Resolution mismatch

Started by N-drju, March 31, 2014, 01:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

No such luck Ulco. It does finish the render crop, cause I can tell what should be there and how, but then the 3d preview in the work space starts loading up (obviously, something TG is doing when not rendering. :P) It happens to me from time to time, only in very complicated renders. This is definitely memory-related issue and that is one hell of a render - eleven populations (7000 instances each on average), five individual DAZ models, four other models, lots of water, atmo at 32 samples and settings of det=0.722, AA=5. From what I glued together up to this point it is all definitely worth it!

@ Kadri - Yes. Right now I'm using buckets of 128 with auto-reduce option unchecked. Is not sequence/output option for animations only?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hannes

What if you pause the preview render before you hit render? It should not refresh then.

Kadri

Quote from: N-drju on April 01, 2014, 04:13:21 AM
...Is not sequence/output option for animations only?

You can give it a frame render range from 1 to 1 for example for only one frame.
Or with some intervals to check some animated options
to see if there is an interesting look.
It is not only for animation purpose.
You can make 360 degree moving sun scenes with different elevations
and render some images between to see which one will look better.
Or to get different clouds after you animate some parameters etc.

Hannes

Kadri, are you sure, that this option is available even without the animation module? Can't check it, since I have the full package.

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on April 01, 2014, 05:38:37 AM
Kadri, are you sure, that this option is available even without the animation module? Can't check it, since I have the full package.

Probably not.
I have the full animation package too.
On the first page he said he has the full version so not sure if he means the animation package or not.
Because of this i mentioned the Preferences options too Hannes.

jo

Hi N-drju,

How much RAM do you have in your machine? It would be interesting to know your machine specs. You never said what they were on that other thread you linked to.

11 populations with 7000 instances each is not very much. TG can handle way more than that. You could probably have 11 populations with millions of instances and it would still handle it fine.

I can't help but feel that something peculiar is happening for you. What you're describing sounds like it should be perfectly feasible. It would be good to know your machine specs.

Regards,

Jo

N-drju

Boy, I got TG2 as a present from my sister so long ago... We talked about how I'd like to get familiarized with computer art and that's how she purchased it for me. ??? What I know for sure is that I have some animation-related buttons with "Set animation key" options so that must be it. I never tried animation before and I doubt I ever will on my current computer with those darn memory issues plaguing me. It's version 2.4 for Windows.

You know where the problem might lie Jo? Get this - I got TG2 when I was still working on Windows but now I have Apple computer and have to run Windows through Bootcamp. Crazy, eh?
________

Basically, Bootcamp is an additional application that allows to install Windows system (hence, all Windows compatible software) to Mac on a separate drive. It is like taking some of the Mac OS system's resources and giving them at Windows disposal.

Jo, a kind request - could you please give me some accurate information on system requirements for Terragen 2 so I can make some comparisons and have a reference for future computer purchase? I can't find anything on the wiki much less on the Planetside page as TG3 dominated it. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Kadri

There was-is a Mac Terragen version too.
I think you can still download it but i am not sure.

jaf

Some requirement here: http://planetside.co.uk/products/download-tg3/file/tg3-w32?id=1

N-drju, it would help if you posted your computer specs.  Also, populations don't mean much since they can be large or small in size and the density (spacing) can also be large or small.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

jo

Hi N-drju,

I don't think running TG on Windows using Boot Camp should be a problem. I have Macs myself and use Boot Camp to boot into Windows for TG development and playing games. I don't think I've ever had any problems because Windows was running via Boot Camp. When you use Boot Camp your computer basically thinks it's a PC. All your system resources get turned over to Windows. Boot Camp is the really the best way to run Windows on a Mac.

If you're using TG 2.4 I would recommend updating to 2.5. It's a free upgrade. Send an email to support@planetside.co.uk to find out where you can download it from. You can also start using the Mac version if you like. The key file which is used for registered versions of TG can be used on Mac or Windows, so you don't have to use TG on Windows.

If your computer is 64 bit I would strongly recommend that you use the 64 bit version of TG.

The system requirements for TG2 are pretty basic - Windows XP or newer, OS X 10.4 or newer for the Mac. 2 GB RAM. I would say pretty much any computer you could buy would meet the minimum requirements. However we suggest a 64 bit CPU, as fast as you can afford with as much RAM as you can afford. I would say 8 GB RAM would be the minimum I'd want. The graphics card is not too important.

Anyway, please let us know your system specs as it may mean we can help to address the problems you're having. It doesn't matter if you're using Boot Camp, the system specs will apply equally to OS X or Windows.

Regards,

Jo

N-drju

@ jaf - I specifically requested for Terragen 2 sysreqs. TG3 requirements are of no use to me currently unless they are just the same which are not I think...

@ jo - Thank you for all this information! That's a lot of food for thoughts. So you say it's perfectly fine to upgrade the Mac version of TG2 (I have a demo working there) with the key file used for Windows version? Hm... I can't really imagine how... ??? Do I just copy that file into the TG folder or what?

As far as population numbers are concerned, are you sure that we are speaking of regular home computers and not those on space stations? ;) Millions of instances x 15? What kind of system could handle that? My system specs are:

Processor - 3.2Ghz Intel Core i3 (4 cores)
Memory - 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3
Operating system - Windows XP Professional 32-bit (through Bootcamp)

Okay, now listen well guys...

As a last resort I tried a very unorthodox solution which was rendering my image through Windows being the only system, on our old computer with... only one processor core and 1/4 of my current RAM!

It really raised my eyebrows when I saw that rendering much bigger crops on that computer worked okay and did not bring any errors at all! :o Except for just a few when I tried to render whole image at once. Sure, populating objects and loading the .tgd file itself takes a little bit longer (read carefully - a little) but render is building up nicely, if slower. No crashes, save button appears. That poor, oldie lap-top doesn't render at some mind-boggling speed but it seems it is the best solution yet. Well then... Stay tuned for the final render!

Meanwhile, the research continues... :D

Hannes

So you're running Windows XP 32bit via Bootcamp. I don't know if this makes sense, but on a PC a 32bit OS can use only 2GB of RAM unless you use some software trick (which I forgot the name of) to use 3GB. Is this the case on a Mac as well, when you use a 32bit system?

N-drju

Not sure what you mean Hannes... It is possible to trick the system into giving more RAM for Terragen to use? Is that what you say?

Hannes

What I mean is that a 32bit system on a PC can only use 2GB of RAM max., unless you use this trick:
http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2009/04/enabling-3gb-switch-on-windows-vista.html
Like that you can use 3GB (I never tried that before I had a 64bit system).
But since you are using a Mac with a virtual Windows system, I don't know if this is relevant. Just a thought.

jo

Hi N-drju,

Quote from: N-drju on April 02, 2014, 02:39:04 AM
@ jo - Thank you for all this information! That's a lot of food for thoughts. So you say it's perfectly fine to upgrade the Mac version of TG2 (I have a demo working there) with the key file used for Windows version? Hm... I can't really imagine how... ??? Do I just copy that file into the TG folder or what?

Yes, exactly. That's all you need to do. Take the key file from Windows and put it in the same folder as the Mac TG application. You will need to download the right Mac version but if you send an email to registrations@planetside.co.uk Oshyan should be able to sort that out for you.

QuoteAs far as population numbers are concerned, are you sure that we are speaking of regular home computers and not those on space stations? ;) Millions of instances x 15? What kind of system could handle that?

Many systems. Check this out:

http://planetside.co.uk/component/content/article/7-news/2-23-released

There are 207,360,000 instances in that first image. This was rendered on my Mac Pro which at the time was a pretty serious system, but you can see that TG can easily manage it. Your system could do it too, with a 64 bit OS and a bit more RAM.

My system specs are:

Processor - 3.2Ghz Intel Core i3 (4 cores)
Memory - 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3
Operating system - Windows XP Professional 32-bit (through Bootcamp)

Ok, this is good information. For one thing, your CPU is a 64 bit CPU. This means you can run TG in 64 bit mode if you have a 64 bit OS. We strongly recommend running TG on a 64 bit OS. If you change over to using the Mac version of TG and you have at least OS X 10.5 (I would recommend at least OS X 10.6) then you can run TG Mac in 64 bit mode. This would be much cheaper (i.e. free!) than buying a 64 bit version of Windows.

You are almost certainly having problems with rendering because you are using XP 32 bit and TG is running out of RAM. You can improve things by enabling the 3GB switch in the OS. This makes it possible for TG to access 3 GB of RAM instead of only 2 GB. There are instructions for turning on the 3GB switch here:

http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2009/04/enabling-3gb-switch-on-windows-vista.html

I can't be responsible for the content of that site but it looks like pretty good information.

However I would strongly recommend that you try TG Mac and use it in 64 bit mode. This will mean TG will be able to use all your 4GB of RAM. In fact it will be able to use more than that but it will mean the OS starts to use virtual memory and it will slow down a lot. You will get far fewer problems due to TG running out of RAM though.

If you can manage it, and your Mac allows you to do it, I would suggest getting some more RAM. I don't think it's terribly expensive at the moment and if you could manage to get up to 8 GB or more then that would make things much easier with complex TG scenes.

Regards,

Jo