Parkwood

Started by Dune, February 03, 2014, 04:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

800mb? A full HD movie is about 4-5 GB or so. Is this a question of compression technology or what?
What I mean is, if your video was 2-3 hours, it would be much larger than the hobbit. Can someone explain that to me please.
It has been eaten.

inkydigit

woah!
lekker!
...the cyclist needs a bell!
this is Really Amazing Ulco (and Dorian)
is that a Snipe at the end?
the bleating sound... 'drumming of the snipe' or sky goat, goat of the air or even baby goat... etc in Gaelic...
I hear it here in Ireland... really spooky on dark evenings in the middle of nowhere!
:)
J

Dune

It's a quicktime movie, don't know how compressed, but 799.000kB for sure. 1700x1100px or so.

And yes, it's a snipe (fantastic sound, rare here I'm afraid). They wanted some bird sounds in it, even some species that I knew didn't exist there, like common rosefinch and northern nightingale (instead of the 'normal' nightingale. I 'complained' about that, but they said it was a 'joke' for birders, and just to get them sharp. Most people wouldn't notice it anyway. I put in about 7 species or so.
The snipe is a nice finale.

oldm4n

your job (you and Dorian) is very impressed.
there are lot of details which make real things. 

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on April 16, 2014, 05:15:45 PM
800mb? A full HD movie is about 4-5 GB or so. Is this a question of compression technology or what?
What I mean is, if your video was 2-3 hours, it would be much larger than the hobbit. Can someone explain that to me please.

A full HD movie can be so small as the encoder is capable and the values you used
or as big as the uncompressed image format you used for the individual frames Michael.
In that aspect there is no thing as "A full HD movie is about 4-5 GB or so.".
It can be 1 GB or less compressed or as in a Blu-ray disk 25 GB (still compressed) or much more.
Look here for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncompressed_video
look at the  "Storage and Data Rates for Uncompressed Video" especially.
You will be surprised how big they can get Michael.

If you begin to work with feature movie length videos
you have to use loss less compressed image formats anyway
depending on your storage capacity or even for much shorter videos.
Some of our friends here work in that kind of environment.
They could say more from first hand experience.

800 mb is so or so a very small amount compressed or not.

By the way if you download(!) HD movies in the size of 4-5 GB i think you forget what HD is about.
You loose detail. And yeah with a good big TV you can see the difference.
-Not always and it depends on many other things.So you can be fooled of course-
But yes not everybody does have a big tv and is so obsessed with that kind of image detail
so from some point further it is -kinda- subjective.
Sometimes a good encoded quality 720p video can fool you.
It depends on from how far you watch and the size of your TV (and the kind of movie,fast motions or cartoon etc).
We have a 65" Plasma TV so we get more picky .
If you still wanted in any case a (subjective) number from me
i would say a good encoded standard HD movie around 8-10 GB would be good (minimum) to watch to me.
This is another of those things you have to read more to know because there are many things to consider.
Just a random page but it may help to see many aspects :
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1358548
My wife didn't know and doesn't cared about those kind of things in the past for example.
Now she can see that a video doesn't have high detail as it should be and is much more aware of such things.