3d text in Terragen.

Started by elipsis1, September 18, 2012, 01:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Just reproduced your problem and got the same message.  What you need to do is ungroup the text object, then weld the characters into a single object, then perform the ngon operation as above.  I know that Hexagon can be extremely temperamental.  It can do what you want it to, it just needs a little patience.

1: Ungroup as such.
2: Weld new characters and perform ngon slice as above.  Your new mesh will be subdivided like so.
3: Import to Terragen and enjoy happy time.

elipsis1

Quote from: Kadri on September 20, 2012, 12:51:22 AM

Do not give up Elipsis1!
Why not post your object here?
We could look what the problem is too!

Well, it is way too late, and I somehow got it to work.

The result is seen on the cover art for my latest song:

http://soundcloud.com/pothos/burn-your-politics

Oh and Badger, you are right about Hexagon, it is pretty easy to get what you want quickly, I'm just kind of bummed that Terragen 2 doesn't really like obj's exported from it without some fiddling.

Thanks again to all who helped on this thread, I'm archiving it in my PoseRay directory so the next time I need to use 3d Text I will have it right there for reference. 

elipsis1

Quote from: UponInfinity on September 20, 2012, 01:10:21 AM
Just reproduced your problem and got the same message.  What you need to do is ungroup the text object, then weld the characters into a single object, then perform the ngon operation as above.  I know that Hexagon can be extremely temperamental.  It can do what you want it to, it just needs a little patience.

1: Ungroup as such.
2: Weld new characters and perform ngon slice as above.  Your new mesh will be subdivided like so.
3: Import to Terragen and enjoy happy time.

Ok, yeah, I did see those triangles on the faces after fiddling a bit, before seeing this reply.

I did export one like that looked similar to your second image.

I will try it tomorrow, between writing music and making weird album covers, I am really beat haha.

Thanks, you all make this community a great place to be.

Mandrake

I trust that it is an ngon problem. I suggest you highlight all polys ngons on the text surface and do an extrude inner.
This will bring a row of quads in off the bevel in your text and the ngons will not be as much a problem, maybe.