Transform Input and Keep Position

Started by WAS, December 02, 2015, 12:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

How do you think one would go about keeping the same position of a texture, after up-scaling it. So you effectively just have a larger mask/shape in the same position (or smaller if you down-scale) I notice when I transform input, it also moves it's location.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 02, 2015, 12:44:40 PM
How do you think one would go about keeping the same position of a texture, after up-scaling it. So you effectively just have a larger mask/shape in the same position (or smaller if you down-scale) I notice when I transform input, it also moves it's location.

You've set the Transform to World right?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 02, 2015, 07:49:36 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on December 02, 2015, 12:44:40 PM

You've set the Transform to World right?

Yes, definitely, though I am not sure this feature works when disconnected from the main network and consequently the compute terrain? Checked, or unchecked the mask location looks the same.

AP

Did you reconnect that node? It should work with the proper coordinate change with what Bobby suggested.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 03, 2015, 02:04:29 AM
Did you reconnect that node? It should work with the proper coordinate change with what Bobby suggested.

Reconnect? I don't understand? I mean that what is being transformed is independent of the world. Or should I give it a compute normal/terrain? It's like the voronoi noise setups for our canyon wall displacement.

AP

Maybe i misunderstood. I don't think a compute would be needed. At least i never ran into these issues.

WAS

Just create a PF disconnected from everything, and pipe it into a transform input. It will always be adjusted to the right of the original texture. World space or not.

Hetzen

You're going to have to post something to explain what your looking for. I'm not sure what you're asking I'm afraid.

WAS

This is what I am having issues with. The Wrong output, is the output I get using transform input on my masks. The Right output is the desired (and assumed) output.

Hetzen

Is that circle centered at 0,0,0?

Scale in noise works from those coordinates, so if it's not centered it will have a bias away/towards the origin.

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on December 03, 2015, 05:07:18 PM
Is that circle centered at 0,0,0?

Scale in noise works from those coordinates, so if it's not centered it will have a bias away/towards the origin.

It's based a PF so, it's a planet wide mask.

Hetzen

Scale only works uniformly from the origin in TG for noise.

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on December 03, 2015, 09:14:21 PM
Scale only works uniformly from the origin in TG for noise.

Bummer. Such a limitation without re-creating the wheel in functions I don't fully understand. Really need a rasterize function to pipe in any PF and have it act almost like a heightmap, ability to control width/height (cropping) and origin. Been told it's too hard to do, but I honestly see it as being easy, or at least straight forward. You literally take the defined area of width height and origin, and export as a TIFF into temp and load it to use like a heightmap/image shader.

Oshyan

You should be able to solve such issues with some simple math. You know how much larger you're scaling it and thus should know how much this will offset it by doing a little calculation. Then just shift it back by that amount. I think that should work.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 04, 2015, 04:39:13 PM
You should be able to solve such issues with some simple math. You know how much larger you're scaling it and thus should know how much this will offset it by doing a little calculation. Then just shift it back by that amount. I think that should work.

- Oshyan

Yeah, I think that is doable. I just need to define my size better.