3D Text Import

Started by rcallicotte, April 02, 2011, 07:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I searched, but couldn't find anything on this.  I have created text in Lightwave and want to import the exported object into TG2.  But, the result is like there are no faces.  Surface normal is fine.

I have included the object.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Henry Blewer

I have made some renders using text. I used Wavefront's obj format.
Text in many programs uses b-splines to create the curves and faces. You will probably need to convert the text into a mesh object/s.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

airflamesred

The mesh seems ok thought there is an overlapping tri on the 'e' which I guess was an n-gon. I don't have tg to hand atm to try - I'll look later

Kadri

Try this Calico . After Poseray as you see!
I think the polygons with more then 4 vertices causes problems (Ngons? They are problematic most of the time).
You can tripple the model in LW as the basic way but it creates sometimes very bad made objects (from a polygon workflow)  .
You can-must cleanup the model after. There are other ways too maybe.

I like Poseray it is sometimes a life saver  :)

Edit: I only used "Recalculate normals" in the  "Groups"  tabs in Poseray. Crease angle (deg) was 10 (don't know if this is the default or one that i put in there).

rcallicotte

You guys have been so helpful.  THANKS!  Kadri, thanks for going to all of the trouble; this is working.  I need to get used to the idea of looking for ngons and keep using PoseRay. 

Thanks again.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bobbystahr

Quote from: calico on April 02, 2011, 11:01:42 AM
You guys have been so helpful.  THANKS!  Kadri, thanks for going to all of the trouble; this is working.  I need to get used to the idea of looking for ngons and keep using PoseRay. 

Thanks again.
PoseRay is indeed my best find ever...it has saved me time and again....good that you got it working.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Seth

agreed, poseray
i did my "logo" on blender then put the letters object through poseray and imported it into TG2.
never had problem

inkydigit

does anybody have a link to alphabetic letters etc in obj format (or TGO)?

airflamesred

I'v never seen any, a lot would depend on the font you want. I recall an app called elefont? from years ago

Henry Blewer

It's very easy to make 3D text with most 3D modelling programs. Long ago, back when Reagan was President, 3D fonts sold at a premium.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

bobbystahr

Quote from: inkydigit on April 12, 2011, 05:37:48 AM
does anybody have a link to alphabetic letters etc in obj format (or TGO)?
Found these in freestuff at Renderosity, Just correct the URLs
hXXp://wwwdotrenderositydotcom/mod/freestuff/detailsDOTphp?item_id=29801
hXXp://wwwdotrenderositydotcom/mod/freestuff/detailsDOTphp?item_id=47273
hXXp://wwwdotrenderositydotcom/mod/freestuff/detailsDOTphp?item_id=47327
hXXp://wwwdotrenderositydotcom/mod/freestuff/detailsDOTphp?item_id=63150

Not sure they're all .obj but we have PoseRay to fix that...will likely need running through anyhoo...I use Imagine3D[freely downloadable from imagine3dDOTorg]It has a spline editor you can do type in and it will access any font you have installed with varting degrees of success, and as some one else recommended there's Elefont tho I dunno if it works beyond XP SP3 as I haven't tried it on Win7 which kills a lot of older apps.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

goldfarb

Houdini's Font SOP (surface operator) is very good...
does all kinds of things like kerning and italics...
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

inkydigit

thanks folks...I will check this out!

Ogre

"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot