Rock study

Started by Kadri, August 23, 2015, 09:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

I had a try at something similar using procedural stretched noise and a color adjust. No environmental light. No GI and colorless atmosphere. As rendered. Camera looking down on some 100 meter fake stones.

And one more pointilistic type very simple with out any noise, just high contrast.

Kadri

Yes it does have potential. The real problem might be to mimic the way the artist uses the strokes-thickness according to slope,distance etc.

AP

Almost like you would need a gradient to control the size according the slope and distance. The gradient would cause the pattern to alter from thick to thin and what ever else is needed. I wonder if there are any current functions that can be of help? A Distance shader and maybe a blend mode in the Merge shader along the Multiply or Subtract affecting your noise and a bit of Colour adjust? Slope could still be a issue though.

fleetwood

Promise I won't horn in on any more in your thread Kadri but I'm Having too much fun. Last ones - A crosshatch effect and a stipple effect.
Maybe Get Altitude can be worked to change line thicknesses.

Kadri

Quote from: fleetwood on November 04, 2015, 06:39:08 PM
Promise I won't horn in on any more in your thread Kadri...

I said it before don't hesitate to post,i have absolute no problem with it :)

Had no time to look closer at your files. Tomorrow hopefully.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on September 30, 2015, 05:51:18 PM

I had a 2 years or so old file that i used this time.
With lateral displacements i got it much closer to how i wanted the image.
Rene van Megen's use of Lateral displacement made me curious how my file would look.
The far side was bad so i painted it crudely out.Would be just as easy to mask it in Terragen anyway.
This test was only about the general rock structures so there is only two colors for surfaces.
I exaggerated the GISD like Martin (TU) to see the structures better.

This is very cool looking. Totally reminds me of some like African valley rolling into some crazy cliffs. Or maybe Australia.

mhaze

Kadri

:)

Inspired by this thread:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21407.msg214886.html#msg214886

That image is great. I think for a modeler the best is to use something like Zbrush, 3DCoat or any other modeler.
But still there are things in Terragen that are easy and fast to use. Like clouds.
Interesting that we see not much use of them. Texturing them can be different or harder maybe,
but you can get different rock shapes much easier like the one below. This is just a quick example.

Dune

Great! Particle system! But it must be slow to render?

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on April 08, 2016, 05:51:11 AM
Great! Particle system! But it must be slow to render?

Ooops! Wasn't clear enough i think Ulco.
That is made from a cloud object (3 local ones actually) in Terragen.

AP

How dense is it? How are you achieving those textures? It looks just like a true solid surface.    8)

Kadri

Same as this:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,18917.msg204014.html#msg204014
There is another link for an older example file below in that thread.

Just make it dense enough like "1" and use high sharpening values like 80-100.
You can use much different values.
The texture is a camera projected image.

With local clouds the render time isn't slow.
Instead of textures i used powerfractals for the displacement of course.

AP

I had made some cases for sharp clouds near those numbers but never tried such a density. I have yet to try out a camera projected image though. Good stuff. Thank You. I will have to run some experiments soon.

Kadri

This example rendered in 12 minutes.
You can get some harder to do structures as in the right lower parts for free with this cloud-rock aproach.