My weekend home

Started by DocCharly65, May 07, 2015, 12:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Nice night view of the pool. All improvements are just that..well done.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

inkydigit

I love this series, great progression, and inspirational too!
Cheers
Jason
:)

Dune

Another great update.  I like the DOF as well, but it will take render time. Very nice light on the pool as well, very realistic.

DocCharly65

Thank you very much, guys. First week of my summer holidays is over now and I'm happy of some little progress  :)

In fact the DOF is a special problem. In some experiments I had to delete the window glasses. I tried hundreds of settings and could not get a sharp background with blurred window frame with the camera close to the window with the banana plant.  I just programmed an animation with changing nothing but the focus distance and aperture. I only got completely blurred pictures or completely sharp pictures. I don't understand why the DoF works from the distance.

When I took away the windows glass I had success immediately. All variations of DoF worked perfectly! Anyway for my plan it also works without the glass because I can dispense with the reflection.

Additionally you perhaps can see that the night scene is without DoF. I left it away to optimize rendertime, because the two additional under water lights increase the rendertime anyway  ;).

The night scene is already rendering in an animation. (frame 82 of 375 within 33 hours is a good progress)
So far it looks good... I saw even the moving reflections of the animated water on the lit walls and columns...

Before I forget: dune, you're right with the banana... in fact the two leaves in the window are not really modeled very good. I will change the plant with a dracena palm.

j meyer

The Dof thing is interesting.Reminds me of the fact that the AO effect is
not rendered behind transparent (glass or water shader) objects.
Seems to be a similar effect,if not the same.

If the banana texture is complete you could just modify the geometry of
the leaves maybe.
Keep it up Nils.

TheBadger

Some of this turned out really well. Lots of work I think. Always impressed when people make things work good that maybe shouldn't.
8)
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on May 23, 2015, 11:49:06 AM
The Dof thing is interesting.Reminds me of the fact that the AO effect is
not rendered behind transparent (glass or water shader) objects.
Seems to be a similar effect,if not the same.

If the banana texture is complete you could just modify the geometry of
the leaves maybe.
Keep it up Nils.

Hadn't noticed the AO behind transparency non effect and DoF has always been held in reserve due to rendertimes on my box so good info to know.

RE: the pic Doc, a dream catcher should be hung in a window as it does no metaphysical good against a wall according to my First Nations pals...have one in my bedroom window and dream sweetly every night. Didn't really notice it before all these fine improvements. Love the titles on the books on the shelf, that made a big if subtle difference.

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

Thanks bobbystar, I will see how I can give a better place to the dream catcher.

Today let's take a first glance at the landscape... The house and the pool must be somewhere, right?  :)

[attach=1]

First I just wanted to do a test, where the house could be... but I couldn't stop.
So I used the time to create something I always dreamed about: a big big rapeseed field... 

I don't know If it makes sense to animate the scene because I've made the experience that you never get rid of flickering of small objects like in grass populations... Let's wait and see.

Update 11:17 am:
I did a test: even with no camera changes (no movement) and with 16 frames blending GI I get flickering of grass...
Regardless of the AA settings (with high AA I only get a blurred flickering + exploded render time)
Is it something with the population? It seames the smaller the object or object part, the bigger the flickering.
With fast camera movements that is not as apparent but with a still or slow moving camera it's a problem.
Where is the trick - where is the mistake - where could this come from?

Cocateho

Quote from: DocCharly65 on May 25, 2015, 04:52:51 AM
Thanks bobbystar, I will see how I can give a better place to the dream catcher.

Today let's take a first glance at the landscape... The house and the pool must be somewhere, right?  :)

[attach=1]

First I just wanted to do a test, where the house could be... but I couldn't stop.
So I used the time to create something I always dreamed about: a big big rapeseed field... 

I don't know If it makes sense to animate the scene because I've made the experience that you never get rid of flickering of small objects like in grass populations... Let's wait and see.

Update 11:17 am:
I did a test: even with no camera changes (no movement) and with 16 frames blending GI I get flickering of grass...
Regardless of the AA settings (with high AA I only get a blurred flickering + exploded render time)
Is it something with the population? It seames the smaller the object or object part, the bigger the flickering.
With fast camera movements that is not as apparent but with a still or slow moving camera it's a problem.
Where is the trick - where is the mistake - where could this come from?

Funny, I have a big rapeseed field behind the house myself! Not mine, but I can go look whenever I want.[attach=1]

Also, when is this house going up for sale?  :P

As far as the image It seems very soft, is this the AA filter or is there a little DoF going on in the background?

Dune

Those must be millions of instances  :o

Verticals are hard, also in animation. Dorian and I had trouble with the vertical stems of reeds when doing animation. Perhaps if you shift the angle of the main object a bit, so they all are at a slight angle, that may help. It may.... not sure at all.

bobbystahr

Here in the colonies we call it [rapeseed] Canola because it's all GMO...sigh. That's why we can't sell it in the Euro Zone.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

I saw a similar field in 2012 too and was so impressed!
This is only a still from a video I made with my mobile:
[attach=1]

Dune, I think it must be about 2-3 million rapeseed plants (xFrog) and about 5-10 million grass-patches (Walli_plant_pack1)

I did some Experiments with your suggestion with angles up to 15 degree. The flickering just changes it's view but I don't get rid of it. Having more than 25 frames I could see it's so fast, that it's only disturbing if you focus it. But here in the forum we are naturally focused on  ;)

Beside I learned that I very often must care about the xFrog plants settings. Many of them need some work because the opacity image has to be added manually... I wondered why the colors were so dark and weird - missing opacity images were the solution.

Cocateho, no chance for a sale - that is to become my retirement home one day... if I ever win in a lottery - I guess I should start to play in one - right?  ;D
But I'll tell you if they build another house somewhere there :)
And the softness - There's just minimal blur, AA Filter and maybe also a lightly increased haze could be the cause.

Hannes

I like your last image a lot. It looks very calm and beautiful.
Anyway I think that you should try a higher occlusion weight (GISD). The bike seems to float. How are your settings?

DocCharly65

Hannes, maybe you bring me on the way to eliminate a mistake I saw in all the house-renders: where I don't have direct sunlight, I also don't get shadows...

Untill now I never played with occlusion weight. Actually set on 1,1,24 (occlusion, bounce, radius) + falloff activated
So far I didn't learn anything about the GI surface details settings - so I didn't touch them  ;)
I only use GI settings to avoid flickering in animations (blend mode "interpolate") and keep illumination on similar levels when I do different experiments with the same image (blend mode "one file")

At the moment some (animation) render jobs are running, but I will test when a PC is free again.

DocCharly65

I would have to take a closer look to the settings... occlusion weight wasn't set to active - the checkmark was missing!   :P
I will have to re-render many images!

But I already see improvements - less elements floating now  ;)
Additionally I added some new residents on the grass.
Recolored the Viper so it looks less intrusive now.
Some cucumber branches (I didn't like any of the ivy I found - so I improvised)

Little improvements - step by step...

[attach=1]

Here the same scene from inside the house (unfortunately with deleted glass - because of the problem with the DoF)

[attach=2]