, but it's nice to have because it's convenient to use. It's like you may have a car for the family, and would love to have a convertible just for the sunny days and when you're on your own. You actually don't need it, but when you can afford it, why not? And nobody's going to criticize you for it.

So it's with the iPad, just on a smaller scale (500 USD)... I think I'm going to get one.  :P

oh, and:  :P

Cheers,
Frank

Seth

Lucky lucky :p  that must be nice for websurfing in bed. i can't read books on a screen... i guess some people can but i don't like it...

PabloMack

Microsoft is still really a software company.  They have had some forays into hardware like their mouse and even the XBox.  But let's face it.  When it comes to cell phones and embedded mobile devices, why should anyone think a bunch of SW nerds would come anywhere close to coming up with a winning product when they are up against a company like Motorola who has literally built the mobile com market since its very inception.  These little devices pack so much high tech hardware into such a small device that it takes a charismatic company like Motorola to make it happen.  The Droid is even kicking the pants off of the iPhone and I'm glad to see it.  This is their life blood and they have to succeed in this area or it will mean the end of the line for this engineering intensive company.  

Quote from: Walli on May 28, 2010, 04:55:00 PM

DYM: iCookies for all, brush your iTeeth with iBrush and then go off to sleep in your iBed.  Sounds like Big iBrother must be watching us.  Make sure iSteve doesn't have control of your iWallet with his iPhone. 

Oshyan

I think the problem with the iPad, and why people are "judging it on things it doesn't do" are 1: it costs enough that you kind of expect it to have some of these features and/or be good enough for these uses 2: some of the excluded features are missing *for no good reason* and are obviously (or at least perceived as being obviously) left out for lock-in, price gouging (on accessories), and future upgrade reasons (e.g. iPad 2.0 will have a web cam, and USB could have been easy and cheap to add).

So yeah Frank, it does *what it does* just fine, but does its cost justify what it does do? That's the real question here.

- Oshyan