Pine Forest

Started by Mor, August 30, 2011, 09:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mor

Here's my first version for 4x4 NWDA promo

Used objects:
NWDA HQ pines 10, 18, 21, 22
Walli's dry bush (used to fake heather and lingonberry undergrowth commonly found in pine forests)
Walli's dry grass

(post work: auto levels with XnView)

C&C welcome

FrankB

This is already looking very good!

If I may make a few suggestions, then I'd advise you to not use any auto-levelling of the render, but instead try this yourself. For example the shadows deeper in the woods are a strange tone of blue now, and some areas turn out darker than they have to :)

Secondly turn on soft shadows, this will provide your result with a whole new degree of quality. I think the render would also benefits from a little deaturation, but that relates more to my first suggestion.

Do you have any more plans for the ground cover / stones / rock / other objects etc... in the foreground and midground?

Cheers and looking forward to further versions!
Frank

Dune

What would be nice in this image is if you make the field of view larger (wide angle) and point the camera down more, so you have more water and the reflections of the trees in it. Then indeed one or two moss grown rocks in the shallow water...
I like the undergrowth very much.

Mor

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Frank: Yes that auto levelling didn't work out everywhere, so next versions are pure TG2 :) Foreground was still quite unfinished in the first version and I will continue working on it. The second version has Marc Gebharts dead conifer and some Walli's fresh grass added to the lake shore.

Dune: I'll try that on next one.

Here's version number 2 (with soft shadows):

Henry Blewer

I think the blue shadow in the trees may come from your haze color in the atmosphere. The color saturation may be set too high.

Very good looking renders. I like the way you have used Marc's dead conifer. It's one of the ways I have thought to use it also.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

This is going to be a great render, one you'll be proud of when finished.
The undergrowth is excellent! And the grasses at the shoreline are a perfect fit!
Maybe some interesting, hand-placed group of rocks somewhere in addition could be a good idea!

Now, from a lighting perspective you image needs 2 things: more exposure, and less saturation in the atmosphere. Try setting the color of the background object anywhere between 0.25 and 0.5, which will not only give the atmosphere a less saturated look, but also help with global illumination. Really, :-) give it a try!

Cheers,
Frank

inkydigit

looking real nice Mor!....and thanks for the tip frank, gonna check that out!
cheers
J

choronr

Thank goodness for the great suggestions and ideas our group here presents; sure helps us to get better by learning.

You've got a beauty going here; keep on till you feel good about what you've done.

Mor

Thanks a lot for your great suggestions and comments. Here's a quick update with some stones to fill the "empty spot". Also increased background node color to .25. and added some more exposure. Are the stones too unnoticeable? Should they be larger?

(No postwork 1200x675 Quality .6 AA 3)

choronr

This is very good. The addition of the stones are looking natural; and, are a perfect size for this scene.

FrankB

Looking very good now :)
I'd love to see this a lot larger to be honest.
Have you raytraced the atmosphere? If not you should, this will help clear the remaining noise of the atmosphere under the trees.

Stones are good, but I wouldn't mind seeing some more of those.

Cheers,
Frank

Henry Blewer

Raytracing the atmosphere would be a good thing. Also more of those great looking stones. Nice work!

Mor

RT atmo is on. I think the noise is caused by slight jpg packing. I will render final version a lot bigger. Here's one version with more stones:

And one with even more stones:

choronr

Now that is becoming photo realism. Like the additional stones/rocks. Very good work.

Henry Blewer

Great work. I can find very little that I would change. The thing I would try is different sun angles and clouds, but that would not make this better, just different.