Forum names

Started by yossam, February 07, 2014, 01:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

German has its roots in the old germanian languages. There may be some latin influences, as well as french ones and a lot of english words during the last decades.
There are also a lot of similarities with english depending on the area. For example my grandma came from Northern Germany (near Bremen). When she was talking to her sister in their (heavy) dialect, I didn't understand a word at that time, but I remember they had some very english sounding words. They said "mother" for example instead of the german "Mutter" and they didn't say "er", but the english "he" but pronounced it like "hay".

Dune

Same with the Frisian, which is spoken in the northern area of the Netherlands, which sounds very much like English (cheese instead of kaas for cheese, e.g.). German is (gramatically) very different from Dutch by the way.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on February 13, 2014, 10:55:21 AM
... German is (gramatically) very different from Dutch by the way.

Interesting i thought always that they were very close.

TheBadger

QuoteFor example my grandma came from Northern Germany (near Bremen). When she was talking to her sister in their (heavy) dialect, I didn't understand a word at that time

Now see, this IS interesting!
Germany is quite large for a country in Europe. But I did not think that you still had so many cultural links to the past that even variations in dialect are surviving the modern age. It is surprising to hear for me, Hannes. But I admit I have some preconceived notions.

Here in Wisconsin we still have sects of people that mostly speak only german. They are not resent immigrants, they just hold on tightly to their heritage.

@Ulco and Tangled-Universe
Don't be offended. But I don't believe I have ever heard someone speak Dutch, in person. You two may be the only Dutch people I have met yet... Im not sure though.
I watched some Dutch independent cinema, but I was reading the subtitles so I did not have much chance just to listen to the language.

@KAdri,
Its funny, when I was in Turkey, no one spoke to me in Turk. I was there for 12 days, and not one person said a word to me in a native Turkic language. All I heard was English, Russian, and a number of European languages (French and German mostly). What do you think?
It has been eaten.

Kadri

We have many people who lived outside and can speak other languages especially German .
Our family was there too for example.
It depends where you traveled obviously.
In the touristic places like the south Turkey it is quite normal for example.

TheBadger

^^ I wanted to travel. But I did not have much cash, and I was a little nervous because I did not know anything about the country at the time, so I did not go too far form where I was staying.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Kadri

Now i remember we spoke about this earlier Michael and Side is one of the touristic places so i am not surprised :)

Dune

Kadri

I tried to write the same in Dutch Ulco but Google translate wasn't quite convincing to me.
Yeah Türkiye is beautiful :) as every other country is too like yours Ulco.
Putting "Dutch landscape" in Google image search makes me want to open Terragen and begin to have fun immediately for example :)

Dune

I didn't use google translate, but remembered from a 3 month trip I did in Turkey in 1981. And yes, there are beautiful spots here, but also a lot of people!

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on February 14, 2014, 06:31:08 AM
I didn't use google translate, but remembered from a 3 month trip I did in Turkey in 1981. And yes, there are beautiful spots here, but also a lot of people!

3 month is quite a nice time for a trip Ulco !
I plan to go 4-5 years later to Germany where i used to live
and maybe some other places in Europa , Netherlands too probably.

Dune

I was a student back then, and we travelled from Istanbul to Ankara and Trabzon, Mount Ararat, Van, along the southern coast, then Izmir, then back home. Supertrip! Met very nice people.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on February 14, 2014, 09:50:26 AM
I was a student back then, and we travelled from Istanbul to Ankara and Trabzon, Mount Ararat, Van, along the southern coast, then Izmir, then back home. Supertrip! Met very nice people.
That sounds nice.
You have traveled more then myself in our country Ulco.
I haven't got traveled further then Ankara.