Mojoliths Clip

Started by RichTwo, July 23, 2010, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

Clip file only (not a .tgd world set-up) for my Mojoliths.  Once again, I have merely pieced together parts of files that someone else created.  My only claim to invention is assembling them and making adjustments.  A brief tutorial on how to use:

There are four main Groups: Standing Structures, Lower Terrain, Bulges, and Grooves.

Standing Structures: Creates the liths.  Seed node controls their diameter with the Lead-in and lowest values. Density controls the spacing.  A value of 0.52 seems to work the best; anything lower will overcrowd the scene.  Color Adjust shader controls the shape of the liths.  Main Displacement controls their height.

Lower Terrain:  Creates only a base on which the liths will sit.  It is fully adjustable.  The Surface Layer shader is only used as a mixer.

Bulges: Creates the large lateral displacements on the liths.  Distort Scale node controls their overall size.  Feature scale min and max nodes create the difference between their sizes.  Note: it is best to keep min and max values fairly close to each other, otherwise there will be too much distortion.  The Color Adjust shader controls their shape.  Displacement shader controls their volume.

Grooves: Creates the small recesses in the liths and terrain.  There are two sets of these and their controls are similar to those of the Bulges group.  This group can be disconnected and will not affect any of the other Groups' functions.

I hope you enjoy!
They're all wasted!

domdib

Very generous Rich. I'm particularly interested in the "Grooves" - they give a real alien feel. Thanks!

schmeerlap

Thanks, Rich, much appreciated.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

pfrancke

yes indeed thank you!!!!!

MGebhart

Thank you Rich2. Very cool stuff.
Marc Gebhart

Dune

Thanks Rich2, I much appreciate your explanation and generosity.

badsue

Thanks so much Rich2. This is so much fun playing around with - and learning.

AndyWelder

Your generosity is very much appreciated.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Henry Blewer

Thanks. I have been wondering how you did these. It's something I have tried and not figured out.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

matrix2003

Awesome! This clip is a lot of fun! Thanks.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Volker Harun

While my scenes start to look more and more like your technique, I needed to look at your clip-file.
It is amazing how many nodes you have connected, nodes with pure white or black previews ... so you worked your way through a jungle by night ... not seeing the next step .... I couldn't!

At a few points your setup seems to be more complicated than necessary ... nonetheless very good work.

Volker

schmeerlap

Quote from: Volker Harun on September 05, 2010, 04:46:17 AM
I needed to look at your clip-file.
It is amazing how many nodes you have connected, nodes with pure white or black previews ... so you worked your way through a jungle by night ... not seeing the next step .... I couldn't!
At a few points your setup seems to be more complicated than necessary.

Hi, Volker (or anyone with the know how)
Could you post (in this thread) a cleaned up version of this function clip, that retains its full functionality, with a brief explanation of which nodes are superfluous or wrongly positioned.
That would be very helpful to the understanding of which node does what and how.
My understanding of it is too sketchy to take this on.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

AndyWelder

QuoteCould you post (in this thread) a cleaned up version of this function clip, that retains its full functionality, with a brief explanation of which nodes are superfluous or wrongly positioned.
That would be very helpful to the understanding of which node does what and how.
In my case I'd even say I don't have the faintest clue! I worked a lot with the clip recently and got nice results but that was trial and error: Changing parameters and see how that worked out.
Most of the Blue Nodes are complete abracadabra to me. :-[
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel