NWDA 2014-2015 Theme Challenge "Iceland" (UPDATE *v2)

Started by DannyG, October 26, 2014, 04:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

Everyone,
  New World Digital Art is pleased to announce the kick off of our 2014-2015 Theme Challenge "Iceland" Starting right NOW!

CONTEST GUIDELINES:
•   Contestants are to re-create a region of Iceland of their choosing with the highest level of Photo-realism as their goal.
•   Open to all versions of Terragen 2 and 3, Free or Registered. Scene assets such as Terrains & misc modeled props created in 3rd party applications are permitted, however the final render must be rendered within Terragen. 
•   1 entry per contestant
•   Image Size – .6 Min – 2MB Max
•   Terragen's DOF is permitted. Rendering Terragen layers and composing in a 3rd party applications is also permitted.
•   Contestants must submit judged entry with raw Terragen output image (Composed layers into single image, Pre-Postwork).
•   Approved Post work – Sharpening, color/level adjustments, resizing and another subtle techniques that simulate 'typical' lens effects. NWDA will reject any image that is deemed overly 'enhanced' by Photoshop or other image editors.
•   Non Approved Postwork – Replacing and or adding any element via Photoshop or any image editor. All elements must be rendered within Terragen.
•   NWDA reserves the right to reject any entries that do not conform to the above guidelines or images that are deemed 'incomplete' by NWDA.
•   Submitted entries must be submitted by the below date and time and include Image title, Artist name, (Forum or Real name) email & judged entry with raw Terragen output image (ex. Composed layers into single image, Pre-Postwork).

CONTEST JUDGES:
•   NEW WORLD DIGITAL ART Partners
•   Matt Fairclough, Creator of Terragen, VFX Artist (Sucker Punch, Transformers Revenge of The Fallen, Star Trek:Nemesis, Oblivion). 
•   Greg Teegarden, Supervisor of VFX Digital Domain (Oblivion, X-Men First Class, TRON Legacy, The Fifth Element)
•   Chris Harvey, Supervisor of VFX Prime Focus & Image Engine (WATCHMEN, X-Men The Last Stand, Fast & Furious 6, Battleship, ZERO DARK THIRTY, GI-JOE)
•   Alex Jevon, VFX Artist Lola Lost Productions, Illumina Digital (The Bible, Atlantis:End Of The World, Birth Of A Legend Earth's Extraordinary Journey)

Reference Imagery https://www.pinterest.com/NWDAstore/iceland/

Contest Begins October 26th 2014 ending February 14th 2015 23:59 EST US

Submit entries to http://nwdastore.com/theme-challenge/

Awards totaling over $5500 USD
•   1st Place:
XFrogs Plants Vol 1 & 2. tgo Format 2900 plants
Planetside Software's Terragen 3 Professional With Animation
WorldCreator Indie Bundle
bitethebytes ShaderTool
World Machine 2 Professional
Quadspinner's Geoplyph – A professional suite of 51 Custom Macros for World Machine (Single Node,Free Upgrades)
Silva3D – Mega Bundle Vol.1
Silva3D – Balcony Plants Vol.1
Silva3D – Garden Flowers Vol.1
Silva3D – Boxwood Bundle Vol.1
3d Art Direct – Interview "The Making Of"
3d Art Direct – 1 Year "Back Issue Access"
Plug N' Pixels – Interview
Rendering of animated winning scene file on Pixel Plow's advanced render farm !

•   2nd Place:
Planetside Software's Terragen 3 Creative With Animation
Quadspinner's Geoplyph – A professional suite of 51 Custom Macros for World Machine (Single Node,Free Upgrades)
WorldCreator Indie license
bitethebytes ShaderTool
Silva3D – Mega Bundle Vol.1 (or pick 4 from either Archive Grasses,
Balcony, Wildflower, Garden Flowers, Boxwood or Shrubs)
3d Art Direct – Interview "The Making Of"

•   3rd Place:
Planetside Software's Terragen 3 Creative
WorldCreator Indie license
bitethebytes ShaderTool
Silva3D – Choice (pick 2 from either Archive Grasses, Balcony,
Wildflower, Garden Flowers, Boxwood or Shrubs)
3d Art Direct Interview "The Making Of"

•   Honorable Mention:
Silva3D – Choice (pick 1 from either Archive Grasses, Balcony,
Wildflower, Garden Flowers, Boxwood or Shrubs)
New World Digital Art - $50 Coupon to our shop.

**As with Roadside it is strongly recommended that you create a Work In Progress Thread here in Planetside forums ** http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/board,23.0.html**

Good Luck !!
NEW WORLD DIGITAL ART
[attachimg=1]
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

TheBadger

This is great!

Iceland. GREAT pick! There is no one who could not be inspired by this country. Every inch of it is a dream scape  8)

Quotethe highest level of Photo-realism as their goal.
Please tell me. Do you simply mean that the render should look like a photo, or that the render must look like a specific and real location that could be compared to a reference photo? For example, my initial thought is that I would like to create a scene that very well could be in Iceland, but would be more fantasy than real, however photo real.

Want to try in this contest. And who knows, I may even finish something this time  ;D

P.S.
Great prizes!
It has been eaten.

DannyG

Quotethe highest level of Photo-realism as their goal.
QuotePlease tell me. Do you simply mean that the render should look like a photo, or that the render must look like a specific and real location that could be compared to a reference photo? For example, my initial thought is that I would like to create a scene that very well could be in Iceland, but would be more fantasy than real, however photo real.

Want to try in this contest. And who knows, I may even finish something this time  ;D

P.S.
Great prizes!

Hey Badger,
  It most certainly can be fantasy, or what ever genre you dream up, the idea as was with Roadside  .. Photo-Real is the goal, even if its somewhat fictitious or fantasy. It should look like a real place. Again it doesn't need to replicate a specific place in Iceland, it merely needs to convey the Iceland theme/mood and look real while doing it ;)
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

zaxxon

Wow! Iceland. Congratulations Danny on rounding up such a wonderful group of sponsors! Even Quadspinner! This one should be fiercely competitive. Looking forward to watching the entries develop.

Dune

Good luck to you all, guys and girls! I'm very curious what you'll come up with and who's going to be the winner(s)... get to work! I can't compete I'm afraid  :(

alessandro

www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

DannyG

Quote from: alessandro on October 27, 2014, 11:42:09 AM
Can TG beta testers compete?

Yes, however you must use a released version of TG for your entry. No beta functionality is permitted for obvious reasons.
NWDA Partners, TU, F.B., Dune, NVseal, Seth, Walli, RAcher & myself are excluded from the voting portion of this contest. Our involvement will be restricted to Work in Progress threads. Contest is open to anyone else
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

choronr

Looking forward to getting into this. There are oodles of inspirations on the web ...hard to make a choice as to what direction to begin. Great choice Danny!

alessandro

Quote from: Danny on October 27, 2014, 12:08:46 PM
Quote from: alessandro on October 27, 2014, 11:42:09 AM
Can TG beta testers compete?

Yes, however you must use a released version of TG for your entry. No beta functionality is permitted for obvious reasons.
NWDA Partners, TU, F.B., Dune, NVseal, Seth, Walli, RAcher & myself are excluded from the voting portion of this contest. Our involvement will be restricted to Work And Progress threads. Contest is open to anyone else
Danny

Thanks for the clarification.
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

Urantia Jerry

Greetings from Las Vegas Nevada!  I have never entered a contest like this one before ;D , and therefore I am a bit confused.

Am I to understand that the final submission must be between .6 Min – 2.5K Max?  This seems to be a tad small to me!

Is this to be the final rendered size from within Terragen, or can it be later "Re-sized" using another program?  Or even Zipped?

I would like to follow the procedures, and would like to thank anyone for any kind replies. - (Most Appreciated)  Thank you - Jerry

DannyG

Quote from: Urantia Jerry on October 27, 2014, 02:41:38 PM
Am I to understand that the final submission must be between .6 Min – 2.5K Max?  This seems to be a tad small to me!
Is this to be the final rendered size from within Terragen, or can it be later "Re-sized" using another program?  Or even Zipped?

I would like to follow the procedures, and would like to thank anyone for any kind replies. - (Most Appreciated)  Thank you - Jerry

Hey Jerry,
The size restriction is in place to even the playing field if you will for our Free Version contestants. (Free version max res 1280X900) As mentioned above resizing is allowed so feel free to render whatever size you would like. Image size and ratio is up to you, but no files over 2MB. This is also in place to keep our free version users as well as people with slower hardware in the running. If you are new here we strongly recommended starting a work in progress thread in the image gallery. This as proved to be very beneficial in past contests. Welcome aboard
Danny 

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

bla bla 2

Oshyan

Fantastic contest, very glad to be a part of this! We'll setup a dedicated contest Work-In-Progress discussion area soon.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

!yeah!
Watching the wips was really a lot of fun last time  8)
It has been eaten.