Vue 9 teaser

Started by AP, October 26, 2010, 11:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

wow !!!
so now, they just have to sell it to a decent price and stop asking for money every 6 months for their new release ;)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: wetbanana on October 30, 2010, 08:42:21 PM
vue 8.5 xstream runs absolutely flawlessly on max 2010 hardley ever crashes and when it does its due to max itself not vue.
Vue 8.5 clouds have better scattering than terragens.

here is some nice vue clouds
img width=512 height=236]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/267/d/b/Oceanview_by_Alexm95.jpg[/img]

I really like the rock work here

I agree with you about the scatter in Vue. I think it looks better/more appealing, but when it comes to realism and detail I really have to disagree with you. The scatter algorithms in Vue are too fancied up to make it look more Hollywood, but I wouldn't consider it to be better. Final result matters though, I admit that.

Besides that the noise-fractals for clouds, and the node-based flexibility for adjusting these fractals, allow TG2 to create far more realistic cloudshapes.
I bet a Vue user has the same node-based flexibility to adjust cloud-fractals, but why haven't I seen almost no great cloud images so far?
Your example is nice, but in my opinion not up to par with TG2.
Your TG2 work on clouds is much better, for example ;) Not to mention the dozens of other examples I'd be very happy to drop here if you'd like.

There are much better examples for Vue rock work :) Vue's hyperterrains in combination with the material-editor allows for much greater control and displacement-coolness.
However, the big drawback is stability.
Unlike you suggest I read very often that Vue (Xstream) is very unstable, especially when working with true procedurals. By that I mean procedurals on a planet-wide scale and not locally applied to a heightfield, since that works fine in Vue.

Jack

i agree on that par that Terragen stability and most of all speed and app response time is far better for terrain and procedural work than Vue object wise
vue is better From now on when i do indoor and scifi city scapes vue will be my no choice as shown by this rough concept i did here as im still getting used to this workflow.

but for enormous landscape scenes like my latest Uncharted render Terragen works far better for me  ;)
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: wetbanana on November 01, 2010, 12:22:36 AM
i agree on that par that Terragen stability and most of all speed and app response time is far better for terrain and procedural work than Vue object wise
vue is better From now on when i do indoor and scifi city scapes vue will be my no choice as shown by this rough concept i did here as im still getting used to this workflow.

Vue would be a kind of logical choice for indoor and scifi work since TG2 isn't specifically designed for that and probably won't ever be.
Object-integration and rendering could be improved in TG2 to make even more realistic landscapes.

Eneen

Hi,

Sorry for grabbing old topic, but couldn't resist. IMHO clouds quality from vue will never match TG because (as far as I've tested) vue clouds aren't GI illuminated eg by sky. There is only "ambient" light to fill shadows on clouds. It's easy to check, just change light type in vue (with spectral clouds) from GR to standard and see if it makes difference.

Best regs.

AP

Quote from: Eneen on February 22, 2012, 02:40:52 AM
Hi,

Sorry for grabbing old topic, but couldn't resist. IMHO clouds quality from vue will never match TG because (as far as I've tested) vue clouds aren't GI illuminated eg by sky. There is only "ambient" light to fill shadows on clouds. It's easy to check, just change light type in vue (with spectral clouds) from GR to standard and see if it makes difference.

Best regs.

Check again, Vue does have GI that affects the sky and clouds. In fact Vue has multiple light scattering within the cloud volumes, something which Terragen 2 does not have, yet. ;)

Matt

Quote from: ChrisC on February 22, 2012, 06:13:35 PM
Check again, Vue does have GI that affects the sky and clouds. In fact Vue has multiple light scattering within the cloud volumes, something which Terragen 2 does not have, yet. ;)

I suppose it depends how you define "multiple light scattering", but Terragen 2's GI has always included multiple scattering in clouds and atmosphere. The screen-space resolution of the scattering you can capture depends on the GI relative detail and render detail. It won't capture details down to the pixel level, but you can simulate most of the important large-scale effects of multiple scattering.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

I think TG's approach is a bit more "brute force" or "unbiased" if you will, at least in some respects. I remember when "Spectral Atmospheres" were first introduced the clouds were entirely unaffected by local light sources. So if you put a colored light in a cloud, it wouldn't light it up. They made a big deal out of it when they fixed this, it was one of the headline features of Vue 9 I think. Here's the video they used to demonstrate it: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_9_infinite/videos/Jumbo2.html

Whereas in TG2 I believe the volumetric cloud system has inherently included that capability from the beginning, it just takes a more neutral approach in some ways. This means that, rather than support for a particular feature like that as a "headline" thing, like "cloud self shadowing", it's more of a natural result of taking a more comprehensive approach (although it can be adjusted).

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

By multiple scattering I think he means, like that described in the article presented in the Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, Volume 28, April 1971: Benjamin M.Herman, Samuel  R. Browning and Robert J. Curran, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, The University of Arazona, Tucson: The Effect of Atmospheric Aerosols on Scattered Sunlight.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel         

Matt

You can define the real world phenomenon. How you simulate it is a very open subject. Both Vue and Terragen simulate multiple scattering, but probably do so in different ways. Neither has a fully accurate solution.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Eneen

ChrisC, I'm almost sure, clouds are only lit by sun or other emitters, not by sky. Even in relight there is only "ambient" option (controlling ambient color - make it pink and check). It doesn't matter if I turn gi off or on with all indirect options enabled, ultra or user settings, same result, same clouds.

penang

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on October 27, 2010, 08:58:37 AM
It does help the terrain look more Terragen 2, if Vue was stable enough to render (infinite) procedurals. ;)

The re-lighting option is cool though. I saw a comment on youtube and I agreed that the re-lighting is a big win over Terragen 2 as you can re-light atmosphere intensity and colour. You can dramatically change mood etc. for a whole image without having to re-render it.

Just wondering out loud if Planetside gonna put similar or better features into Terragen 2 ?

AP

Quote from: Eneen on February 23, 2012, 04:52:50 PM
ChrisC, I'm almost sure, clouds are only lit by sun or other emitters, not by sky. Even in relight there is only "ambient" option (controlling ambient color - make it pink and check). It doesn't matter if I turn gi off or on with all indirect options enabled, ultra or user settings, same result, same clouds.

Well, i don't know what to say about that. I have used Vue 5 to now, however i am aware that the cloud GI was added to Vue "6" i think. It has been a while since i last used Vue though. You might want to post your issue at there cornucopia forums or contact e-on directly.