Stone Age

Started by Dune, July 04, 2014, 10:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks guys. I though PS would do the darkening of shadows easily, but I just wonder why the shadow inside something solid isn't just dark, but the same as outside behind the tepee. I'll try your suggestions, UI.

They had this sort of tents in Europe too, they told me. How they'd know, I'm not sure  ;)

choronr

Thanks Ulco. Maybe the design of the teepee carried across the land bridge to Alaska and on to the Americas.

Upon Infinity

Terragen doesn't handle GI very well when working with small objects.  You can see my experiments here for more reference:  http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17433.msg169118.html

mhaze

This is wonderful work again! I love its historical authenticity and attention to detail.

Oshyan

Are you using GISD? Are you using GI at all, or fill lights perhaps? If fill lights, are all set to cast shadows?

- Oshyan

Dune

GISD is set to 2! Default GI settings.

Tangled-Universe

I think you need to increase the cache detail to allow the renderer to pick up the difference between the shadow inside and outside the tent.
If there are too few GI "sample points" created then it will blur the GI result of quite a big screen space region.
So if you have more of these sample points the renderer will be more likely to accurately render the different shadows and the respective indirect lighting of those.
Default cache detail of 2 is quite low anyway and with GISD @ 2 you might even exaggerate the issue.

Another thing I noticed in 1 tent is that there's light creeping in, but that could well be because the tent does have gaps modelled in, can't really see :)
My guess, knowing you, is that it's all correctly sitting in the ground etc.

Dune

Well, the tents have poles and skin, but the skin is hard to 'fold onto the ground'. So I have to fiddle, that's why I made rings of soil around the tent to cover the lower base. And each tent has an opening, though I think of adding an extra flap to use opaque or not, for diversity. But in fact it's all so much work for something I can easily adjust in PS.
What I did find is that DAZ figures can be used. Just yesterday I installed it, had to find my way around it, but hope to be able to produce some decent looking people for the postures and shadows at least. They're terribly 'over the top' on the whole, but the posing works nicely. 

bobbystahr

been playin around with the DAZ free folks as well and they do well in TG2_3...the secret is in painting your own costumes and right away you'll stand out cuz with most users the buy from the store/use freebies and a sameness happens. A good way is to dl freebies as they often have template for specific costumes which can be adapted with a creative mind like yours.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I struggled a bit in the beginning, but I now got a reasonable workflow to make some Stone Age tgo's for TG. Pose and clothe someone in DAZ, export as obj, check in Poseray, resize, reduce in Meshlab, reassign textures in Poseray and import in TG. Opening another thus made object in LW, and made a bow and arrow, took through Poseray to convert lwo into obj again. I'll dive into making clothing as well....
And the client wants a warm summer's day, so I get rid of the misty sunrise.

mhaze

You can also import .obj you've made into poser and use hem to help pose person then export the lot as a group.  Not sure about .lwo objects though

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 10, 2014, 02:36:39 AM
I struggled a bit in the beginning, but I now got a reasonable workflow to make some Stone Age tgo's for TG. Pose and clothe someone in DAZ, export as obj, check in Poseray, resize, reduce in Meshlab, reassign textures in Poseray and import in TG. Opening another thus made object in LW, and made a bow and arrow, took through Poseray to convert lwo into obj again. I'll dive into making clothing as well....
And the client wants a warm summer's day, so I get rid of the misty sunrise.

What's up with reducing in meshlab step...what are you reducing Ulco?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

The objects from DAZ are about 20-30MB, and I don't need them that heavy (they'll be quite distant). But it's quite a hassle to reduce, so I might keep them big anyway.

oldm4n

very nice image, as always :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 11, 2014, 03:27:46 AM
The objects from DAZ are about 20-30MB, and I don't need them that heavy (they'll be quite distant). But it's quite a hassle to reduce, so I might keep them big anyway.

I get ya...had the same feeling with them but as I've been only using them largely for visual scale reference there is often only one in a scene so not too heavy for TG2-3
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New