Waiting...................

Started by cajomi, May 26, 2007, 03:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethren

Quote from: Will on May 26, 2007, 08:24:30 PM
I'm coming in a bit late to this disscusion but I would like to give my two cents. Yes the UI right now is not very user friendly but it has to be understood that Tereragen 2 is currently in its alpha state, this isn't even beta testing. We will get what we wnat in time to come it you would like an alternitive to terragen I recomend Vue. Its can't do planets and its not as powerful (in my opinion) but its much more user friendly and it might be what you are looking for.

Regards,

Will

Right! That i understand.       ;D     Using Vue 6, don't really like it. Crashes ALOT!, buggy overall, very slow outdated renderer, displacement is a serious memory hog, skies are not nearly as nice as Terragen 2s as we all know.  What i do like is the lights, object placement, eco-system painting, material nodes, plant-editor, camera navigation and the nice preview window in the right.

I still think TG2 is still more powerful then Vue 6 in terms of it's renderer, lighting, atmosphere, clouds, planet-based procedural terrains, good on memory instancing overall and nodal system.

For kicks i did something like a planet in Vue but what i did is raise the camera outside the sky dome out into space. Kind if a nifty effect but still not a planet.      ;D

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/656/entireplanet3rz2.jpg

DeathTwister

Hay all again,

All those posts above are awesome guys and yes yes we need all those features worked on, and I have my list as well, that is part of the fun of Beta/Alpha's we get to put our 2 cents in /smiles....Very good points made by Will, bvcastilho, Sethren, old_blaggard, ProjectX, Harvey Birdman, and peejay and reck.  You all have very right on thoughts on this all, well done my brothers and good ideas to get to Planetside I think, yes yes lots of thoughtful ideas in the wind.

Yep yep you guys are all right on the issues, I was just trying to say that the free preview is awesome and they are working on stuff asap.  My comments were more to Brother Cajomi (/hugs) and his frustration with his full version. hahah was not trying to get a shooting gallery going hahahahaha /winks.

QuoteYes, there are much to lot terragen users thinking like you. Far to simple for you to understand, that money can help developing, by given the developer more time. So buying can push the development cycles. Hope you are not one of those stupid people that think, the less something costs, the better and most best is for free.

Actually while I could buy the full version right now, by the time it is done I would rather buy it because as far as I know right now, the only feature a full version has over the free one is the animation area, or am I wrong about that?  I do plan to buy the full version when it is just about done.  In the mean time we all have allot to learn and every day is a great learning experience for me anyway, and I love it.  Hahaha hay brother Cajomi I have a IQ of over 200 so I am pretty sure I can figure this all out hahaha ROTFL /winks and gives Cajomi a huge hug..../smiles.  But this program ain't that simple as we all know hahahaha. Opps was not trying to tut horns, just wanted you to know none of us here are smart enough to understand.  You must have had a very bad week or something /smiles, have a drink or smoke a doobie and relax it is vacation time for a few days /smiles.

QuoteQuote
I am betting the reason why allot of people have gone back to TG is because they do not have the skills to really work with a very hi end piece of software as let me tell you guys, this TGD2 separates the men from the boys and girls as it were and we all know it.

It's the artists stupid, not the software that creates the great works of art.  Only those that cannot create will complain about everything about the tools they use, at least that is what I have found.  I hope none of you wonderful artist brothers fall into that category, as I am sure none of you do /winks.

May be you take a look at the galleries of the artists, who used terragen 0.9,  those who got 20 and more comments or ratings for every render the posted at rero. There you will see, what an artist is able to you with a small feature list but a good usability. And when you get around 20 comments average for an render, you can yourself count to the artists.

I Was joking about the Crack, "it's the artists stupid" part, I thought you would laugh at that, not get upset, looks like most people understood I was not trying to bash anyone, but make an old art quot about art in general was all.  Sorry if any misunderstood that faze.  as for how many people post on my stuff? maybe not 20 all the time but I get my share, and I have allot of friends, so I am good and I do win awards for my craft here and there I think like 12 awards for various software packages in the last 6 months or so, so no biggie and I was not trying to compete with you or anyone, I was just saying we all are doing OK in learning the software.

I just hate to see people bitch about something that is free and they are trying to share with us artists is all my brother.  Sorry you are having a bad experience with the full version Cajomi, maybe you should have done like the rest or most of us and are learning the free version while we wait for them to get all the goodies in the final version aye? /winks much better then getting upset I would think, don't you?

QuoteAfter looking at your images, I have got the impression, that you think, you know how to use
TG2.
Hahahaha no I never said that, in fact my last post of art I posted said I had been having trouble and found some tuts on fake rock shaders that has helped me allot actually so no I am not a master at tgd2 yet, but I will be one day soon, and I do not think one of us here are? do you?  As I said I am not trying to pump myself, but was just using examples of people doing OK with this.  Actually this I think is the first post I have seen when someone was bashing the tgd2 people for not having shit together, when in fact I think they are very together and support them in any way I can. We make our bug reports or want features and let it be, we find workarounds until they have it done, then relearn it if we have to, no biggie, welcome to bleeding edge alpha, and beta testing of software, I love it.  I use XSI, Blender, photoshop, Bryce, to Max, to L3DT, to many other programs I have learned over the years as well as work in the Ogre Engine and Garage games engines both TGE and TGEA, so while I do work on the cheep? I happen to be a poor disabled artist trying to get ahead in life by using tools one can afford when I can, just like the rest of us here I am betting. It is getting to where the good programs are free now for us artists, or very cheep, which I like, and why should good software be expensive anyway?

It must be nice to be able to go out and buy what ever you want or need brother, but not all of us can do that, and that does not make us stupid, or lame, just poor independents in art is all. Actually it makes us very smart to find tools we can afford that are as good as the hi end expensive ones that cost thousands of bucks, and video game engines that can cost a million per seat, so maybe you just bought tgd2 a bit early?  It will catch up to your needs soon, we hope by the end of the year, but for me? that is not so important as what they do do and how well they do make the product that gets my money in the end.

One last question Cajomi? I would like to see some of your awesome work as I am thinking we all would, as it sounds like your way better then any of us, so lets send us a link or 2 for us? to go check out some of your magical art work, I want to see it /smiles.... It must be awesome they way you are talking, OMG I can't wait to see your wonders /drools. I love learnin from people better then me, that is how I or anybody gets better at there craft, so anti up my man and show us your magic /smiles please.

DeathTwister
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

cajomi

Hi Deathtwister,

would it not be sensful to use your intelligence to get informations about me?
And how about getting adult?

QuoteAll those posts above are awesome guys and yes yes we need all those features worked on, and I have my list as well, that is part of the fun of Beta/Alpha's we get to put our 2 cents in /smiles....Very good points made by Will, bvcastilho, Sethren, old_blaggard, ProjectX, Harvey Birdman, and peejay and reck.  You all have very right on thoughts on this all, well done my brothers and good ideas to get to Planetside I think, yes yes lots of thoughtful ideas in the wind.
You should be careful when walking else you may slip.

Mostly we need no new features, but to get the actual features work and a GUI which allows a fast workflow.
Developer of GeoControl

Sethren

Additional features can always come later, personally i have no issues with this. I was just sharing my thoughts of what could be in the future but yes, the GUI and current feature fixes should come first of course before gobs of additional add-ons but rest assured we all know these things will be fixed and optimized for final release time but as to how well the work flow will be is purely guesswork at this point. So we shall see i suppose. I can't imagine Matt jipping us with a crap software. Honestly each developer has there own pace to which they write and fix software code, some are just faster then others as each circumstance is unique. I can't begin to understand software coding but i do know there are hiccups along the way and sometimes even breaks are needed from long nights of writing code.     ;D

I can say this for sure that the work flow could not be any worse then Blender. Some get it and others say "What the frack?".

Cyber-Angel

Um mm here we go...again

What we have here it seems to me is yet another charge of the "Lets bash good folks, while they are venerable" brigade which is starting to get real old real quick. To be honest I think that up to know Planetside have done a bang up job with putting together TG2, yes it needs refining but at least its accessible to the community now is that really such a bad thing?

Once again it seems to be the case that perceived inaction should be reason enough to scream loudly enough until it gets you what you want. Well this was seen in evidence last year at the end of January when our now beloved Tech Preview was delayed, and there was endless mouths on the Yahoo Terragen Group of general bitching, moaning people been told to shut up and so on which only ended with the release of the Tech Preview that was the beginning and end of the "First Great Terragen Flame War AKA the TG2TP Troll War" I really hope that this not the beginning of the next one?

Apparent Slowness between updates is a good thing in my book as it means that that developers are making those updates worth while and are not in a mad panic like some other larger software vendors seem to be.

TG2 is software not an intelligence test but more than that it is meant to be fun. TG2 is like fine food not some frozen stuff you have done in five minutes in the microwave oven; we may live in a world of fast paced instant gratification, but some things like TG2 do not work that way and require time, Patience and persistence in order to master there full potential.

Beget not the world of men, whose charms would beguile and draw you forth, A myriad ways to entice the soul and forget your responsibilities to your fellow men.
O torrid age of wow and strife of rushed meetings and not enough time,
Even to say good buy is often now a brief parting glance farewell, O how
Indignant we have become.

In our rushed lives when indeed did we last stand and stop to look,
at a rose covered by early morning dew, or at grass blown by the wind or many
of the simple things of life for the here and now just pass us by?

When last did you stop and talk a while to a fellow countrymen, or yet-
A stranger and some distant land afar?
I would say not often enough do we mind to care of the world around or within,
Not often enough do we share what's on our minds, lest it be for ill.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Will

Cajomi I'm going to bite the bullet and say it. Honestly since you have paid your money there isn't much more you can do to push the dev cycle. All we can have is faith also, like Oshyan said, this is going to be the big year for Planetside and if they miss there 2007 release date then they don't blaim you for leaving. I really wish I could give you a more pleasing awnser but I can't. All the advice I can give is to have faith the Planetside will come though.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

DeathTwister

Haha pretty much what Cyber-Angel and Will and Sethren said goes with me. /smiles...and I loved the poem Cyber, great touch and very well said.
DT
ATOMIX Productions

DeathTwister

Sorry all I just could not resist,

Hay Cajomi,

I went to Geo-Control website and found some of your art.  What I saw was pretty nice work, So I take it your on the team at Geo-Control?  Humm, I saw your stuff and it is nice I give you that, but I didn't see anything but landscapes and that was a bummer as I thought you were a master artist and created more then just landscapes for some reason, maybe it was the way you talked, I dunno, but when using Carrara I would have at least added a spaceship or 2 or some buildings you designed? something more then what I saw for all your wonderful input /winks, or do you know how to model? Hahaha (just kidding)  I would have thought you could at least do that the way you talk.

Anyway lots of my friends on that site so I am a bit surprised you giving tgd2 such a hard tome, or is it because you guys are in direct competition with Planetside and you trying to figure out what they are doing before you guys release Geo-Control 2?  I use L3DT myself and while I have Geo-Control, I prefer to use L3DT allot like my brother Monks does most times, but this is good info to have about you /winks.
  Any more links to some Art that has more then landscapes in it? what I saw was pretty skimpy to me.  I actually really would like to see more of your work besides what is at GC.  And I could not find any.  anyway nice Tg stuff that you did but I would like to see more of your real masterpieces if we may? you must have some really good stuff stashed somewhere /winks.  Just give us all a link and no games about finding you hahahahahahaha, or was that all you had? I find that hard to believe.

I also noticed that you had NO tgd2 stuff anyware that I could find, What up with that? just tg v09 and Carrara, which is nice, but............
Sure would like to see more of your work and I am sure we all would here on this post to see your craft, really /smiles.
  What other apps you work in? Max? XSI? LW? what? besides terra forming software and Carrara?

check out: http://designpaths.com  Melting Ice is a cool dude and great site if anyone has not been there yet.

Cajomi Links now
Cajomi Links now
Cajomi Links now
Cajomi Links now
show us your magic more my brother....

anyway other then checking out your other links (When I find them) I am done with this post I think /smiles and hope ya'll have a good memorial day if you live in the US, the rest? just have a hell of a good time /smiles......

DeathTwisters Alley
ATOMIX Productions

Buzzzzz

@ DeathTwister- You said: Actually while I could buy the full version right now, by the time it is done I would rather buy it because as far as I know right now, the only feature a full version has over the free one is the animation area, or am I wrong about that?

The Hundred Bucks I spent for the Deep Version got me, larger than 800x600 renders, more than 3 populations and the right to sell my creations for profit. But most importantly the full version and all updates when they become available.

Also want to add that it's hard to tell if one is getting proficient with TG2 at this time with all it's inconsistencies. Although it is fun to play with.  Death- would you please give us the Links to all your Awards as I would love to see them, Please.

@ cajomi- I agree, I would also like to see things move along a little faster, however "Impatience" is one of my many "Defects of Character".  ;) I mean, how much frustration do you expect for $100 or $200 bucks?  ;)

DeathTwister

Hay Buzzzzz,

Hay brother, how u know I have awards /smiles???/winks

OK for a few so far, I have awards on http://designpaths.com/
also have won some at: http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/ in the award section, that not to big a deal really other then image of the year last year.
Also I have been winning awards on http://eyefetch.com and my user name there is Maylock like my real name hahahaha. I think you have to register to get in but my last win of first place is let me see...
if I can find it easy...http://www.eyefetch.com/image.aspx?ID=286042 for my space station design "Good Hope" I created it in 3D max by the way.  Some of the art that I have been doing that been going into tgd2? was created in XSI SoftImage.  But I have won now 5 awards on eyefetch so find my main page at: http://www.eyefetch.com/profile.aspx?user=Maylock That is my main page there.  I am missing one or 2, but I win allot of awards and get lost sometimes trying to remember them all.  My company does though, so I normally do not worry about it /chuckles....

As for the buying the full version your right of course, just have not had the duckets to spend right now until we get our first virtual world out and on the internet in the next few weeks we hope.  But we are a 2 man team, so it can be slow at times, one programmer, one artist, wearing 10 hats a piece as you know it has to be that way if we are to get there.  And it would be nice to pump that anti-aliesing up some besides the painting sizes, but your right.  The point was more about having a calm attitude about it was more my thought, but I really am enjoying this FREE preview and it's OK ATM that I have the free version.  But I plan to buy it soon, just finishing other stuff that our company needs to buy first, like good Photogrametry software with a good SDK and so on.  Then I get my toys after my programmer gets his needs met on this next round of software buying /winks.  Hay thanks for the info by the way on all the extra goodies we get /smiles....No I did not know we get the extra populations also, KEWL /smiles....

And I do agree it would be nicer to get updates faster, but I have found that when you bitch or complain in this industry, it gets you no where but ire of other people for making cracks about software that is in Dev. hahahahahaha I think it is called bitting the hand that feeds you.

By the way good to see ya again my brother and how have you been these days?  haven't seen many posts by you latley so you must be doing great /winks

PS: Time to go get my first cup of Java, need it bad /yawns...

DeathTwister
ATOMIX Productions

Buzzzzz

Hay Buzzzzz, Back at Ya,

Hay brother, how u know I have awards /smiles???/winks Because I thought you said so in this Thread? Maybe I'm seeing things?

OK for a few so far, I have awards on http://designpaths.com/
also have won some at: http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/ in the award section, that not to big a deal really other then image of the year last year.
Also I have been winning awards on http://eyefetch.com and my user name there is Maylock like my real name hahahaha. I think you have to register to get in but my last win of first place is let me see...
if I can find it easy...http://www.eyefetch.com/image.aspx?ID=286042 for my space station design "Good Hope" I created it in 3D max by the way.  Some of the art that I have been doing that been going into tgd2? was created in XSI SoftImage.  But I have won now 5 awards on eyefetch so find my main page at: http://www.eyefetch.com/profile.aspx?user=Maylock That is my main page there.  I am missing one or 2, but I win allot of awards and get lost sometimes trying to remember them all.  My company does though, so I normally do not worry about it /chuckles....   Thanks for the Links, I really like the Space Station one.

As for the buying the full version your right of course, just have not had the duckets to spend right now until we get our first virtual world out and on the internet in the next few weeks we hope.  But we are a 2 man team, so it can be slow at times, one programmer, one artist, wearing 10 hats a piece as you know it has to be that way if we are to get there.  And it would be nice to pump that anti-aliesing up some besides the painting sizes, but your right.  The point was more about having a calm attitude about it was more my thought, but I really am enjoying this FREE preview and it's OK ATM that I have the free version.  But I plan to buy it soon, just finishing other stuff that our company needs to buy first, like good Photogrametry software with a good SDK and so on.  Then I get my toys after my programmer gets his needs met on this next round of software buying /winks.  Hay thanks for the info by the way on all the extra goodies we get /smiles....No I did not know we get the extra populations also, KEWL /smiles....No problem, thought it was common knowledge? Sounds like you are a busy, busy man with all you dabble in. Wish I had that much ambition.  ;)

And I do agree it would be nicer to get updates faster, but I have found that when you bitch or complain in this industry, it gets you no where but ire of other people for making cracks about software that is in Dev. hahahahahaha I think it is called bitting the hand that feeds you. I don't know if I would call it bitching or cracks? I do know if you want something you need to ask for it most times, because people aren't mind readers.

By the way good to see ya again my brother and how have you been these days?  haven't seen many posts by you latley so you must be doing great /winks  As happy as a Puppy with Seven Peckers!  :D  No I 'd don't post as much as I use to, however I do post at DA http://buzzzzz.deviantart.com/and my site http://buzzzzzart.com/ Probably won't impress you much for there's only nature landscapes and no Modeling really involved. Simply because I enjoy trying to recreate what God has created and not Man. Not a slam be any means, just my preference.

PS: Time to go get my first cup of Java, need it bad /yawns... On my 5th Cup here so no problem being AWAKE!  ;)

DeathTwister

DeathTwister

Hahahahahaha, /winks.

/smiles...
QuoteBecause I thought you said so in this Thread? Maybe I'm seeing things?
HAha I was just being funny bro /winks.  I guess it was to early for me to Joke hahaha, now I have 3 cups in me, I thinking a tast faster haha.

QuoteThanks for the Links, I really like the Space Station one.

Thank you very much brother. Yes I actually won first place for both Wayfarer and Good Hope Space stations in the same week, just different websites.  Kinda cool and it tells me alot of people want off planet these days hahaha.

QuoteNo problem, thought it was common knowledge? Sounds like you are a busy, busy man with all you dabble in. Wish I had that much ambition.

yes, but that means I miss stuff here and there at times and is hard to stay up on all the things one needs to do to keep pace with eryone else hahaha.  But as a Sag, and a multi-level thinker/creator I do have my fingures in many pies at once hahaha. I would have more posts on my art, if I had and took the time to go and coment more on other peoples art, which I have been trying to do as there are so many very good artists out there in the world right now, more artists then I think in Human history then has ever been before, but hay who cares about the artists aye? /smiles and laughs......

QuoteAs happy as a Puppy with Seven Peckers!  Cheesy  No I 'd don't post as much as I use to, however I do post at DA http://buzzzzz.deviantart.com/and my site http://buzzzzzart.com/ Probably won't impress you much for there's only nature landscapes and no Modeling really involved. Simply because I enjoy trying to recreate what God has created and not Man. Not a slam be any means, just my preference.

Haha last first none taken my brother /winks and bows....I didn't mean to imply that if you didn't model mesh that you are not one killer artist by any means. So no slam by any means to anyone here or anywhere else. /bows....

WOO HOO glad to see you doing good brother, was wondering what happened to you. I will go see ya there on deviant and I am there as well, but hardly go there as I am so busy most times, but I have gotten really into tgd2 and think it is the wave of the future in many ways for artists and mesh builders.

Long time ago I started off by being a 2D artist who won awards here in California, but then I got disabled with Back and ankle injuries and painting started to really hurt my back bigtime with the mussles you use with a brush, so I went 3D after I layed around feeling sorry for myself for over 3 years, and then I woke up, got into Max, and photoshop, I have and been jamming ever since /smiles.....I have a moto I use every day, it is simply, there is no I can't in the ATOMIX Dictionary, just anything but that, I do not want to, I have not learned yet, I am working on it, and so on, but no I can't ever again.  There is always a solution if you look hard enough I feel. /winks.

QuoteOn my 5th Cup here so no problem being AWAKE!
Ouch I can't drink that much, it will kill my Kidnies : (. 3 is more then I should drink, but dang do I love a freshly ground pot of Java /winks....Mmmm I smell it now hahaha.

OK have fun guys I have to do my "Universal life church of the Open Mind" Sermun at the Beach in the bit, so I am mountain biking there to give it and a walk in the forest with people after words, so you all have fun, and remember to be good to each other when posible...../smirks & /winks yup yup I am Rev. maylock locally here hahahaha.  Need to get married? come to Calif. I will give free ones if you play in 3D hahahaha, in the redwood forests.  Now that I have taken this post totally off topic I am getting off before someone shoots me ROTFL, hay all have a good one.

DeathTwister
ATOMIX Productions

cajomi

Hi Deathwister,

looks like you are a bit slow in understanding:
I do not post my critic to the TG2 developement as artist, but as developer. To get GeoControl fitting to the upcoming release of TG2, I need a usable version.
I code normally 10-12 hours a day, and so I have not much time to play around with TG2. But it would be really nice, to have a version, with the simplest features implemented for easy use. That is what I am missing and that means for me, that I will have to make an update, after TG2 was released.
At time I am developing the river and lake tool, and it would be nice to see the result in TG2, but this version is to time intensive.

As developer a good usability is for me a very important part of the software. So of course, GC is nothing for you, you can not say, your are a man, because you can use it. The results will only show if you are an landscape artists. That is the reason, why even my alphas are easy to use. Only if it is easy to use, the testers are really able to work with it, and so to get results, where it is clear to see, what must be improved. If one user says, it is not easy to use, his problem, but if it is at least nearly the half of the community that switch back to old version or simply stop producing anything, then a developer really should wake up.

It is pitty, that you use discussions about softeware, to push yourself in the foreground. And it looks, like you are wishing, that TG2 will stay bad usable, because you then can get the feeling, your are more than others, because you use it. It looks, like all your talking is not about the content but about yourself and how great you are. Hope, you will find some day enough selfconfidence to simply take part and say your opinion without provocations, without saying how great you are, or how great and small others are, without this hahas and with really interest.

I am sure, I am not the only one, who misses informations about the developement, updates of the tech preview (it must not be the final release) and improved usabiltiy. But guys like you make many of them keep quiet, mostly if they are not sure, whether it is their problem, because they are a bit stupid, or whether TG2 is really bad to use. And if they read this thread, they make think, that they are right not to say it here.
To say it now clear: TG2 is not so difficult to use, because of its unbelievable power, but because the developer Matt has not spend enough time in creating a good and understandable workflow. That is a real hard critic to a software. But the success of TG 0.9 was based on the ease of use in combination with the incredible realism of the renders.
Matt said, that the first tech preview will not be easy to use, because of the node interface. That is not correct. That are not the nodes, nodes can be very usable. The problem is another. The logic is to far away from any conventions, the naming is not clear. Some functions should be separated and optimized.
At all, as developer I would say, such improvements can be done in four weeks for the complete Gui (full time developer) and would make TG 2 usable for the greatest part of the community. And I am missing exact such an update.
Developer of GeoControl

EdBardet

I too have paid and am frustrated. The tech preview disappointed me in that the Sculpting tools available in the earlier versions are basically ignored. I don't use it for scenery, I want it for site specific topography. At this time I am still getting my non TG modeling done, but soon I will have to start on the TG work and if things continue, I'll just have to drop back to an earlier version. Some correspondense has assured me the sculpting tools will be better than earlier---------------------BUT
Knotian

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.