Another DPI question... But regarding textures for 3d

Started by TheBadger, January 08, 2016, 01:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Quoteprojectors use DPI scaling

If that is right that may be relevant. I remember that I had to transfer 16mm film to video once for a class, or it was video to film (I don't recall which direction now) but the point is that we used a projector to do it, which ever direction it was. Another example may be this: https://shop.the-impossible-project.com/shop/instant-lab-universal instant lab. But I am not sure i understand at all the other stuff we are talking about in this thread, so I cannot be at all sure it can be applied to non traditional printing.

But anyway, I will go with- it does not mater for any purpose anyone here will use the model and textures for- and just stop worrying about it.  ;D not easy for a worrier.

@Kadri
THANK YOU!! lol Always can count on you  :)
QuoteThe DPI scaling is relative to the screen size and how close the pixels are shown on an TV,tablet etc. A small 1920x1080 device is harder to read when it does have the same size fonts as on an 32 inch monitor. So the GUI can show the fonts for example bigger or smaller according the DPI scaling number. They could use pixels too for those things but it does have a history behind it that uses DPI. And it isn't wrong but unfortunately confuses people.

Probably some code writer is using some aspect of it to do something proprietary in some games?
It has been eaten.

Kadri

If you want to print a screen of a game then the print size is important.

Say you want to print  in A4 size. That is by 300 DPI  2480 x 3508 pixels. This is already bigger then a 1980 x 1080 HD monitor resolution.
So if you made  your game or whatever textures for HD monitor resolution they will not look as good.
And if you want to show some parts of the game much closer the worse they will look.

For that kind of work you have to use much bigger images of course.
So it all depends where the image will be used how close you will get and if they will be printed or used in other devices.
Easy  ;D

TheBadger

"EASY"

What was that someone was saying about some guy named MR. Awesome?

;D
It has been eaten.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on January 08, 2016, 08:42:31 PM
Say you want to print  in A4 size. That is by 300 DPI  2480 x 3508 pixels. This is already bigger then a 1980 x 1080 HD monitor resolution.
So if you made  your game or whatever textures for HD monitor resolution they will not look as good.
And if you want to show some parts of the game much closer the worse they will look

A lot of modern games use downscaling now, and games that down support it have mods to enable it (like Dark Souls 2) where you can punch in 4096p reoslution and have it render on screen at 1920x1080 allowing for a much smoother appearance of textures and lines then AA can provide.

Kinda like the photoshop technique to make mechanical wires and machinery. You start in a 5-10k canvas and then downscale to the desired size (like 500x500 pixels), bringing in detail that wasn't there before. This is how a lot of UI elements are made.

Kadri

Yes but that is mostly for Antialiasing. Down scaling isn't a problem(from a quality aspect). Up scaling is unfortunately.

Kadri

Quote from: WASasquatch on January 08, 2016, 08:48:03 PM
Kinda like the photoshop technique to make mechanical wires and machinery. You start in a 5-10k canvas and then downscale to the desired size (like 500x500 pixels), bringing in detail that wasn't there before. This is how a lot of UI elements are made.

Not sure what you mean Was. You are getting rid of detail in that way actually.
But depending on the work you might kind of enhance (getting a different look?) the look of some parts by doing that.
But i wouldn't call that bringing detail that wasn't there before.Because it isn't bringing detail.
You can't do that in both ways(upsc.or downsc.) except using some advanced techniques and they use more then one image so far i know for this.

Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on January 08, 2016, 08:56:58 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on January 08, 2016, 08:48:03 PM

Not sure what you mean Was. You are getting rid of detail in that way actually.
But depending on the work you might kind of enhance (getting a different look?) the look of some parts by doing that.
But i wouldn't call that bringing detail that wasn't there before.Because it isn't bringing detail.
You can't do that in both ways(upsc.or downsc.) except using some advanced techniques and they use more then one image so far i know for this.

What I mean is you take bland (from a 5k 10k image) project and downscale it into what now looks like it was meant to be and realisitic via a minimalistic design.

These box parts were made at 10x the size and then down-scaled to create realism from basic shapes and gradients.

This same approach is now used in games by rendering at higher resolutions then the display resolution, and then down-scaling.

Oshyan

It's a technique called Supersampling, it's been in practice for decades and is a form of antialiasing. Once again nothing whatsoever to do with DPI...

- Oshyan

Kadri

Like Oshyan said.
Hardware like Graphics cards or even TV, monitors etc. have some settings to alter change-render the image in some different ways.
It is not always related like you think it is at least.

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on January 08, 2016, 09:41:10 PM
It's a technique called Supersampling, it's been in practice for decades and is a form of antialiasing. Once again nothing whatsoever to do with DPI...

- Oshyan

Didn't say it was, it was in response to Kadri and screen resolution of games.