Version 3 Final, was:Unfinished - Meadow with Firs and a "Frank" tree

Started by FrankB, January 29, 2011, 04:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Very nice, Frank. You reminded me of using the procedural grass (instead of my flax and wheat). I never did, but it is very handy stuff. I think yours is a bit too bleached, especially on the hilltop right. And there's a white blob lurking behind a tree...

FrankB

Sooo, here's the next version

What do you think?

Seth

the grass is really good looking, the light is sharp and soft at the same time, the pov is really nice too.
the sky is great to me, really simple and realistic.
and the overall looks like a painting, and to be honest really different from your usual renders :)
great great render, dude ! ^^

Henry Blewer

I like it. This series has inspired me to try similar attempts. Did you use 'Final Normal' for the positioning of the firs on the right?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

Quote from: Dune on February 01, 2011, 02:36:01 AM
Very nice, Frank. You reminded me of using the procedural grass (instead of my flax and wheat). I never did, but it is very handy stuff. I think yours is a bit too bleached, especially on the hilltop right. And there's a white blob lurking behind a tree...

Yeah I exaggerated the exposure a bit, so that part of the grassy area turned almost white. It should be better in my latest render above.
My procedural grass isn't really procedural. It's just the built-in grass clump, but with customized settings and procedural coloring, so that I get large scale patches of greener and browner grass.
The white lurking blob was a reference sphere which I forgot to disable... also removed in the latest render.

cheers,
Frank

FrankB

Quote from: njeneb on February 01, 2011, 02:37:31 PM
I like it. This series has inspired me to try similar attempts. Did you use 'Final Normal' for the positioning of the firs on the right?

Good to hear that something I did inspires someone else :)

Final Normal doesn't have anything to do with the positioning of these populations.
I just defined a density fractal for the distribution of this population, so that this density fractal would create a mask with white patches, so that the trees are populated in clumps rather than evenly.

Regards,
Frank

Henry Blewer

Ok, I was wondering how the angle away from vertical was done.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

I guess that's just the distortion from a slightly too wide FOV.

... although I also usually add a little tilt to the object in the populator. 2-3 degrees.

Mor

Dune

Very nice, with the slightly darker grass (and without the reference blob). Well balanced scene. I'm not sure about the central pillar of rocks, though. It looks out of place. By the way, what is your undergrowth, I like those shrubs, are they XFrog species?

FrankB

Quote from: Dune on February 02, 2011, 03:24:52 AM
... By the way, what is your undergrowth, I like those shrubs, are they XFrog species?

No, none of them are xfrog library model. They are all NWDA: 2 species of the dry bush bundle pack, one from the crocus pack, and the mouse ear pack, and the fress grass 1 pack. That's all, besides the grass clumps of course.

FrankB

@Dune: hmm, I think the balanced rocks (the pillar, which are multiple rocks stacked) are actually a strong scene element. An art object located in a nice park, sort of...

I felt the grass looked like mowed grass, so the whole scene seemed to be showing a rather gardened area, in which case it was crying out for an object of human art :)

Dune

Then I would choose for a 'real' statue or a bust like in posh gardens, perhaps overgrown with lichen/moss/ivy....

FrankB

one more variant of the same with late afternoon, evening type lighting.