fakestones or populations ?

Started by wolle, September 07, 2014, 04:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 14, 2014, 07:57:35 AMIn the Free Preset Package there is a "procedural grass" that is made from Fake Stones you should look into Pablo

I downloaded it. These will take a while to mentally process. Thanks.

bobbystahr

I downloaded it. These will take a while to mentally process. Thanks.

NP...most of the adjustments are most easily accessible in the File View I found. Unless you are way more comfortable in the Node View of course.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Raj

If I understood the problem correctly, here is the solution:

1. Generate your fake stone
2. Disable Planet/terrain etc, (and clouds/atmosphere etc. that slows the render)
3. Export the terrain using micro exporter - this generates a .obj of only your fake stone (no .mtl file is generated)
4. import your .obj fake stone as a population and add surface color

The reason the above works is because objects get included in the terrain exporter for Terragen3 and if the terrain/planet is disabled, the micro exporter only sees the object.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Raj on September 18, 2014, 02:38:20 PM
If I understood the problem correctly, here is the solution:

1. Generate your fake stone
2. Disable Planet/terrain etc, (and clouds/atmosphere etc. that slows the render)
3. Export the terrain using micro exporter - this generates a .obj of only your fake stone (no .mtl file is generated)
4. import your .obj fake stone as a population and add surface color

The reason the above works is because objects get included in the terrain exporter for Terragen3 and if the terrain/planet is disabled, the micro exporter only sees the object.

Uh...what planet will the fake stone then generate from Raj...he's talking fake stones not the rock object.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Raj

Bobby,
My understanding is that Wolle is actually trying to export a displaceable object:

Wolle: "[My question is this: How can I populate self edited Stones (i.e spheres,cubes etc with PF as surface shader)?"

You're right that this is not synonymous with a fake stone (my error in definition) but Wolle clarifies what he wishes to do again:

Wolle "In TG I load a displaceable object (sphere, cube etc), add object/displaceable/sphere. Now, this object is transformrd into a decent Stone (PF3, 2 colours) see attached Picture."

Will the method I described not achieve the above intention?  i.e. create a stone via displaceable object, export and reimport as population, stick on a surface shader and the deal is done.  I am very new to Terragen so apologies if I'm completely wrong.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Raj on September 18, 2014, 06:19:54 PM
Bobby,
My understanding is that Wolle is actually trying to export a displaceable object:

Wolle: "[My question is this: How can I populate self edited Stones (i.e spheres,cubes etc with PF as surface shader)?"

You're right that this is not synonymous with a fake stone (my error in definition) but Wolle clarifies what he wishes to do again:

Wolle "In TG I load a displaceable object (sphere, cube etc), add object/displaceable/sphere. Now, this object is transformrd into a decent Stone (PF3, 2 colours) see attached Picture."

Will the method I described not achieve the above intention?  i.e. create a stone via displaceable object, export and reimport as population, stick on a surface shader and the deal is done.  I am very new to Terragen so apologies if I'm completely wrong.

D'oh, my error on your error, heh heh heh....I don't think the Displaceable Objects are exportable in any fashion....gotta be a thread here where I read that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Raj

Sorry to respectfully disagree Bobby but the displaceable objects are definitely exportable as I've done it through the micro exporter.  As I said above, if one disables the planet you get the object by itself, otherwise the object is exported as part of the terrain-  It's a great feature for exporting large rocks with power fractal details.  It's not discussed in the forums much but it definitely is a feature of Terragen 3.

Best

R.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Raj on September 18, 2014, 08:59:29 PM
Sorry to respectfully disagree Bobby but the displaceable objects are definitely exportable as I've done it through the micro exporter.  As I said above, if one disables the planet you get the object by itself, otherwise the object is exported as part of the terrain-  It's a great feature for exporting large rocks with power fractal details.  It's not discussed in the forums much but it definitely is a feature of Terragen 3.

Best

R.

Well Damn, I'd heard/read/imagined that they weren't...gonna have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip. Maybe what I heard was you couldn't populate them and transposed that into couldn't export...I have an odd 65 yr old brain....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

What you're probably thinking of Bobby is that you can't just use the regular Export/Save function of an object to save a displaceable object. But you *can* use the Micro Exporter (with some limitations) since it is just exporting the geometry that the renderer creates normally.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on September 18, 2014, 09:29:32 PM
What you're probably thinking of Bobby is that you can't just use the regular Export/Save function of an object to save a displaceable object. But you *can* use the Micro Exporter (with some limitations) since it is just exporting the geometry that the renderer creates normally.

- Oshyan

That's the very thing Oshyan...thanks...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

I'm guessing that ( haven't checked the comparison yet)  the Free version doesn't support the Micro Exporter...guess that's why I didn't grok that. At last having finished a render tying up my TG and testing this feature out I can't locate one in the Sequence/Output tab.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on September 21, 2014, 09:53:58 PM
Correct. There is a full feature comparison here: http://planetside.co.uk/products/tg3-product-comparison

- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan, I was just being lazy...went there and read up on it...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New