screwing around with architecture

Started by TheBadger, July 04, 2015, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey,
I had been working on a greek city for a long while. But I got sick of looking at it and quit it for a good long time. But out of no where I could not think of anything else and got started again.

This is the first test render (there wont be more for a while), but at least I managed to get a RTO off test done. The fine detail is from a image map (BW) RTO off. My corners are holding together pretty well throughout, despite being not very high polly.

I need to try and use a fractal to mask where the image map is displacing in order to have more smooth areas. But I also need to decide if I am going to sculpt major decimations and weathering... I would prefer not to since it will take forever... Probably not a better way though.

[attachimg=1]

It has been eaten.

Zairyn Arsyn

Zlain likes what he sees...
looking forward to future renders.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

Thanks. Here is a slightly better treatment.

[attachimg=1]
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Happy you found your boneyard useful as well. That's where my Living Room Suite came from....looking good btw
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Cool, Michael. A pity you abandoned your city. I was under the impression that was a high goal of yours, though a bit vague  ;)

Kadri

I like it.
I hope you will finish it.
If it was a big project (because it is you and you said city, it is probably) it is sometimes easy to get tired of it in the long run.

I finished just today the last major scene of my animation after a long break. You know what i mean. Just do it :)

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

fleetwood

Badger : I hope this is what you wanted to see. This is my procedural crack pattern used on a cube (approx. 1 meter in TG)  made in C4D. Ray Trace Objects was off with small displacement (0.015). Larger displacements could be used but that gets spikey unless more is done to tone them down.

In order to match the Martian terrain reference, my specific goal with this pattern was variable cracks that change width in places as you follow them as opposed to a simple mix of fat cracks and thin cracks. 

bobbystahr

Now that really works, but... I'm missing the small pebble features in the cracks if I remember the image you made.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

WoW! That is working even much better than I guesed ;D Nice.

Well, I believe there is a good chance that I can do all in TG now, so if so, that will save me much time and also be far more simple both in pipeline and trial and error.

Now only to complain about not being able to export the power here out to other soft ;) ;D Or can I? ??? I can't export a model with TG texturing can I? No, no, thats not something I could forget.

What is the scale here? What are the dimensions of that cube?
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 05, 2015, 08:43:40 PM
Now that really works, but... I'm missing the small pebble features in the cracks if I remember the image you made.

Yes what about that? I can't seem to remember a reference thread at all about populating face stones to an object. Can we?!
It has been eaten.

fleetwood

The cube I'm using is about 1 meter per side in Terragen units.
Yes, you can apply fake stones to an object.
I have an example rendering now...

In my understanding, Fake stones are a specialized form of displacement shader, not a real population, so since Ray Tracing is Off for this render the fake stones have height and substance. With Ray Tracing ON they still appear but as spots on a bump map.

DocCharly65

I can only repeat what Kadri wrote ;)

I know the need of breaks sometimes too.

TheBadger

Quote from: fleetwood on July 06, 2015, 09:41:57 AM
The cube I'm using is about 1 meter per side in Terragen units.
Yes, you can apply fake stones to an object.
I have an example rendering now...

In my understanding, Fake stones are a specialized form of displacement shader, not a real population, so since Ray Tracing is Off for this render the fake stones have height and substance. With Ray Tracing ON they still appear but as spots on a bump map.

Do continue fleet. How long does your set up add in render time to the simple shape cube? I ask because right now I get VERY fast render times rendering my object (relatively).

I ask because its always a concern... Do I save time and energy using a set up like yours, and pay for it later when rendering for real. Or Would it in that case be better to sculpt that detail into the object (and maybe bake it in)... Not sure.
It would be a LOT of work to make all those cracks and chips by hand. And there are some issues other than time and energy too.

Anyway, the detail has to be real. Bump and other trickery wont fly for me on this. I want to be able to get my nose up against the stone if I feel like it, and have it show all that extra detail from being so close. The displacement/geometry must be real. That is the only way to have a totally real model.

@ Kadri,
Yes I know, "don't worry about polygons on the other side of the planet". But in this case I want one model to use for all possibilities. So every object will be a "Hero", despite that once the city is finished (10 thousand years from now), I will have to be far back to get it all in one image, and that detail will be lost to a degree.

At least I decided that I will hand paint the models, rather than using images to create the color, for this I will use MUD. And anything I can do in TG on top of that.

It has been eaten.