Waves, once more

Started by Dune, April 15, 2011, 03:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Quote from: Dune on June 07, 2011, 02:17:46 AM
This is a (rough and dirty, and far from perfect) result of our combined set of files, Jon. Mine and your blue nodes, slightly adapted. It's hard to comprehend from the blue nodes that you can set the number of waves by changing color of a PF and the amount of warp by changing the scales. Fascinating. It's great that your nodes easily fit in my method of 'coast-following'. I'll work on this again, as there's much to improve. I was hoping to get a mixed number of waves, blended by a PF, to 'irregulate' the even lines, and I've got a few ideas.

Good start Ulco. I didn't get a chance to continue with this on Sunday, as I found that my files were at work.

I want to create some more control gradients to temper what the wave does at what part of the beach altitude. I also want to explore some of the PF implications we've used as the waves animate.

I'm also thinking we'll need to find a way of creating a gentler beach slope. I have a few ideas on how to do that, which I hope we can aply to any terrain with a set sea level. Maybe use the slope of the beach to determine how many waves there are.

It might also be usefull to get a wave direction multiplier in there to somewhat influence the concentricness of the waves, by giving them some user set slant. But I think that'll come later down the line.

Also, I need to get the wave to follow up the terrain as the energy disipates, then washes back. Again I've kind of plotted that out already.

The linear step node is a serious help with all this. Thanks again Matt.

Henry Blewer

Perhaps a gray scale color gradient would work for adjusting the beach slope. It could be adjusted by stretching the image size.

The last render is really quite wild. Great work guys!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

I'm again working on my own set, the one I sent you to start with, Jon. I reworked it so it makes a gradient from wide and low to narrow and higher at the shore. It seems to work nicely, but I'm at a loss where to include all your extra nodes regarding wave shape front and back and so on. Starting a new render now.... finished. The waves obviously need to be broken up more, and the shape is not quite right, possibly due to the twist and shear shader settings. More work to do.

Dune

Reduced the number of waves and the amount of twist/shear. Never mind the horrible dry land.

Henry Blewer

The waves are looking good. The land portion is not too bad. It can be worked on once the waves are the way you want them.

Dune

This a test with Jon's file again. I (procedurally) masked out some areas behind the breakers to get remnants of breaker foam (like in real life). But the regularity of the lines still bothers me. Back to work.

Henry Blewer

Man, You are one busy person!  :o 8)

Dune

Well, business is kind of slow, so plenty of time to experiment. Hopefully someone will come up with a nice commission again...

otakar

I guess it depends on the vantage point. I'd say in image 3 and 3A the waves look impressively natural, I don't see much regularity there. It'll be harder from the bird eye view (camera high above ground) it seems.

Great job on this for sure! I just want to walk the beach now, especially on a Monday :)

Jonathan

I love the waves. I don't suppose these are possible using the standard water shaders? I have played around with some of the seetings to produce the effect of local effects such as wind etc and the results are pleasing, but haven't yet tackled waves. Stunning with the vegetation though! Jonathan
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!