Railtrack

Started by Dune, January 25, 2015, 03:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Here is the easiest way I can think of.
[attach=1]
Let me know if you need something more complicated. ;)

Kadri

I really don't know what you want to achieve Ulco. This is with different subd settings that you already know.

Kadri

J meyer Ulco tries to use a camera projection.With UV it is already easier.

j meyer

Kadri - Ulco said:
QuoteAnd, no projection isn't necessary, but it just turned out that way. A UV based plane may work better indeed. I'll revisit the file anyway, because I want the stones higher, but that's a bit hard with the track setup (smoothing can't be applied).

And the card object is UVed it's meant for billboards etc after all. :)

Kadri

Yes i know but he was still playing with a camera projection method until the last post. Anyway :)

j meyer

Ok,no problem.At least he can choose between different setups now.

Kadri

I just changed the Mix to A values in the merge node and one last image with a different gamma conversion number in the image map shader settings.
This is with your last file without the surface layer attached.
You might be after a different look maybe i don't know for sure.

Dune

You're terrific, guys! I have to admit I didn't realize the card was UV'ed. How shortsighted of me  >:( And yes the render subdiv settings make the difference, and cause the haze. I wonder if it takes much longer (in water it does considerably, but then again, this just a flat screen), which I was afraid of and thus didn't want to apply. Happens when I do things in a matter of fact way  ;)

Anyway, you earn my gratitude! For this version I left the smoke out, but I'll do a crop and put it in again. This took almost 4 hrs, due to RT reflection on the loc.

choronr

Nothing is impossible when all good heads get together. Also like your array of various weed/flowers on either side of the tracks.

Matt

Ulco, the black areas in one of your renders are because you're using a broken version. You need to update to this version:

Build 3.2.03.0 (release)

Fixed a problem with the Reflective Shader and reflectivity in the Default Shader whenever we see a surface from the reverse side. This can happen with many objects, so we recommend that you get this update. The bug was introduced in 3.2.02.0. If you load a file that was saved in 3.2.02.0 you might see a warning about a missing parameter "double-sided surface" in the Reflective Shader, but the warning is harmless.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

I don't know if that is the case, Matt, but I'll check it out. Might have picked the wrong shortcut to open the file. Thanks.

I might have this wrong, but in order to get the (non RayTraced) background in all detail through a glass sheet, you need to up Render Subdivision settings to 1, even if there's no reflection and refraction is 1. Am I correct? And would it be interesting to have it so that you needn't alter subdiv if using these glass settings? Not a lot of users will know how to. 
I did a small experiment, but then the render took twice as long (crop, so it may probably be negligible on a completer render if the sheet isn't very big). So I added a default shader for opacity of the most part of that sheet, and that works pretty good, if the cloud isn't too dark.

Matt

Quote from: Dune on January 29, 2015, 02:47:11 AM
I don't know if that is the case, Matt, but I'll check it out. Might have picked the wrong shortcut to open the file. Thanks.

You can check what version a project was saved from by looking at Project Settings (the button at the bottom left of the window).

I might have this wrong, but in order to get the (non RayTraced) background in all detail through a glass sheet, you need to up Render Subdivision settings to 1, even if there's no reflection and refraction is 1. Am I correct?

Yes, that's how it works at the moment.

And would it be interesting to have it so that you needn't alter subdiv if using these glass settings? Not a lot of users will know how to. 
I did a small experiment, but then the render took twice as long (crop, so it may probably be negligible on a completer render if the sheet isn't very big). So I added a default shader for opacity of the most part of that sheet, and that works pretty good, if the cloud isn't too dark.

Yeah, theoretically I should be able to bypass the ray trace in certain situations like this, and have the shader either look up the background or automatically set the opacity to 0. But with so many different rendering flags affecting atmosphere, object visible etc. it could become complex to implement, so I'm not sure.

Matt

Dune

Thanks, Matt. I was just about to ask whether that could be implemented for some 'real transparency', but you edited just as I was typing.
I'm still having issues with the card and the slight haze (mask is really black, subdiv =1), so I'll keep on testing.
By the way, it was 3.2.03.0.

Matt

opacity-glass-smoke-experiment.tgd says it was saved in .02, so I think that explains the weird black areas. I posted about that before I saw your later files, which show that you've updated to .03.

About the slight haziness, are you using a Surface Layer for the smoke? I wonder if the problem is caused by "mask as coverage"; try turning that off. Alternatively, maybe you can just use an Image Map Shader with built-in alpha masking, via the new "Use alpha/transparency for direct blending" parameter.

Matt

Dune

I have just done precisely that (without reading your post), but I'm still puzzled. Look at these files; render subdiv is at 1. The top second image is with the simple merge setup, so doublesided glass + UV-defaultshader, merged (1) by screening default.

The black background came from using an imported plane object, but I replicated it in the latest version as well.